Wine Drinkers Unite

I'm not a huge wine drinker, but do like one now and then with an asado. Some good advice to all of you is to be careful about buying wines in the Chinese supermarkets. From what I understand, they are often counterfeit wines. My father-in-law drinks wine every day, but he buys this cheapo wine at the chinese supermarket. It gives you a headache after you drink it later on, on top of being very low quality. However, after traveling down south, my father-in-law bought the same brand, same wine, in a store that where we were vacationing. Let me say that the wine with the same brand, same everything, was night and day different. The color, texture, smell, and quality was ten times better, even though it was the exact same wine. Since then I have been very careful about purchasing wine in chinese supermarkets. Obviously, they are not all counterfeit/fake, but it's obvious to me that some of them are. If you see a ridiculously low price for a wine you like that is expensive in other places in a chino, think twice.

Hard to believe...!! counterfeit labels, bottles, and wine , bottled by a bootlegger ... Never been detected...?? the distributor is not aware of the brands the Chino store carries, when he checks the aisles every week to see his products location? The sales people from a vineyard don't check the products being offered ? If the Chino is not buying from them?

?

Reactions: Joe
Hard to believe...!! counterfeit labels, bottles, and wine , bottled by a bootlegger ... Never been detected...?? the distributor is not aware of the brands the Chino store carries, when he checks the aisles every week to see his products location? The sales people from a vineyard don't check the products being offered ? If the Chino is not buying from them?

?

When I came here years ago, I thought like an American. I would have said, when my Father-in-law told me this, no, that's absurd! There's no way that could happen! I think differently now. A lot of things in Argentina are a plot/conspiracy/scheme to make extra money, rob you, or get something out of you. There is a reason the locals are paranoid here--because they have been cheated multiple times. I swear the wine was insanely different. Same label, same bottle. It has happened a couple of other times, too.

when wine is not stored properly it spoils, bad vinegar!
Nancy

When I came here years ago, I thought like an American. I would have said, when my Father-in-law told me this, no, that's absurd! There's no way that could happen! I think differently now. A lot of things in Argentina are a plot/conspiracy/scheme to make extra money, rob you, or get something out of you. There is a reason the locals are paranoid here--because they have been cheated multiple times. I swear the wine was insanely different. Same label, same bottle. It has happened a couple of other times, too.

There is always the odd bottle that can be spoiled, but I will continue to buy from el Chino...!! or change Chino ? there are six Chinos within 2 blocks, may all Chinos have knock-offs of my favorite wine the day I buy, even if I change labels.... :D

Probability that out of six Chinos with 200 labels each, the bottle I pick that day is a fake???? Interesting problem for probability analysis :cool:

I second what Nancy said ,probably wrong storage. I bought Circus wine from 2 different chinos,same variety and vintage and the difference was remarkable.One was mellow the other acidic as vinegar. On the second the cork came out easily ...
Also don´t forget that your wine experience will depend on temperature ,what you are eating with it and what you have eaten just before .

?

Counterfeit wines do exist but I highly doubt someone is going to the trouble for an under 10 dollar bottle.

Counterfeit wines do exist but I highly doubt someone is going to the trouble for an under 10 dollar bottle.

Really? One time my father-in-law saw a Chinese Supermarket with Bolivian employees. The Chinese owners made their Bolivian employees use diapers so they would not have to get up and go to the bathroom. People in Argentina will go to great lengths to cheat someone for very small profits. Or one time my father-in-law told me a story about stopping on a bus trip at a station and buying a sandwich. The sandwich had lettuce and ham on the exterior part where you can see, but when my Father-in-law bit into it, it didn't actually have anything in the middle of the sandwich. Although of course what Nancy above suggested is possible.

Really? One time my father-in-law saw a Chinese Supermarket with Bolivian employees. The Chinese owners made their Bolivian employees use diapers so they would not have to get up and go to the bathroom. People in Argentina will go to great lengths to cheat someone for very small profits. Or one time my father-in-law told me a story about stopping on a bus trip at a station and buying a sandwich. The sandwich had lettuce and ham on the exterior part where you can see, but when my Father-in-law bit into it, it didn't actually have anything in the middle of the sandwich. Although of course what Nancy above suggested is possible.

I just mean that the cost of bottling and labeling and corking is relatively high and for a cheap wine it only makes since if you're producing >20000 bottles. That is why I find it unlikely.

Back