Winter ( The worst is yet to come )

I don't find this weather at all cold right now (I was visiting the UK seven months ago, and it hit -18 celcius whilst I was staying with friends in Manchester, so...), but it all depends what you're used to, doesn't it? And this winter and last winter are definitely colder than I remember it getting the first two times I visited BA, in July/August of 2003 and 2004.

I do firmly believe Argentines dress according to the calendar in winter though. The other day it was 20 celsius. I was walking round San Telmo in jeans and a t-shirt in mid-afternoon... but a substantial number of the locals I walked past still had their winter coats on. If it'd been late September and the exact same conditions, they'd have been dressed like me, but no, it's July, so it's cold.

This is my 3rd winter here. The winters here are not that bad (I'm from DC/MD). For every cold day like we had last week there is generally a warm one like yesterday.

Summer is the same way. There are some days that are really hot, but in general the weather is pretty agreeable.

Was that a winter? Is the worst already over? hahahahha!

Up to now, these are the high and low temperatures (in degrees Celsius) in BA for the first 10 days of July.

1,8 / 11,6
-0,6 / 12,3
0,8 / 10,5
-0,4 / 13,5
2,4 / 13,9
1,1 / 14,1
5,1 / 17,2
5,2 / 19
9,9 / 21
9 / 18,9

These temps so far give an average high of 15,2 and an average low of 3,4.

15,2 almost equals the historical average high of 15,4, whereas 3,4 is 4,2 degrees lower than the historical average low of 7,6. This is a tendency of the last winters: the low is lower but the high remains the same. This, I guess, is due to winters being drier than in the past.

marksoc said:
Lima is famous for being a very depressing place, weather-wise. BA has the sunny winter days, but the humidity makes them very cold in your bones. Northern Patagonia has the cold and the snow, but being dry I don´t suffer the cold like here in BA.
Humidity in the winter?? how is that? wierd weather in bs.as

BROOKLYN said:
Humidity in the winter?? how is that? wierd weather in bs.as

I think we're getting drier winters than in the past. I miss those old winter humid days when the temp was 8 or 10 C (46 to 50 F) all day but the humidity was so high and the wind so strong that it felt like freezing.

today was hot as hell
i was running cuz i had to make up 4 blocks in a few minutes and i had to take off my sweater

take off another point for the alarmist doom and gloomers

Well, up to now, these are the temps for the first 20 days of July:

1,8 / 11,6
-0,6 / 12,3
0,8 / 10,5
-0,4 / 13,5
2,4 / 13,9
1,1 / 14,1
5,1 / 17,2
5,2 / 19
9,9 / 21
9 / 18,9
11,2 / 19,3
12,1 / 22,2
7,5 / 17,4
10,1 / 15,6
13,4 / 19,3
10,2 / 17,7
4,6 / 14,3
10,6 / 12,4
6,4 / 11,8
5,8 / 9,0

The averages so far are: 6,3 / 15,6
The historical averages for the period 1961-1990 are: 7,6 /15,4

Let's see what the last ten days of the month have in store for us.

PS: I realize now I've been using our standard notation with commas (instead of periods) to separate whole numbers from decimals, but I guess you get the numbers.

Cheers

i managed to survive an entire winter in finland this year, buenos aires doesn't scare me. if i can do -20 for several months then i should be able to hack it here right?

saying that, it might be nice to have a summer a some point in the next few years as well... it has been a while.

I am currently in DC -actually Annapolis, MD- and is 98 degrees here today. RED CODE! Every outdoor sporting/event has been canceled. I play field hockey and my game was canceled :- ( ... i'll be heading to BA in a week and not looking forward to the cold weather either...

Back