Wi-Fi Solution For Shared Internet

Think of ping as a echo. The smaller the number is the fastest, closest reponse. That is the real speed.

If your ping is high you can't play. The delay between data traveling back and forth is too long and others can run circles around you without you even noticing.
Think of it as watching a whole movie but you only get four stills. The title, a landscape, a face and end credits.

What they sell as speed is bandwith. Is how many lanes to your road and traffic. Litle bandwith and your traffic has a single lane. A queue.
Multiple lanes and traffic is more comfortable but the distances (ping) remain the same.
Have same ping with home fibertel than with office corporate optic fiber by Movistar. Bandwith is much bigger but once you go browsing abroad, all comms join the main internet pipe.

Usually, upstream is 1/8 of your advertised (speed) download.

Iz

Think of ping as a echo. The smaller the number is the fastest, closest reponse. That is the real speed.

If your ping is high you can't play. The delay between data traveling back and forth is too long and others can run circles around you without you even noticing.
Think of it as watching a whole movie but you only get four stills. The title, a landscape, a face and end credits.

What they sell as speed is bandwith. Is how many lanes to your road and traffic. Litle bandwith and your traffic has a single lane. A queue.
Multiple lanes and traffic is more comfortable but the distances (ping) remain the same.
Have same ping with home fibertel than with office corporate optic fiber by Movistar. Bandwith is much bigger but once you go browsing abroad, all comms join the main internet pipe.

Iz
Iz,

You did a great job of explaining that for those who are not tech savvy

Iz

Worth mentioning that the Download speed of 300 Mbps Offered is for a Device connected to the Box..? The Speed at a device connected via WiFi in another room can be a small fraction of that speed ..?

I only found out this during the Quarantine..!

Always do your tests wired. A single device plugged straight and alone.

Just wanted to provide a general idea easy to picture in your mind.

No tests is absolute, there are always a large number of variables involved.

Iz

The landlady permitted me to get Internet so I have. Thanks for the responses and for Iz for making the thread more useful.
Semi,

I am very happy for you.

You seem like a nice person from all of your posts. It's always nice to see a good person do well in what they pursue.

Now you can get your work done and enjoy your connection for other things without the hassle of a slower connection.

Good luck and enjoy!

Please, tell us what you'll get and how it measures with Speednet once it's up and running.

Thanks,

Iz

Speaking of Wifi,

My advise for wireless home users is to download a free version of InSSIDer, or similar software.

The program sniffes the area for wifi signals and tells you what CHANNELS are the busiest.
Then you can try and move your own signal so it doesn't overlap too many of your neighbors.

Same as with everything else, if the X channel has too many routers/signals and devices on it, your own traffic suffers and you better find a less busy channel.
Router manufacturers start with the same default values/channels so there you are, stuck with the rest.

InSSIDer is graphic and very easy to understand.

Most mature users are familiar with finding a better channel for a wireless phone connected to a landline or a walkie talkie, but never think of this when using an internet router. Basically, is the same thing but with InSSIDer you have a usefull graphic assistant.

The Channel settings is normally on the Wireless Tab of your personal router. Change, SAVE and Reboot.
You don't have to mess with any of your devices, just the Router.

There are hundreds of variables to improve your internet service.
This is a basic and simple one you can deal with yourself without any particular training. You only need to understand why (traffic) and how (sniffer and Router settings).

Iz

Update: Fibertel came today, we opted for the 1000 megas option with Flow Now.

Anyway, we are not getting it. The engineer came today and said the cable that we have running into our apartment is illegal and so it seems every cable TV running throught the building. He says he cannot cut that cable because everyone in the building will lose TV. Imagine that, he wants to maintain the illegal cable which means we cannot have it. The guy couldn't wait to get out, saying if he reports this there will be too much work for him.

It makes perfect sense all the cable TV is illegal because the building owner uses FiberCorp, which does not offer TV in its packages. Rather than report these to the company he works for, he would rather not. I am arguing with the better half whether we should report them, I say fuck them and do it, she says it could cause us problems because we in a temporary place. If so, it means no internet (quality internet) for us for six months because any engineer or other provider that comes will say the same.

What I don't understand is why he cannot just split the cable coming into our apartment, let the others keep their dodgy TV and give us the other cable for the internet. Perhaps my lack of knowledge on this subject is evident with that thought. We purposely opted for Flow Now so we did not need to have TV cables extending to the rooms, we could just use the apps on our TVs. So, he only needs a cable going into the router, no?

Ah, yes, welcome to Argentina!

Please do not misunderstand. I am not unsympathetic, and I am not mocking your plight. I am just shaking my head in sad recognition that this sort of thing is all too typical here.

If I had found myself in this situation, I would have asked the engineer that magical question, "como lo arreglamos?", to see if perhaps the application of money might have changed his refusal to help you.

Back