Wi-Fi Solution For Shared Internet

semigoodlookin

Registered
I have recently moved into a temporary apartment for six months until my house is ready. There is a problem with the internet because it is a shared internet connection or the whole building (8 apartments). The internet is simply not good enough for our needs. I work online as does my wife, not to mention just regular things like Netflix, YouTube or whatever. While we are waiting to hear back from the owner to find out if we can add our own internet, I am pre-empting her saying no, so I want to know are there any solutions available to me?

Maybe a mobile Wi-Fi router where I put a 4G chip in and get Wi-Fi from that? Do they exist here and if so, is the connection generally good enough for multiple devices/connections households?

We had a discussion on this topic a while back: https://baexpats.org/threads/4g-wifi-router-modem.42881/, cafeamericano was going to report on the module he bought.

Your setup is a bit strange, though, quite possibly in violation of the TOS of the service provider. How does cable TV work then? A professional setup would have an individual internet connection and WiFi SSID per apartment and a shared SSID for common areas.

If I was in your situation and need urgently WI.FI would call Telecentro or Fibertel and ask for installation? plus service quote for you needs. Then ask the landlord if she would share the costs..! Then AMORTIZE the cost over 6 months..!

If I was in your situation and need urgently WI.FI would call Telecentro or Fibertel and ask for installation? plus service quote for you needs. Then ask the landlord if she would share the costs..! Then AMORTIZE the cost over 6 months..!
To be fair to Semi,

It was stated in Semi's post that there is a current inquiry into the landlord to see if it is allowed / can be done. It appears Semi is fully prepared to pay, it's just a case of not knowing if the action would be allowed.

Why would you ask the landlord to share the cost of something you did for yourself?

Because.... ! when Semi leaves the Apt. will be upgraded with better Wi.Fi service and worth more forever.. ...! IMHO
Get the installation, pay the invoice / bill, use the service, make your money, be entertained in your down time and move on.

If leaving the installation when one moves on is a such a big sticking point, simply act like the Germans did when they retreated. Tear out the infrastructure and destroy it. Mind you, that is not me, I am not wired that way. But I know others have a problem with leaving things better than when they arrived. So it is an option for certain kinds of people.

Thanks for the input.

To clarify, yes I am willing to pay and basically have my own internet connection in this apartment. The shared internet in the building is corporate with Fibercorp, I don't know the details other than the lady owns the whole building and all the apartments. It's not good enough for me so I want to pay to have an extra personal internet connection (my own) seperately. I, of course, would be paying for this myself because it is my service.

I am not sure if she will be willing to do it because I don't know if setting up that service would require any work such as drilling, holes in walls etc. If it would not then I think she may allow it, or I may be tempted just to go ahead and get it anyway. I mean, there is nowhere in the contract that says I cannot get additional internet.

I also think she in no way would share the costs. If she wanted better internet she would alreaday have it, I guess.

Get the installation, pay the invoice / bill, use the service, make your money, be entertained in your down time and move on.
Particularly for six months. Worth the investment, I’d think. A portable wifi hot is another option. I used this successfully in Madrid for several months, for work and streaming. Don’t know if this is an option in CABA.

Back