Why are we losing our hair?

Pollution has a neglible effect on the hair or skin. What you ingest has a huge effect ie drugs, food, etc etc on your age and how you age gracefully.

I do know that argentinians take an incredible amount of prescription drugs and over time this can not be healthy.

I believe that man in his natural state was much healthier living a raw food diet of 90 percent. These foods in their raw state unpasteurised and unprocessed provide the super nutrients that keep the human body and spirit at its peak .

perry said:
Pollution has a neglible effect on the hair or skin. What you ingest has a huge effect ie drugs, food, etc etc on your age and how you age gracefully.

So you're telling me when I take in a mouthful of polluted collectivo air I'm not ingesting it? My lungs seem to think otherwise. And well if I'm breathing it, then that means the pollution is entering my bloodstream via pseudo-oxygenated blood. :)

My hair looks the same as ever (only longer :)) and my skin looks better then ever. As soon I go to Europe it gets greasy again and when I come back it takes more then a week to get back to normal :mad:

My husband lost some hair but I guess that is the age ;), and my kids' hair didn't change.

So I can't agree with this thread...

Jesus these posts are traumatizing!

I haven't noticed anything too out-of-the-normal with hair, skin, and nails, but I've lived in cities my whole life so I'm probably just used to it by now (if only immunity came with that.....alas, I'm a 24-year old in the shell of a fifty-year-old). Of course, the previous two cities were LA and Bangkok so add A LOT of sun exposure. sigh.

Now that you mention it, though, the water is awfully hard here, I'll bet that is a contributing factor, especially for those not used to it. Pollution also never helps. You all know this.
I'm going to add that, besides the actual foods in a diet, I'm betting a lot of the meat and veg here are pumped with hormones (even for all the grass-fed claims) and pesticides, and probably harsher stuff than would be allowed in the US or places with environmental awareness. That's going to be a definite factor.

Another thing may be, rather than the addition of more meat to a diet, the ABSENCE of fish and seafood. Lack of omega-3s and 9s ...well, it's just not good for you. I don't know how the locals get around it, maybe they've just adapted or something. I would add a lot of flax seeds to a diet to get that supplement, they're available pretty much everywhere ('semillas de lino').

By the way, I'm good at this stuff because my mom's a nutritionist/naturopathic doctor. It's a blessing and a curse.

Hop said:
Since I've been in Argentina, my skin problems/eczema have gotten worse and my hair has gotten thinner. Even if I'm in the states for ten days, my skin will clear up. Unfortunately, my hair just keeps getting thinner and thinner. When I was in my teens, people would always exclaim at how thick my hair was. Now it's just "Ah, tenes muy poquito pelo..." :(

I have the same problems with thin hair and I used to have very thick hair as a young adult! Additional factors that have not been mentioned here are hormones for hair and specifically iron/anemia for hair and nails. I was anemic for a while before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008 (which means I can´t eat gluten anymore) but now that I have normal iron levels again my hair has only slightly improved. Another factor could be that I am ALWAYS hot here so I wear my hair up with a clip. Apparently our hair needs to breathe. In the U.S. I lived in San Francisco and every time I went to my parents´house for a week in LA my skin and hair would be perfect. I have a major frizz problem so my hair looks better in places with low humidity but even taking that into account there was a huge difference from SF to LA.

Agree with everyone that omegas might have something to do with it. So far with an improved diet I have not been able to change my hair/nails, though.

I´d love to hear more stories of what people have tried here!!

AlexfromLA said:
Lol,

Bald people need to stop blaming Argentina.

yeh it's called getting older, get over it, or the worry will make your hair fall out:D

Just another person to weigh in that I've lived here nearly 5 years now and have suffered no problems with my skin or hair (aside from those driven by humidity :p ).

tinto said:
I have the same problems with thin hair and I used to have very thick hair as a young adult! Additional factors that have not been mentioned here are hormones for hair and specifically iron/anemia for hair and nails. I was anemic for a while before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008 (which means I can´t eat gluten anymore) but now that I have normal iron levels again my hair has only slightly improved. Another factor could be that I am ALWAYS hot here so I wear my hair up with a clip. Apparently our hair needs to breathe. In the U.S. I lived in San Francisco and every time I went to my parents´house for a week in LA my skin and hair would be perfect. I have a major frizz problem so my hair looks better in places with low humidity but even taking that into account there was a huge difference from SF to LA.

Agree with everyone that omegas might have something to do with it. So far with an improved diet I have not been able to change my hair/nails, though.

I´d love to hear more stories of what people have tried here!!

My sister was recently diagnosed with Celiac's so she's been bugging me to get tested as losing hair is apparently a symptom (although it's a symptom of a lot of things...).

Back