Why is everybody complaining?

middlepath. i accept your concept. a really noble idea. first clue is your reference to being american. bad idea in argentina. they are americans too. the continent is america. north, central, and south. good topic wrong site. my 2 cents

middlepath. i accept your concept. a really noble idea. first clue is your reference to being american. bad idea in argentina. they are americans too. the continent is america. north, central, and south. good topic wrong site. my 2 cents

That's fair. But can you use proper grammar before you criticize my geography?

The real reason is because people who actually have a life are to busy to lurk on the internet. People who are starting businesses, employing others, exporting, getting mentioned in the NYT and attracting tourist dollars, creating amazing works of art, design, and fashion, film and music and poetry, dance and theater- they are all in BA, and many are "expats", from "first world " countries, but also from third world ones, and all are actually working, not sitting in front of a screen. This forum has some great folks, and some grumpy old guys who are here because of love, and are still here because of international immigration laws, and have a lot of time to complain. I know a guy from a "shithole country", to quote a certain president, who showed up here with a $1000 USD and a backpack, and now employs a hundred or so people. Obviously , he is far to busy to complain.

That said, there have been some really interesting and creative people who have passed thru this site in the eleven years I have been here.

Well, if one is in the country as a resident, not a mere tourist, then one has each and every moral right to complain and suggest changes.

According to this guy if you migrate to a country you aren't entitled to dislike things about it (Government specifically)... We don't need dictator mentality here. The guy clearly is not in touch with Argentines either - they are some of the biggest complainers going around (I don't blame them either tbh).

The real reason is because people who actually have a life are to busy to lurk on the internet. People who are starting businesses, employing others, exporting, getting mentioned in the NYT and attracting tourist dollars, creating amazing works of art, design, and fashion, film and music and poetry, dance and theater- they are all in BA, and many are "expats", from "first world " countries, but also from third world ones, and all are actually working, not sitting in front of a screen.

Interesting that in your list of people who "actually have a life" you did not mention having a wife/husband, kids, a job. If your criteria above is what it takes to have a life, I would suggest the majority of the world does not have one. I am a writer, my literal job fits into your narrow window of having a life. But here I am, "lurking" on a forum it seems. I am glad you decided to join all the lurkers here who don't have a life by posting more than most of us.

I think the experiences of recent immigrants (and I don't draw the line between "expats" who are permanently here and other immigrant groups) often promotes criticism within their peer group. Many Italians came to Argentina to make their fortune and return to buy a vineyard back in Italy or live like a king in Genoa or Naples. Brilliant artists such as Gardel and Piazzolla drew and gave back the genius of the country. But I am sure first generation immigrants to USA or Americas or Europe had their gripes. It would be great to hear why people came and why they stay, as well as what irritates them.

I often read BAExpats and I love the community so I decided to sign up. But I see posts with lots of complaints like this and wonder why you don't just go back to your country? Please don't use the USA as an example, because we have massive amounts of corruption. It's just not as public and we're too dumb to ask questions.

It's really depressing to see who I assume are Americans, Australians, Western Europeans, and Citizens of the United Kingdom complaining about daily life in a country in which they chose to live. It's embarrassing and I feel ashamed to identify myself as an American. You realize that the IMF exploits Latin American, right? They're not a charity. You can blame American capitalism for a lot of the instability in Latin American, including Bolivia right now (climate change and lithium) and, in my opinion, Argentina.

Every good thing has a dark side and every bad thing contains the seeds of good. Sure, there is corruption. But that also means it's a bit easier to start a small business because if you get three no's, you'll also get two yesses. People don't lose their job for breaking rules here. If you've never benefitted from that your entire life, please feel free to make specific, quantified complaints so that I can still point out why your country is basically the same and people suck everywhere.

I'm not saying the corruption isn't horrible. What I am saying is you are heavily skewed to one side of the equation, blinded by your money, and unable to think in a mature way about a very complex, very nuanced issue that requires a more nimble mindset. I mean this respectfully. Please become more open-minded.
Get back to us when your building goes without electricity for five consecutive days. Or when your landlord makes off with your deposit.

Back