which medical insurance?

mariano-BCN

Registered
I'm 46 y, freelancer, healthy though with little minuses of this age :-( and will have to look out for a local medical insurance if I stay for long in BsArs. It seems Swiss Medical and OSDE are the most complete -and probably the most expensive?- insurances here?
Anybody have a suggestion or critic?
thanks a lot in advance!

OMINT is probably the most prestigious but not the largest company. I find it getting very expensive however they have all sorts of plans, some far more comprehensive than others.

thanks for the responses, have no clue about the prices, pls mention.
cheers

I have OSDE 210, the most basic OSDE plan. Since I'm in the youngest age bracket (18-25, valid until the day you turn 26) it's ˜400 pesos per month. The price has gone up 15% twice in the past year, and will surely keep going up next year. They all will, but I can't complain since it's still incredible compared to the U.S. healthcare system. The older you are, the more expensive your monthly payment will be. My boyfriend is in the next age bracket of OSDE 210 and pays about 510 pesos per month, for example.

I've been pleased with it, but do research what is covered. For example, my boyfriend just got ACL surgery and that and all pre- and post-surgery consultations are covered, including his overnight stay in a private room at the clinic, but he had to pay for the knee screws a la carte, that or go up to plan 310. They were 3750 pesos--ouch. 50% percent of the total cost of the screws, since they were imported.

The process was quite simple. I went to the OSDE branch at Corrientes y Reconquista, took a number, and was called to a representative's desk in 5 minutes. He took my name, passport number, and asked a surprisingly small number of questions (do you smoke, what surgeries have you had, etc.) I left with an official signed slip of paper to carry in my wallet stating that I was covered effective immediately. Didn't pay a dime. A few weeks later, I received my first bill in the mail. They will prorate it. So for example, if you start Oct. 7, they will not charge you for the entire month of October. You must receive the card in person. They will not just drop it in the mailbox. You can request that they send it to your place of work if that's easier.

Unless you have a chronic health condition, I'd say start at 210. If something happens, you can always move up in the plan. They don't really punish you for pre-existing conditions like they do in the U.S. As someone who has used her insurance for everything from general checkups to emergency room visits to free birth control pills to cardiac surgery consultations, it gives me great peace of mind.

If you get one of the better OSDE or Swiss plans, considering your age, you will probably pay just under/around 2,000 pesos/month. I think it gets steep once you fall out of the range of the NEO (teens/early twenties) and Joven (until mid 30s) plans. Perhaps a slightly lesser plan will cost you around 1,000 pesos (but there are hidden costs with some of them that they don't highlight to you at first...lesser discount on meds, a small fee per appointment, etc so you really have to ask all the questions).
I know that "Medicus" used to do a deal for expats. I have no idea if that is still going.

My boyfriend and I (both 26) got the very basic plan through Medicus for just under 1000 pesos per month for both of us (we added international coverage). Haven't used it yet, but was very easy to set up.

at 59 yo I was quoted U$S 321 per month for the best plan no deductibles
no copay..Swiss Medical
as I have no pre-existing illnesses I would probably not need the "gold" plan
anyone have any thoughts
Also (and I probably shouldn't say this) but as a medical provider this is a lot better than I could get in the US including plans with a 3,500 U$D deductible
and co-pays and exclusions on coverage.
and the major hospitals here are excellent............and that is a professional opinion

Ashley said:
If you get one of the better OSDE or Swiss plans, considering your age, you will probably pay just under/around 2,000 pesos/month. I think it gets steep once you fall out of the range of the NEO (teens/early twenties) and Joven (until mid 30s) plans. Perhaps a slightly lesser plan will cost you around 1,000 pesos (but there are hidden costs with some of them that they don't highlight to you at first...lesser discount on meds, a small fee per appointment, etc so you really have to ask all the questions).
I know that "Medicus" used to do a deal for expats. I have no idea if that is still going.

I had Omint's best coverage until 2008. When the premium hit $800 I switched to Swiss and was paying $600 for almost the same level of coverage. A few months later I joined the expat plan with Medicus at $350. That (top of the line) premium today (with the recent increase) is $607 and I'm 61.

nikad said:
Medicus,Galeno, Hospital Aleman and Hospital Italiano are just as good

Totallly disagree about Aleman. I know of some bad experiences there. The Italian Hospital is definitely better but the problem is that if you belong to a medical plan that is linked to only one hospital you don't have options. You really need to think about that when you sign up. MEDICUS I'm pretty sure would allow you to go to several of the best clinics.

Back