Who's considering it after thinking they would never...?

I feel for you allcraz. We have no plans on moving back and due to some personal work plans we couldn't for a few years even if we/he wanted. However we do have vague plans to end up in the States at some point. I completely understand your stresses about him being ok in the states (incidentally Texas near the Austin area for me too!). While I worry about him and taking him away from his friends and family, I also feel like I deserve to be by my family and childhood friends just as much as he does. At least there are non stop flights from Houston to Buenos Aires to keep shuttling us back and forth!

I've been hear just over 5 years and am seriously thinking of going back to the US. However, things aren't all puppies and rainbows there either. I moved from the US about 7 years ago (though I have been back numerous times). THAT US is much different than what I would be returning to.

The one thing I have in Argentina is a stable job, primarily because they pay me much less than they would in the US. When I moved here, it was a decent salary, but with inflation, etc. it's not so great now. It is definitely possible to find a job in my field (IT) as I would be returning to San Francisco, but it's definitely not automatic and that may change in the next 6+ months.

I'm really just waiting to see what happens here and in the US early next year. A lot will depend on how things go with the elections as well as what crazy shit CFK has in store for us.

I always try to remain as adaptable and flexible as possible. It's much easier to do with no family, property, etc. I empathize with those who aren't as unencumbered or who have no option of leaving.

One thing I will add, if it weren't for the double whammie of currency controls and inflation, topped off with my company's inability to understand that inflation salary increases are normal in Argentina, I would be content to stay here indefinitely.

Lauren23 said:
As much as I really want to pick up and leave (a little more with each day), my husband will never go. His extended family is here, therefore he is here.

Never say never. I thought the same. I have a photographic memory before marriage (because we did make sure to discuss the topic before marriage) of him saying that he would not want to raise a family outside Argentina, and I could deal with that. And now he's looking at Austin homes online.

I agree with what many of you said in that we could always come back at some point if we somehow felt that would be best for us.

sleslie23 said:
One thing I will add, if it weren't for the double whammie of currency controls and inflation, topped off with my company's inability to understand that inflation salary increases are normal in Argentina, I would be content to stay here indefinitely.

Yes, there are many things I have been able to deal with while other expats around me complain and I try to cheer them up. I am not the expat who leaves because she's tired of dog poop and not being able to choose from an ungodly selection of cereals. I have kept a cheerful composure for the better part of 5.5 years, but I can see that's changing. And I hate that. I consider myself a positive person, and if I see that changing for the worse, I have to stop and think. And think hard. Every day it's something more, and I guess I've about reached my quota.

I thought y'all might find my dad's take on this interesting. He believes we have the perfect life here. The fact that the country is becoming Venezuela doesn't seem to bother him.

Sure, we had rather have you 2 closer BUT--------you seem to live a good life, go out more than normal, have your place paid for plus an extra one, good disposable income, a part time maid, a nice car, go to work at noon, surely less debt than those you graduated with, better trips than most anyone and other things I don't think of at this time.

Perhaps we do and I'm blind? Ha. Suffering from the grass-is-greener syndrome. He is right about a lot of it, though. There's no way I would have stuck around this long without most of what he mentions. I promise my dad loves me, haha. He just wants what's best for us, and he thinks it's here. The thing is, if we have all that here, what's keeping us from having it in the States? (Except for the maid...I realize that's totally not happening.)

Anyway, I've shared too much. But thank you...it's been nice to get some stuff off my chest.

allcraz said:
Been here since early 2007. Have spoken positively and negatively on this forum of a city I have come to dearly love. I met my husband early on, and we never talked about making a move to the States. Never. We were happy here. We still are if we can manage to momentarily separate ourselves from all the chaos the government continues to throw at us (and everyone). We have a good life here. Family (his), friends, property, my job. He was let go after 15 years at a bank a little over a year ago and has really struggled to find something since then. I'm just wondering if there are people in our boat who have either made the move after doubting it or are currently having doubts while planning an escape route just in case? I read about everyone who can't wait to leave and who is planning to leave, but we haven't taken that mental jump yet. I guess it's really hard to picture us in the States. Just for more info, any potential move would be to Austin, Texas, back closer to my family and safety and the Hill Country and oh the list could go on. But I'll be honest. I don't picture us there. I'm worried about his English (decent but extremely far from fluent), about work, about him missing his country, family and friends even though he says he's ready for a change...

Anyway, I've just been really torn. You would think I would be excited that the Argie is the one ready to leave and make a life near MY home, but I'm nervous, and if you've been there too, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

My wife and I bought a house in March back in the U.S. and aside from a short return trip (that ends in Oct), we'll be spending a large majority of the year in the U.S. WE CAN'T WAIT!!

This country has gone from ok, to crap, to crappier, to Venezuela and even my Argentine wife who vowed she would never leave is already asking me to change our ticket so we can get back to the U.S. sooner (and she has family here).

GO! Get out why you can! Pretty soon, the Gov won't let anyone leave without giving them all your blood and money.

I've discussed the details in another thread, the reasons cited here plus crime and the fact that Microsoft made a fantastic offer convinced us to move. The crime rate is terrible in Buenos Aires, and its gotten bad here, 500 miles north, in Corrientes too. Our backup generator was stole from the garage, my wife's purse was stolen while she was riding in a cab stuck at a traffic light, our closest friend had his windshield stolen at gunpoint a few nights ago. They cut it out using a box-cutter, ripped out his (broken) stereo, and ran off into the night. We are very concerned about the safety of our children, their welfare is my wife's biggest issue.

One thing to keep in mind: if you're going to the US your husband will need an immigrant visa and/or greencard. The visas are taking 6-10 months these days, the greencards a year or two. Its a complex process, Microsoft hired attornies for us and paid almost all the fees, otherwise I believe it would have cost us 5 to 10 thousand dollars.

kurtdillard said:
One thing to keep in mind: if you're going to the US your husband will need an immigrant visa and/or greencard. The visas are taking 6-10 months these days, the greencards a year or two. Its a complex process, Microsoft hired attornies for us and paid almost all the fees, otherwise I believe it would have cost us 5 to 10 thousand dollars.

5 to 10K to get my husband residing legally in the States? That's hard to believe.

kurtdillard said:
I've discussed the details in another thread, the reasons cited here plus crime and the fact that Microsoft made a fantastic offer convinced us to move. The crime rate is terrible in Buenos Aires, and its gotten bad here, 500 miles north, in Corrientes too. Our backup generator was stole from the garage, my wife's purse was stolen while she was riding in a cab stuck at a traffic light, our closest friend had his windshield stolen at gunpoint a few nights ago. They cut it out using a box-cutter, ripped out his (broken) stereo, and ran off into the night. We are very concerned about the safety of our children, their welfare is my wife's biggest issue.

Kurt,

Absolutely I totally agree with EVERYTHING you mentioned about the crime. I think some people are still in denial just because nothing happened to them YET.

But things are deteriorating and truly have for the past two years. I've had the same kind of things happen to my friends. Cars broken into, stereos stolen (and one of my friends even had his tires stolen off his car parked in the street in a nice part of Palermo not long ago).

I've had other friends that had their windows smashed at a stoplight and had their purses stolen by motorcycle thieves.

No way I was going to stick around in Argentina and raise my kids there. I'm extremely happy I moved out last year and the USA is a great place to raise kids. VERY safe here.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that it's so expensive to get a green card for your spouse. I read a few posts from others that also reported problems. I'm still puzzled at this because my wife and I started the process at the US Embassy in Buenos Aires and it couldn't have been simpler.

Of course, we had all the documentation that you'd need. Bank statements, tax records (I showed all my tax forms for the entire time I lived in Argentina) as well as many other forms/documents and we didn't have any problems at all getting her green card. I did it all myself with no attorneys involved.

I'm confident you will be VERY happy with your decision to move back to the USA, especially if you already have a job lined up.

Back