why are there two #168 buses?

jrockstar80

Registered
i was quite late for an appointment today because i failed to realize that there are actually TWO 168s, with similar, but different routes.

just more of an fyi, i guess: if you're using the various bus route internet sites, and you get two listings for any one bus route, make sure to check both...

Usually there are two busses because one is a 'rapido' and the other is a regular line, meaning the first will blast through sectors (or not visit at all) of the other route. If you're using comoviajo, for example, it will specify which bus you need to take and just make sure you read the sign on the front of the bus before boarding (sometimes there's an indication on the busstop sign, too). When in doubt, ask the driver! :) Hopefully that little snafu didn't cause you any real problems.

Why? Because the bus companies are private companies trying to make money. Although regulated they often serve what could be various bus lines under the name of one company.

Check the buses front window to find out with line it is within the bus companys number. You could end up in entirely different places if you just rely on the number for direction

Most buses have various ramales (branch lines) that follow various routes (recorridos). For example, the 39, which I would imagines most people on this forum are familiar with, runs from Chacarita to Barracas and has 3 different routes.

The #s 1 & 2 both run along Santa Fe from Ravignani to the center, where they head down towards Consitución/Barracas, but these two lines have slightly different routes, with the #2 (Legally "B") heading up Jorge Newbery to Cramer to Ravignani, while the #1 (Legally "A") follows Charlone/Castillo staight to Ravignani and heads north to Santa Fe.

The #3 runs along Gorriti through Palermo before heading north and meeting up with Santa Fe by Alto Palermo.

Probably the most infamous bus for its many, many routes is the 60, with literally a 1000.

Your best bet to avoid this situation is to mention your destination to the bus driver ainstead of just telling him how much you owe. Although you will not be able to lie about how much you owe, you are certain that you are on the right line.

So, in the future, instead of saying "uno de uno veinte" you should say "hasta Santa Fe y Borges". They will let you know if you are one the wrong line.

Actually, there are three #168 buses :) And many other numbers have alternative routes and destinations too. I don't know why they do it but I do know that, if you you plan on hopping from bus to bus all over the city, it pays to have a copy of Guia T in your pocket. The bus listings in the back will give you valuable clues to help you interpret the bus windscreen destination boards: it's essential to read these as well as the headline number.

Back