Why Argentina over other countries?

When we first came 20(!) years ago, we felt immediately that Buenos Aires was a world class city, even though the country was in the midst of going through five presidents in two weeks. The other countries don't compare IMHO, sorry. It's vibrant and a vortex...once you fall for Argentina, you really can't ever extricate yourself fully, no matter how much it makes you enraged and disappointed (like right now). Argentina is a survivor. The people are engaged, resilient and loyal. The first people I trusted to take my son into the ocean without me were friends from Bariloche. Once you are part of their family and you are part of theirs, they will do anything for you, and vice versa.

Of course, also the architecture is beautiful and the countryside is spectacular. I never run out of new places to see. The food has run its course with me though. I still remember the extraordinary steaks from back in the day, when you could have a first class meal with wine for 100 pesos. No matter what though, as long as I can get through the border, I'll always come back.

Good advice

I agree. Some people love it, others not so much. The only way is to come find out for yourself. After a month or two, you'll have a pretty good feeling for the city, if you love it...stay...if not, go check out Colombia, Mexico or wherever else.

The more insulated you can make yourself from the problems of the country, the more you'll enjoy it. That basically means earn in dollars and being able to leave when you want. The people who are the lowest on BA are those who are earning in pesos and/or are stuck here because of family related issues.

As for me, I preferred Argentina thirty years ago when it was a lot more Argentina and unaffected by globalism.

My feelings for the country have definitely changed since I first came here. Back then I regularly visited as a holidaymaker which is chalk and cheese from life here as a permanent resident. Although I can't say I love it I do still like it here but find it increasingly annoying to see how it continues to self destruct.

Why Argentina over other countries? Interesting question, and one that I have been debating in my mind lately.

About 15 years ago, when I was planning to eventually retire, I thought where? I knew I did not want to be an inmigrant again. I have lived in the USA for nearly 50 years but I was not raised here. When you emigrate, you become a person with no past. The earlier part of your life kind of gets wiped out. Even though I considered retiring part time in places like Spain, France, I just did not want to be an outsider again. Therefore, Argentina was an easy decision because that's where I was raised.

Over the last three years, I have been spending about 5 months a year in Argentina, but this year, zero. Ezeiza was closed in March, and I did not want to be quarantined for 14 days. Since that time, I read how poverty has gone thru the roof, how the economy is a mess, and how everything that made Buenos Aires exciting, like theaters, movies, restaurants, getting together with others, etc. are closed or partially so. Whereas this might be a temporary situation, I fear that things may just continue to go downhill and it reminds me of why I left in 1975.

Two weeks ago, I took a road trip thru California. Stayed in Big Sur, Carmel, and San Francisco. Wanted to go to Yosemite, etc. but the smoke level is still incredible, so I came home. I had a wonderful time. Early this year, I also spent two weeks in Mexico, which is close to us, and New York too. The thought that pops in my mind is: why not ditch Argentina and do other things or visit places where you are welcome, and things may be more stable?

Why Argentina or somewhere else? I don't have the answer right now, but at my age, 71, I don't have that much time left, and I just waisted a year hoping to get back to Argentina. It was initially a two week quarantine, then it was likely that by September we were going to be welcomed again. Now, it's early October, and?

I will keep thinking and thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.

Whereas this might be a temporary situation, I fear that things may just continue to go downhill and it reminds me of why I left in 1975.

What parallels have you noticed from the time leading up to 1975 and now?

Having the freedom to leave when you want (more or less) IS definitely the key. Ups and downs are the norm.

Very true,

We have to be here as long as the MIL is alive and kicking.

What parallels have you noticed from the time leading up to 1975 and now?
Dougie:
1975 was totally different than now. We had a mini civil war going on, and it was savage, so now and then are completely different. However, the Rodrigazo shattered my dreams. I had been working for four years in Argentina, and that was it. I left; I was fortunate in that I had my American citizenship, spoke English and knew the culture.

The Rodrigazo and what might happen now can share too many similarities. Basically, a huge drop in the standard of living of the population, and increased poverty. I have never been poor, but I am sensitive to the plight of the poor. Yet, I prefer not to see it. Giving away all the little money I have won't solve poverty, and it certainly would make my life more difficult.

Last year I was having a late lunch in the Canitas section of BA, and I got hit three times by people asking for money. One was particularly aggressive. It's a situation I don't enjoy, and certainly ruins the fun of eating out. Selfish? Clearly, but . . . Last week I was in San Francisco eating a bagel and sipping a latte, sitting at a small table on the sidewalk, with my back to the street. A homeless person approached me and asked for money, and I waved him off (clearly, that was not nice: I should have looked at him and say no thanks or similar). His reaction: he told me to fuck off and go to hell. Do you think I enjoyed the rest of my bagel?

Just the other day I was visiting one of my daughters in LA, and there are homeless people standing by the street light that stops you before you enter the freeway. When you stop, they start cleaning your window, where you want to or not. This happens every time, so now I am prepared. I just roll my window down and hand out a $1. Does this solve the problem? NO, does it make it worse? I think so because you encourage that behavior.

In 1975, I would take the train from Retiro to Hurlingham, and you rarely met anyone trying to sell you goodies. Nowadays it's non stop; often there's a queue waiting to rattle off their message. In those days, when I took the subway, you would get greeted by a blind old man selling "ballenitas". Nowadays, it's non stop little kids, musicians, food vendors, etc.

I am afraid there might be an explosion of poverty in ARgentina, and more crime. Therefore, there will be less opportunity to enjoy the little pleasures of life. That's why I want to reevaluate my intentions of spending so many months a year there.

All the praise of Argentina is based on pre-Covid Argentina. It's quite different now and we don't know how it will emerge once Covid has been conquered. As for me, I preferred Argentina thirty years ago when it was a lot more Argentina and unaffected by globalism.
But covid is worldwide. It is not just Argentina that will never be quite the same.

Back