Wierd Buenos Aires

Probably the most insane thing I ever did is go play in a basketball tournament right outside the villa in Bajo Flores. I did go with lots of people who live there and are familiar with the place, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been (but I really stuck out like a sore thumb and got lots of stares). It was really an interesting experience that shattered some of my pre-conceptions (created by my porteno middle class friends) about people that live in villas. I had a great time, and would do it again.

What might be weird is taking them to a football match, but not the touristy thing, take them to the popular (where you have to be on foot, jumping and singing), and feel the vibe from inside. Take them to the Monumental stadium, probably the most safe, and in a popular match, with people, not the clasico, but some important match. Remember, not go to platea, go to popular!

To go to the monumental you need to go with a tour company or take a chance with a tout outside the ground. I would say take them to one of other teams other than River-Boca. Less expensive ! Anyway, i don't know that a day at Monumental or La Bombonera would be weird ! Unless they don't like football....

Also, sadly, the standard of football on display at the Momumental is rotten this year. They'd be asleep in half an hour.

I was researching tour companies in the city recently, I think there actually is an Alternative Business Aires tour, might take you off the beaten track a bit.

To go to the monumental you need to go with a tour company or take a chance with a tout outside the ground. I would say take them to one of other teams other than River-Boca. Less expensive ! Anyway, i don't know that a day at Monumental or La Bombonera would be weird ! Unless they don't like football....

Also, sadly, the standard of football on display at the Momumental is rotten this year. They'd be asleep in half an hour.

I was researching tour companies in the city recently, I think there actually is an Alternative Business Aires tour, might take you off the beaten track a bit.

No, I meant go like a not tourist people, go and buy tickets as everyone, without a tour company.
And I thought it could be weird since every yanqui that goes find it extremely wierd those thousand of people jumping and chanting all together. Lots of people find that something atractive.

No, I meant go like a not tourist people, go and buy tickets as everyone, without a tour company.
And I thought it could be weird since every yanqui that goes find it extremely wierd those thousand of people jumping and chanting all together. Lots of people find that something atractive.

Every yanqui what? What are you on about? People find it weird that the fans jump up and down? I doubt it. Some of the things you say make you sound very insular.

Also, you can't just go and buy tickets like everyone else. Your options are barra brava managed ticket touts outside or via a tour.

How about the ultimate Buenos Aires souvenir - in the literal sense of the italicized word? http://tinyurl.com/kyezd7f

Well, this wouldn't exactly be weird, but maybe a tour of the ex centro clandestino El Olimpo in Floresta? You'd have to translate for your guests, but it was a really important experience for me in terms of "getting" the history of Argentina. It's a straight shot in the 126 from Humberto Primo and...Salta, I believe? They'll definitely see parts of Buenos Aires they have never seen before on the way, and maybe they'd enjoy seeing a typical middle class neighborhood like Floresta. I really liked it. Then once you get to the campo, you'll see lovely murals and memory books with stories about the desaparecidos, as well as just seeing the different rooms where the horrors took place. They don't want to turn it into a museum-y museum, so much of it looks like the old bus station that it was. You're not going to leave in a jolly mood, but I think it's important, and very interesting.

There's also a small memorial below an overpass on Colon by Parque Lezama. When building the autopista they uncovered underground cells with a torture chamber. They've preserved a little bit of it, with a plan and photos of the people believed to have "disappeared" there.

Only online reference that I could google:
[background=rgb(231, 233, 235)]Bajo el terraplén de la Autopista, se hallan los restos de los sótanos del edificio de Servicio de Aprovisionamiento y Talleres de División Administrativa de la Policía Federal Argentina donde funcionaba, durante año 1977 este centro represivo por el que pasaron cerca de 1500 compañeros/as, la mayoría de los cuales continúan desaparecidos.[/background]

Map location

92022134.jpg

There's also a small memorial below an overpass on Colon by Parque Lezama. When building the autopista they uncovered underground cells with a torture chamber. They've preserved a little bit of it, with a plan and photos of the people believed to have "disappeared" there.

Only online reference that I could google:

That is the so-called "Club Atlético," where they show the excavations by forensic anthropologists. You could also visit the ESMA in Núñez (possibly the most infamous of the bunch, http://www.espaciomemoria.ar).

Sigh... you just made me feel like such an old boring mum of a toddler. I used to know that stuff... now? well, I can recommend some decent series/movies for dloading! jajaja

dont feel bad- I am sure I am close to twice your age. You just have to wait til the kids move out...
then you can live again.

Every yanqui what? What are you on about? People find it weird that the fans jump up and down?

Yes, I ve known several people that commented exactly that

Some of the things you say make you sound very insular.

Dont jugde me. Because of this forum is mainly (99%) anti K and the fact that I like lots of the K policies (although Im not K) and it is underrepresented does not give (you) permisson to jugde me. Be respectful as I am.

Also, you can't just go and buy tickets like everyone else.

Wrong. You can go and buy tickets in the stadium or at the AFA building.

Back