Who are the future BAEXPATS?

Liam3494 said:
Given the term ex-pats usually refers to those who have come to stay for a while, maybe we should really be asking "Who are the next wave of Immigrants to Argentina going to be"? i'.e. Those who have/will permanently set up their stall here.[/QUOTE

LOTS of Chinese are moving here to Buenos Aires permanently. It amazes me these people. They work such long hours and most of them own their own business. While I've lived here in 7 years in the early nears I really didn't see too many Chinese around areas like Recoleta. But now they are everywhere. You see many small grocery stores scattered about town, many own restaurants or cafes or kioskos. Heck in Recoleta they even own the photo print place where we get all our photos printed and developed.

My wife befriended one as she has kids the same age as ours. She has her daughter in school just a few years old learning English, Spanish and Chinese.

I believe you'll probably see more Chinese moving in. They are hard workers. Unfortunately most expats from first world countries don't seem to be as hard of workers or kind of lazy.

Liam3494 said:
Given the term ex-pats usually refers to those who have come to stay for a while, maybe we should really be asking "Who are the next wave of Immigrants to Argentina going to be"? i'.e. Those who have/will permanently set up their stall here.

As a foreigner with an Argentine does that make you an immigrant? That is my 'official' status, married to an Argentine, and we have no intentions of leaving. Watching Margaret Thatcher on the steps of Downing Street with David Cameron hardly incites me to return home.
I can not comment on 'expats' as i know very few foreigners here - but i live a nice life, i have my own business.
Perhaps its people like me that are the next wave, those married or who have Argentine partners and have no problem adapting to some of the more frustrating parts of the society. The last time i was in England i enjoyed seeing family and friends, but nothing appeals there any more - inflation/insecurity etc etc?!?! - still don't want to live there.

I've lived abroad for twenty years in about ten different countries, different languages, different climate, different cuisine, culture and creeds.

the only thing they all had in common?? A bunch of chicken littles running around, wings across the top of their heads, screaming how the sky was falling down...."I've never known it so bad", "things are changing here now...it's worse than ever", "the good days are over".

and it never happens. Things roll on. Others come in. Some leave. Some stay. There'll be another of these threads in a couple of years as there were undoubtedly others a couple of years ago.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Lee said:
Oh big deaL...SO you fucked a local and there you go...now 8 year later your job isn't what you thought it would be.

Sad anit it. I probably spent tonight on dinner what your monthly rent is...wow...so sad.

Not really interested in you. You are common. Like rats...

Everywhere but NO ONE WANTS THEM AROUND.

Sorry, but who are you?? So angry. So sad. So pathetic.

I'm actually very financially sound and I own my company so my job is just fine. We earn in Euros and Dollars and I would venture I make more in 1 hour than you do in a month (seriously).

Clearly you aren't getting "fucked" enough by the locals cause wow...someone has serious issues.

My POINT was that while I still feel Buenos Aires is the best city in Latin America and I don't plan on leaving, HOWEVER, the LUSTER (that's shine) is starting to fade.

Lee must be speaking from personal experience when he says "NO ONE WANTS THEM AROUND". No one wants to be around someone like him, burdened as he is by that poisonous bitterness.

In fact, his post is so full of vitriol that it doesn't make any sense - what does "Sad anit it" mean? And who cares how much he spends on dinner? Besides the waiter, I mean...! ;)

Well whatever your opinion is I think we can agree that's its getting tougher to live in Argentina. Tougher requirements to get residency, high inflation, rising crime, other issues. About the only I think that's a certainty is that there will be fewer expats a year from now if the current trends continue.

Probably Steve is right and Lee was drunk when wrote that awful post. But alcohol just removes inhibitions and exposes the true self.

More than help with substance abuse, he needs help in dealing with the source of his vitriol and hatred. I hope he gets a good shrink, here or wherever he moves next. Life is too short to waste it carrying such a heavy burden.

Unless you're earning a steady income in foreign currency, it's becoming more and more of a struggle to settle down here. I am 29, will soon be finishing graduate school, and need to start thinking methodically about practical and financial concerns. I love many things about Argentina, but being able to find high-paying work in the US, Europe, or Asia makes it difficult to justify a salary in pesos that barely covers living expenses (much less allows us to travel or build up our savings.) And even though I am lucky enough to already have significant savings, I'd be a chump to squander them away until I'm so broke I have to go home anyway. My partner is Argentine, but we agree it would be much wiser to live/work in Europe and leave BA for annual summer vacations. My guess is that other foreigners who want to be strategic about their long-term plans might end up making a similar choice.

I go to AA regularly (I'm an alcoholic) and it is a very great help to me.
I haven't become evangelical, but you really can say things in the group that you may otherwise not to those who are not alcoholics.
Having said that, I am not for a moment suggesting that Lee is an alcoholic. I would like to make that clear.
Sorry to get off topic.

... and that was coming from the guy that was looking for a halloween costume to dress his chihuahua.

Back