Who are the future BAEXPATS?

steveinbsas said:
I didn't take your first post personally but this one was very personal.

Really? Telling someone to relax is "very personal"? Okay then.

steveinbsas said:
What's defensive about expressing a different point of view? Who did I belittle? Why resort to such condescending pseudo-psychology? If you disagree just say so. That's exactly what I did, as well as express a different opinion.

There was nothing condescending about my post. If you took it that way that's not my problem.

steveinbsas said:
Here is a personal opinion: I think the idea that there are "millions of people who would literally sell their children to live and work in Buenos Aires on a peso salary" is an extremely absurd (if not offensive) idea.

Well then I would say you clearly have not traveled and lived in a third world country before. Because I can assure you as absurd and as sad as it sounds, it literally does happen everyday. So lets forget about child slavery being an "idea" and recognize that it is a fact. By the way I agree it is offensive and an abomination so I'm glad you see it that way too.

steveinbsas said:
PS: If I were any calmer than I am now (living here) I would be in a coma.

Good to know.

here although I think the profile of the typical Expat is changing and has been evident over the last few years.

When I moved here 7 years ago you had younger expats bragging how cheap it was. I don't see that now.... And that is ok...
I think this is a function of several factors. One is the internet and the ability of many people with significant jobs able to work remotely, or just have jobs they can always do remotely so there is less emphasis on having to be in a fixed location. Two, i think is a positive sign for the local economy that it matures beyond the "backpacker spot". Sure its exciting, but most backpackers do not settle in and start businesses and bring jobs. You need entrepreneurs and businesses that cater to them to grow and improve. Money does solve problems...until enough money causes problems....

You have something against Chihuahuas
Yes, Yes I do. They cannot perform any of the most basic "dog jobs" such as protection of familial manse, fetching of large sticks, or pulling of sleighs through the snow. And they are often festooned in the most atrociously ridiculous costumes as to be a mere mockery of all things canine. These sad clown princes of something resembling dogs. I weep for the bitch from whence they came.

earlyretirement said:
Steve,
I think it's only natural for ExPats on an ex pat site such as this to compare life back "home". I really doubt many people on "BAExpats" are from Mercosur countries or really poor countries. I could be wrong but I just don't get that impression after reading the posts.

Agreed. The computer access alone should give it away. Spoiled rotten. I'll admit that I am. I don't want to say we all are and start a message board riot, but seriously $100 usd/week minimum wage here is crazy in u.s. terms. That's like my wine budget. I have a friend that spends more on her dog's health insurance, grooming and sitter in NYC. I know a guy who puts his labrador in a black car and sends it to a farm upstate for the weekend. I know we aren't all living on crazy money, but there's no way that any of us from the U.S. can even begin to compare their situation with that of a local.

I feel bad that everyone is so upset, but rising costs are the mark of success, it's what the market will bear, a dog buys dog world out there, and all the expats (like me) brought it onto ourselves. We moved here. We tell all our friend to visit. The NY Times writes articles on all the stuff we know is awesome and we take advantage of: great food, cheap wine...and suddenly, not unexpectedly the real estate market blows up, food cost more, wine cost more, plane tickets cost more. Welcome to the free market! Best course of action is figure out what sells and take advantage of this emerging market while we can. Worst course, go broke bitching about it.

The last post really rings true - I remember when Bangkok was fairly cheap to live in as an expat and how the expat group I spent my time with would spend a lot of time convincing our comparatively wealthy visitors from 'back home' to NOT pay the official price for everything and to barter and shop around like we did - because at the end of the day they went back home to their western jobs and income and we were there (most of us) being paid in Thai Baht still etc...

I get the impression that a lot of us expats go to a place that is really great, and in a sense we are our own worst enemies because we tell everyone else how great it is, they all turn up, demand puts a squeeze on supply and prices go up and eventually, hey presto, its just as expensive as it was 'back home' :) lol

I'm not sure if I am crazy or not - because I'm not coming to Argentina for economic reasons - yes it will be good to work in my profession again - I'll have a full professorship down there - something I would not get in Australia - especially since I never finished my PhD (I only have bachelors, honours and masters) - but for ME the reason I am coming is that the woman I love lives there and we want to make a life together...

We'll start out by renting (we have our apartment in Belgrano lined up for the first 6 months and after that, depending on how everything goes, we should be in a position to buy - or buy after renting for an additional 6 months...

I wonder if I am a bit strange/different to the average expat in other ways too - because the whole time I spent down there in July I spent with locals - friends of my girlfriend and Argentine friends I have made online...

For me the long term goal is to learn the language properly, become part of the scene down there and put down roots - I'm someone who has citizenship of 3 countries - and family in all 3 - but none of them are places I see myself wanting to live long term...

I guess for me this is about starting again and quality of life and the good friends I have already made down there who have already become like 'family' to me etc...

At the end of the day I know I'll need to make enough money to live and to pursue the things I love doing (shooting, camping, a bit of travel, etc.) but the reality is that if I don't exactly get rich as long as I can keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and we can have some quality of life and enjoy our friends - well - thats probably enough for me...

John :)

Johnno said:
I'm not sure if I am crazy or not - because I'm not coming to Argentina for economic reasons - yes it will be good to work in my profession again - I'll have a full professorship down there - something I would not get in Australia - especially since I never finished my PhD (I only have bachelors, honours and masters) - but for ME the reason I am coming is that the woman I love lives there and we want to make a life together...

We'll start out by renting (we have our apartment in Belgrano lined up for the first 6 months and after that, depending on how everything goes, we should be in a position to buy - or buy after renting for an additional 6 months...

I wonder if I am a bit strange/different to the average expat in other ways too - because the whole time I spent down there in July I spent with locals - friends of my girlfriend and Argentine friends I have made online...

For me the long term goal is to learn the language properly, become part of the scene down there and put down roots - I'm someone who has citizenship of 3 countries - and family in all 3 - but none of them are places I see myself wanting to live long term...

I guess for me this is about starting again and quality of life and the good friends I have already made down there who have already become like 'family' to me etc...

At the end of the day I know I'll need to make enough money to live and to pursue the things I love doing (shooting, camping, a bit of travel, etc.) but the reality is that if I don't exactly get rich as long as I can keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and we can have some quality of life and enjoy our friends - well - thats probably enough for me...

With your attitude, I'm sure your life in Argentina will be rich in good experiences.

Having local connections makes ALL, I repeat, ALL the difference. Expats or permatourists who don't develop them see only the seedy side of Argentina, and are totally oblivious to the other side that makes living here worthwhile.

There is a parallel world of Argentines who are true friends, don't cheat each other, lend you thousands of dollars without even a handshake, offer help before you even ask, and take you in when you are feeling low.

Sadly, that world is not very receptive of expats - Argentines tend to stick to family and people they have known for a long time, and are generally uninterested in foreigners.

There are exceptions, like close friends Argentines made in a foreign university, or when a foreigner marries into the family. In that case, they are instantly accepted and integrated into the group. But unless there is an "in", people are not very open and show nothing beyond superficial politeness.

Johnno said:
The last post really rings true - I remember when Bangkok was fairly cheap to live in as an expat and how the expat group I spent my time with would spend a lot of time convincing our comparatively wealthy visitors from 'back home' to NOT pay the official price for everything and to barter and shop around like we did - because at the end of the day they went back home to their western jobs and income and we were there (most of us) being paid in Thai Baht still etc...

I get the impression that a lot of us expats go to a place that is really great, and in a sense we are our own worst enemies because we tell everyone else how great it is, they all turn up, demand puts a squeeze on supply and prices go up and eventually, hey presto, its just as expensive as it was 'back home' :) lol

John, you seem to have all the right reasons and attitude to succeed here. Can we make a date to check back in with you in 3 years? I think the fairweather expats tend to bow out on or before that time and the true stalwarts remain...Talk to you November 4th 2013!

OT:

A&A said:
Yes, Yes I do. They cannot perform any of the most basic "dog jobs" such as protection of familial manse, fetching of large sticks, or pulling of sleighs through the snow. And they are often festooned in the most atrociously ridiculous costumes as to be a mere mockery of all things canine. These sad clown princes of something resembling dogs. I weep for the bitch from whence they came.

First of all Chihuahuas are the best guard dogs because they are the first to sound the alarm while the GS is over in the corning snoozing.

Second, go get your own stick.

Third, the fact that they are dressed up is not the fault of the Chihuahuas. Mine have never worn clothes. I've seen more sweaters & t-shirts on dogs in this city than anywhere else, ever and they aren't Chihuahuas.

Are you going to hate on all the golden retrievers who are dressed up in costumes?

http://www.costumedogs.com/archives/peace-love-and-a-hippie-dog

back to your regularly scheduled program.

If you will see my original post i said: "protection of familial manse", the high pitched screeching of the slightly larger than gigantic rodent canine is not Protection. Much like the car alarm, or the mine shaft canary these noise makers do nothing but annoy and once detected instill laughter and not the appropriate fear of arm chewing that will truly deter a burgler. Even black clad cat burglers would not fear the "rabid" aural assault of the "fearsome" attack chihuahua!!

Second, If I have a stick in my hand, and I throw it,,,why would I go I get it? Dogs love this stuff...real dogs!!! with fangs, and not jewel encrusted leashes!!

Third, Everyone knows that costumes are for people, and maybe select primates such as circus trained chimpanzees! C'mon...

And Finally, and I did not want to pull out the big guns: Paris Hilton has a chihuahua!! Oh yeah, I totally went there...I didn't want to..but I did...just went right there. The "ditzy hollywood celbu-tard card!!" I played it! There is no coming back from that.

Oh...and back to the OP....the new expats will definitely be foreigners!

A&A said:
And Finally, and I did not want to pull out the big guns: Paris Hilton has a chihuahua!! Oh yeah, I totally went there...I didn't want to..but I did...just went right there. The "ditzy hollywood celbu-tard card!!" I played it! There is no coming back from that.

It's really sad that you live your life based on what Paris Hilton does. :rolleyes:

(I will add a ;) so you know it's all in jest.... I love ALL dogs! I want to take all the street dogs home. PS, My cleaning lady has a Rotty puppy for sale if anyone wants one).

Back