Word of the Day:

OK, here's a word I made up for appropriate situations: Poo Poo de Toro.

Pretty self explanatory, nicer than "bullshit" and a private joke between a friend and I.

I'm dying to know what "Las Plantas No Pecan" means (graffiti all over Palermo). Know it's a band (I think) but what is the translation in English? Dictionary no help.

elhombresinnombre said:
I put my hands up here - I've lead a very sheltered life and despite my Oxford dictionary, my 'Diccionario del habla de los Argentinos' and Google Translate I have no idea what 'Kilombo' means. And I'm afraid of asking the nice people around me in case of what it might mean. Help me out here, guys!

I'm surprised you don't know this word! It's quite useful.
You can check the thread below for a definition of quilomobo. I won't post it here as it's not my writing:
http://forum.wordreference.com/showpost.php?p=5487130&postcount=9

It's one of my favorite words.

victoria said:
OK, here's a word I made up for appropriate situations: Poo Poo de Toro.

Pretty self explanatory, nicer than "bullshit" and a private joke between a friend and I.

I'm dying to know what "Las Plantas No Pecan" means (graffiti all over Palermo). Know it's a band (I think) but what is the translation in English? Dictionary no help.

Plants don't sin.

Quilombo means "a mess" or "clusterf*ck".

In addition to wordreference.com, I find http://www.asihablamos.com/ to be really useful for looking up Spanish slang and colloquialisms (since it allows users from different countries and regions to declare what it means there, and there are some pretty funny/significant/embarrassing regional variances).

flippinkittin said:
Today I learned the word for shell (for an egg or nut): cáscara
It is also used to refer to most skins of fruits or vegetables, like bananas, oranges, apples, tomatoes, etc. E.g: "No me gusta comer la cáscara de manzana".

Another spanish word that means "shell" is "caparazón" and it is used quite differently from "cáscara". E.g: "El caparazón de la tortuga".
Its definition being: "1. m. Cubierta dura, de distinta naturaleza según los casos, que protege el cuerpo de ciertos animales, como protozoos, crustáceos y quelonios."

I knew quilombo meant prostibulo. After reading this thread I got curious, and googled a bit. Here's some info:

"QUILOMBO
Lunfardo (Argentina)
(pop.) Burdel (LS.), mancebía (LS.), prostíbulo
Desorden, escándalo
Mezcla o confusión de cosas, enredo
Dificultades o problemas familiares o comerciales.
"

"quilombo
In colonial Brazil, a community organized by fugitive slaves. Quilombos were located in inaccessible areas and usually consisted of fewer than 100 people who survived by farming and raiding."

That's very interesting, I didn't know that quilombo originally meant that, but you are right. Other thing I didn't know is that it's a word of african origin.

Still, I actually never heard it used to refer to a prostíbulo.

And what about barbaro ?
I guess it's a specific porteno word.

As well, do they use the word facturas in Spain for croissants and so on, or is
it too a porteno word ?

Facturas seems to be an Arg. word. In Uruguay they are called bizcochos.

Back