Why Argentina over other countries?

Re SF and the West Coast: best to remain in nostalgia land. I've just spent time in LA, SF and Seattle (I lived and worked in LA and Seattle from 1990-2010). This is the reality on the streets today. It's omnipresent.

Redpossum, after experiencing the Bay Area, everything else is a dump.

matter of personal taste and preferences.

I lived in Seattle suburbs for 7 years. Now 1.5 years in the Bay Area.
Time hasn't changed my first impressions -- I like Pacific Northwest much more
and I'm going to return back to Washington state (with zero state income tax) as soon as possible.

The only thing holding me in the Bay Area is job.

matter of personal taste and preferences.

I lived in Seattle suburbs for 7 years. Now 1.5 years in the Bay Area.
Time hasn't changed my first impressions -- I like Pacific Northwest much more
and I'm going to return back to Washington state (with zero state income tax) as soon as possible.

The only thing holding me in the Bay Area is job.
Sales tax and Property tax in WA state

Redpossum, after experiencing the Bay Area, everything else is a dump.

Actually, I'm from San Diego, but your conclusion is entirely understandable. They both have a bay and a Presidio, and both grew up around missions founded by Fray Junipero Serra, so I'd not be surprised if SF has a statue of him as well. And SD is something of a backwater, compared to SF :)

Sales tax and Property tax in WA state
Washington State Sales tax ranks at 28 out of the fifty states, and Property tax at 26- meaning, in both categories, its pretty much exactly average, not high, and not low. Plenty of places where property tax is much higher, like most of the Northeast, and, oddly enough, property taxes in Texas are almost double of Wa. I dont buy a lot of stuff, and I barter a fair amount for food (I fix things for farmers) so Sales tax is a really minimal expense to me, and not a big deciding factor.

But, if you look at Cost of Living, Seattle is, indeed, in the top ten. But that top ten still includes close to 75 million people- close to double the entire population of Argentina. So for about 1/5 of the entire US population, using Seattle prices as a guide is about right. Its not some crazy tiny exception- its what it costs to live in a big city in the USA.

But it has an awesome natural setting. Beautiful scenery, pristine woods, lovely islands, and Mount Rainier in the background more than make up for the lack of history and the sparse cultural life.

But to each his own.

I've been there three times. I thought it one of the most boring cities I'd ever visited. I guess it depends on your interests. For me it lacks history, culture, interesting architecture. There are many other cities with pretty scenery

I actually moved out of Seattle in 1984. I am not saying its some kind of Utopia- I was strictly using it as an example of an average priced US city in the top 1/2 of US cities, and comparing costs in such a city to Buenos Aires.
As I mentioned, about 75 million US citizens live in cities where the cost of living is about the same as Seattle.
And that cost is well above Argentina.

This was my point, and it remains true.

Certainly, there are cheaper places than Seattle in the USA, just as there are cheaper places than BA in Argentina. But most people, in either country, dont live in those cheaper places.

Back