Wierd Buenos Aires

There's nothing in US sports that can remotely match the soccer psychopaths of Buenos Aires (our own psychopaths just gun down random citizens).

And people wonder why every thread can turn into a political debate at any time. I'm not going to get into it.

A few months ago I was taken by a friend to Racing's season closer. It was SCARY. The stadium was shaking. People were dressed in KKK style and they did nothing but jump and sing in joy because of their rival's demise. It was surreal. I felt like I was going to die because the stadium was PACKED and people kept coming in.

About sports in the US though, it might normally be perfectly safe. But a few stories come to mind. There was a kid in Chicago that mistakenly caught a ball that he wasn't supposed to and ended up costing the White Sox a very painful defeat that year in which they could have ended their curse. The kid's father was in mortal danger, he needed police protection and the family ended up having to move to Florida. About three years ago Leonidas McKelvin muffed a punt in a season opener vs the Patriots. The Bills ended up losing the game after being 10 points ahead 3 minutes from the end. All his front lawn and car were vandalized.

My point is that sports bring up the most primal instincts. If you add the fact that crowd behavior can make someone completely lose their mind I simply tend to avoid crowd situations in stadiums or other places where there's the smallest risk of something going wrong. I honestly think that the only thing keeping things more or less civilized in US stadiums is the very heavy surveillance and the CERTAINTY that if you get out of line you will be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

There's nothing in US sports that can remotely match the soccer psychopaths of Buenos Aires (our own psychopaths just gun down random citizens).

Yes and your lovely country has very low crime rate and people smile and greet you with flowers when they pass you on the street . Yes the USA is nirvana on earth

I would have recommended the following if they had not already been mentioned... entonces, i second:
Feria de Mataderos
Museo Fernandez Blanco
Museo Xul Solar
Tour of Palacio Barolo - the view from the lighthouse alone makes it worth it!!

And since they haven't been mentioned yet:
-El Ataneo Bookstore
-For live music, Saturday night in Almagro at El Boliche de Roberto (authentic tango singer performs LATE on Saturday nights)
-Calle Lanin in Barrancas (and the Tunnels museum)
-Around San Isidro, beautiful houses / Barrancas area (of San Isidro)/ drive/walk/bike along the river in Zona Norte
-Graffitimundo tour if they appreciate
-Streets around Carlos Gardel Museum in Abasto like Zalaya Passage - a little sketch, but cool murals and fileteado painted houses + architecture of Abasto Mall!

Not any of this is that "weird", just a bit further off the beaten path and stuff that I really enjoyed but didn't get around to seeing until I had lived here more than a year (I've done all the mainstream stuff too but I'll save my favorites for another thread)

The museum in the Water Palace you could say was "weird", but I didn't really like it.

El Boliche de Roberto closed down :( at least for now, it has been so for a few months now.

Yes, Tierra Santa. We went on Good Friday when they have a live crucifixion of Jesus - it was a hoot. Also -
Museo Botica del Ángel
The medical museums (farmacy, pathology, surgery etc) in the UBA.
Museo Forense de la Morgue Judicial
Take a tour of Parque de la Ciudad - have a talk to the guards and they'll let you in (who doesn't like abandoned amusement parks?)
The Sunday market that sprawls over Barrio Rivadavia and 1-11-14 in Bajo Flores.
Bar el Chino
Eat some of the local fauna at places like El Baqueano or Les Anciens Combattants...

As always ... another chance to write something negative about Argentina.
Are you crazy or just out to lunch. I didn't start this thread and further....find something inacurate in those 3 lines. There is a plenora of interesting thing to do here. Going to Boca stadium is not one of them.

Back