which medical insurance?

chris said:
Totallly disagree about Aleman. I know of some bad experiences there. The Italian Hospital is definitely better but the problem is that if you belong to a medical plan that is linked to only one hospital you don't have options. You really need to think about that when you sign up. MEDICUS I'm pretty sure would allow you to go to several of the best clinics.

Medicus has their own clinics in Belgrano, Recoleta, Zona Norte, etc. They are state of the art by Argentine standards. I would be surprised if Medicus allowed you to go to others. Nonetheless, you do have many doctors to choose from throughout the city.

Reactions: DJP
I don't know how Medicus works. I had a friend some years ago who was in MEDICUS. He was treated for cancer at IADT which is one of the very best clinics in BA. Maybe they have changed their policies and now require you only to use MEDICUS facilities. I don't know. I do know that when I checked with MEDICUS a number of years ago they told me that I could use the privte clinics that I like however that may have changed. I have no idea. One of the reasons that I like OMINT is the freedom that it gives me to go where I want but it really is getting awfully expensive.

thanks for the comments, I'm now under treatment with a urologist and a physiotherapist but I imagine that won't be a problem there.
And about the Aleman...indeed: I heard before good and bad stories, difficult to make a choice!
cheers

I should have been clear that I only used the Medicus clinics for routine tests in CF...nothing major. I was "told" to go to the Medicus clinics for them and didn't think there was an option. I've never had to pay any out of pocket expenses.

As there are no Medicus clinics where I now live I have to use other clinics. I recently saw a physician for a physical at a private clinic in Punta Alta and lab tests were done at a private lab. If I need major medical attention I'm sure I have a number of options in Bahia Blanca regarding choice of facilities, though when I asked about it at the Medicus clinc in Blegrano, the woman I spoke with told me I would only be covered for emergencies here.

Perhaps she thought I as asking if I would be covered for foreign travel. Even after four years in CF my Spanish wasn't very good. I changed my address a month later and did not even try to find a doctor here for over a year, and then just for the routine physical and tests. I was actually a bit surprised when they accepted my Medicard without comment.

Hospital Italiano, I am 35 yo, is a plan a point above the simplest one, called GP2, no copays, or very little ones, dental work including one crown per year free of charge, 350 PESOS per month. I live in the Western suburbs, so I have the central HI in Almagro, the advanced technology HI in near San Justo, and HI medical centers in each suburb around me. Also the Hospital Posadas near-by (free, state-owned) has been improved a lot, good attention, superb staff.

Steve, I am still confused. DOES Medicus, the plan you have, allow you to be treated at IADT, MATER DEI and other good clinics in BA? When I checked with them a few years ago the answer was YES. Your plan, though, may be less comprehensive. Does anyone out there have this plan? If so, could you tell us about your experience with it?

OSDE prices would be as follows (all prices in pesos): 1044 per month for Level 210, 1353 for Plan 310, 1727 for 410, 2529 for 450 and 4034 for level 510.

Reactions: DJP
chris said:
Steve, I am still confused. DOES Medicus, the plan you have, allow you to be treated at IADT, MATER DEI and other good clinics in BA? When I checked with them a few years ago the answer was YES. Your plan, though, may be less comprehensive. Does anyone out there have this plan? If so, could you tell us about your experience with it?

I don't know the answer. I do have the most comprehensive plan available, but I've only had tests, no treatment of any kind.

So the 510 plan would be ~1,000 U$S. Why so expensive ??

Back