Why I Gave Up My American Passport (Fatca)

Richard P I've also heard that isn't true. But as crazy as things are getting in the world any more, who knows? Commodorius, I'm sure I'll include more about it in Four Flags Journal once I see him. Any more no one wants to tell me much of anything by email. It is interesting though that several countries have an agreement to give citizenship to anyone in their country who is stateless. So theoretically it could be a fast track to another citizenship. I don't know of anyone who has done it though--but until now I never knew anyone who was stateless. .

Ask Edward Snowden.

That is why I haven't sold my farm. 40 acres in the middle of nowhere, 15 dogs, water and food for 90 days, semi-automatic firearms and 1000's of rounds of ammo. Don't ignore the NO TRESPASSING sign. :)

So you haven't sold your farm because a German journalist was denied entry into the US? Perhaps you could explain in greater detail.

Richard P I've also heard that isn't true. But as crazy as things are getting in the world any more, who knows? Commodorius, I'm sure I'll include more about it in Four Flags Journal once I see him. Any more no one wants to tell me much of anything by email. It is interesting though that several countries have an agreement to give citizenship to anyone in their country who is stateless. So theoretically it could be a fast track to another citizenship. I don't know of anyone who has done it though--but until now I never knew anyone who was stateless. .

I don't think it is possible. I have a friend who works for the State Department in France. A few years ago I asked him about dual citizenship and if I could lose my US citizenship by becoming an Argentine citizen. He said it's VERY difficult to get rid of US citizenship because they want to continue holding you liable for your tax obligations. Even if you renounce your citizenship, you have to have citizenship in another country (they State Dept won't/can't leave you stateless) and it has to be accepted by the State Dept.

I don't think it is possible. I have a friend who works for the State Department in France. A few years ago I asked him about dual citizenship and if I could lose my US citizenship by becoming an Argentine citizen. He said it's VERY difficult to get rid of US citizenship because they want to continue holding you liable for your tax obligations. Even if you renounce your citizenship, you have to have citizenship in another country (they State Dept won't/can't leave you stateless) and it has to be accepted by the State Dept.

Not quite true. Here's the article in BBC that talks about Americans giving up their citizenship. Good read.

Not quite true. Here's the article in BBC that talks about Americans giving up their citizenship. Good read.

I've read this article, and other than listing a number of increases in renunciations it offers no specific details - just a lot of anecdotes about people who are thinking about it because of the draconian tax laws.

There is a lot of rumor and hearsay about the process. Have any of you BAexpats gone the distance?

I've read this article, and other than listing a number of increases in renunciations it offers no specific details - just a lot of anecdotes about people who are thinking about it because of the draconian tax laws.

Well, it's not SUPPOSED to be a scientific treatise. That would make for boring reading anyhow.

For boring, dry, facts-and-figures, here's what the Department of State says about it.

There is a lot of rumor and hearsay about the process. Have any of you BAexpats gone the distance?
People that think the US tax laws are draconian need to do some serious business in other countries.

Back