Why I Gave Up My American Passport (Fatca)

I know Bradford (not Brad ford) very well.
I have family that were born and raised in Huddersfield. It's an area of the world I know very well.
I do however stand by my previous comment.
Bradford is a dump and always will be.
The curries are good though.

Bradford is the Detroit of the UK?

Whenever I get down about BA, I just tell myself "at least it isn't Detroit or Cleveland.". ;)

I'd never give up my US citizenship unless things get really crazy.

SLeslie23, I know we have heard that. My son is pretty much an expert on matters like that and he had long told me that. He said my friend was kidding me and told me what you wrote. So my friend sent me a copy of the U.S. law on the subject (I am learning don't believe hearsay, look up the law) and also a copy of the paper they had him sign that they had read this to him (explaining he would be stateless). There's no doubt. We just hear a lot of things that are not true. I sent the law to my kid and silence reigned for a while and then I heard "HOLY COW! YOU CAN!"

As for giving up U.S. citizenship, I have covered this pretty extensively in the Four Flags Journal. I won't try to do it here except if you have money they will keep a big percentage, even though you've paid all taxes on it and a few other things. The window to do it is closing gradually. If this predicts the trend, the day may come when they just plain won't let you go. Also you can't just renounce, you have to fill out an application for approval.

IABhutto Sorry but I just can't resist.

If I don't like Obama, would you call ME a racist as well? Because I don't. And of course there COULD be a racist issue there, couldn't there? One doesn't know, does one? Or does one?! Just wondering how far that goes. .

Bajo, thanks for that article. You sure are a wealth of information.

Incidentally, one might file this with that stuff that we hear and don't know if it's true, but I have heard that Gypsies here in Latin America have their babies at home and don't register them so that they can never be deported because no one can prove where they were born. They were begging very aggressively in some parks in northern Chile a few years back and that's what we were told.

Well, the best way to avoid deportation is having babies. So, I guess it is just a myth.

But wouldn't the baby have to be registered in the country to avoid deportation? Like could one of my kids come here across a border (illegally) with a couple little ones and not be deported because they have kids? And if they register them here, then could they go into, say, Bolivia and never be deported as long as they wanted to stay if they took a couple of kids along? Once they register in a country, then they are no longer free roaming, isn't that right? But of course maybe they are not trying to be that free. We were told by Chileans that they do that. I've never seen Gypsies that I know of here--or if so they acted like normal people. In Chile they dress differently with long, full skirts and . . . well . . . just different.

I know Bradford (not Brad ford) very well.
I have family that were born and raised in Huddersfield. It's an area of the world I know very well.
I do however stand by my previous comment.
Bradford is a dump and always will be.
The curries are good though.
OK then, you don't dislike the Indians, the Paki, and Bagolores and truelly love their currys, depite you really dislike the town of Bradford ? So then I see no problem here. Am I missing something...?

Well, the best way to avoid deportation is having babies. So, I guess it is just a myth.

No true in the States, though. A baby born there has citizenship and the right to stay, but the parents do not if they entered without papers or overstayed their visa.

Back