Why Argentina over other countries?

Argentina is not only CABA
To tell you the truth, that is what I thought you meant. (I should have went with it, but I wanted to be sure.)

Of course, a country is much more than the main population center. Actually the beauty of the country is far from the concrete jungle. Get away from the cities and population and the beauty really comes alive. (So does the poverty as well unfortunately.) Get out into the plains, the mountains or the coast ... just wow ... as in beautiful to my eyes.

Argentina is a dream come true for expats on a dollar income... Where else you look at the news and your peso income goes up every day..! from 45 to 160 pesos per dollar..! OMG Don Julio bife de chorizo US$9...!

Some locals resent expats that are laughing all the way to the bank ... ! some locals have mentioned it to me in Friendly way..."you sob must be happy with the dollar situation"( vos hdp estaras celebrando lo del dolar..!)

Argentina is a dream come true for expats on a dollar income... Where else you look at the news and your peso income goes up every day..! from 45 to 160 pesos per dollar..! OMG Don Julio bife de chorizo US$9...!

Some locals resent expats that are laughing all the way to the bank ... ! some locals have mentioned it to me in Friendly way..."you sob must be happy with the dollar situation"( vos hdp estaras celebrando lo del dolar..!)
It is very human to resent another person whose situation is inversely bountiful to yours. As someone does poorly, the other profits.

To that end, it is best to be low key and not draw attention to yourself such that people's feelings get hurt. Quietly enjoying is best.

It is very human to resent another person whose situation is inversely bountiful to yours. As someone does poorly, the other profits.

To that end, it is best to be low key and not draw attention to yourself such that people's feelings get hurt. Quietly enjoying is best.

Have to agree.
Must admit it does get on my goat when you hear expats saying it's a wonderful country to live in when those doing the preaching are earning in dollars. We have a very comfortable life despite only earning in pesos but it ain't half f'ing stressful!!

It's now a running joke with my girlfriend that every day in Argentina is another day I don't have to work due to Western Union.

Have to agree.
Must admit it does get on my goat when you hear expats saying it's a wonderful country to live in when those doing the preaching are earning in dollars. We have a very comfortable life despite only earning in pesos but it ain't half f'ing stressful!!

Its one thing to promote Argentina as a great place to live but it has to be made clear to potential expats that its only great if you are in a certain bubble of affluence and then you are not really living in the real Argentina as experienced by most Argentines. Argentina has its attractions but is a very challenging place -to live- fulltime. The modestly wealthy expat ie owns a property that isnt shared with 6 other family members and can come and go from Argentina when they like is in the one percent in Argentina.

I wonder if all we are trying to do is justify and reinforce a decision we have made?. Is it possible that we decided to live in Argentina , for whatever decision, and then we continuously try to justify our decision? Who likes to admit a mistake? Or, we may want to find reasons just to make ourselves feel better about our decision.

For the last two days I have been in a small beach town in Mexico. No teatro Colón, no this and no that, but people are wonderful, there’s a Costco, Walmart, Mariachis everywhere and you can eat four delicious tacos and two soft drinks for 7 dollars. Coffee? Some lovely shops, and we are only 4 hours away from San Diego. If I where to live here as an expat, and there are many, I am sure I could come up with a long list of reasons why this place is better than anywhere else. In fact, I had lunch yesterday with an American that retired here five years ago and loves it. Lots and lots of reasons he gave me.

with a good attitude, you can justify most things. Maybe, those of us that think that bsas is so good, is it possible that we are just lying to ourselves to cover up a poor decision with great reasons why bsas is a great place?

we humans can be very deceitful. Or is the word duplicious?

TO be fair prices aren't staying the same... Businesses are doing their best to increase prices in line with the blue dollar rate. Houses included

I wonder if all we are trying to do is justify and reinforce a decision we have made?. Is it possible that we decided to live in Argentina , for whatever decision, and then we continuously try to justify our decision? Who likes to admit a mistake? Or, we may want to find reasons just to make ourselves feel better about our decision.

For the last two days I have been in a small beach town in Mexico. No teatro Colón, no this and no that, but people are wonderful, there’s a Costco, Walmart, Mariachis everywhere and you can eat four delicious tacos and two soft drinks for 7 dollars. Coffee? Some lovely shops, and we are only 4 hours away from San Diego. If I where to live here as an expat, and there are many, I am sure I could come up with a long list of reasons why this place is better than anywhere else. In fact, I had lunch yesterday with an American that retired here five years ago and loves it. Lots and lots of reasons he gave me.

with a good attitude, you can justify most things. Maybe, those of us that think that bsas is so good, is it possible that we are just lying to ourselves to cover up a poor decision with great reasons why bsas is a great place?

I'm in Mexico City now, waiting to return to CABA. In CDMX, I'm living in Polanco, the "Beverly Hills" of Mexico. Much like my Palermo Chico/Botanico neighborhood in CABA.

Despite the upscale location (and malls with every USA brand!), I've never felt less safe in a major city. And I've lived in bunch of them, including Cairo and Beirut and Phnom Penh (before the Chinese sanitized it).

Every home and apartment/condo in Polanco is wrapped in razor wire and electric fencing. Guards toting automatic weapons stand watch at many stores.

On the plus side, there's a Starbucks on every corner! No local coffee shops, just Starbucks. Just like the USA. Plenty of fresh corn tortillas too, for what that's worth.

And I'm wary of the health care here. And the general level of hygiene, given the surplus of street beggars and their urchins.

No. I made the right choice in Buenos Aires. Can't wait to return.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_152802~3.jpg
    IMG_20200926_152802~3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200928_124701~4.jpg
    IMG_20200928_124701~4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 12

Can you share the name of this gem of a city ?

Back