Word of the Day:

elhombresinnombre said:
I put my hands up here - I've lead a very sheltered life and despite my Oxford dictionary, my 'Diccionario del habla de los Argentinos' and Google Translate I have no idea what 'Kilombo' means. And I'm afraid of asking the nice people around me in case of what it might mean. Help me out here, guys!
Quilombo (not with k) : originally referred as a name for whore house, slides to the meaning of a messy situation, alike to those in a brothel.

gusgutier said:
Quilombo (not with k) : originally referred as a name for whore house, slides to the meaning of a messy situation, alike to those in a brothel.

According to Diccionario de lunfardo:

Kilombo: Prostíbulo. Desorden, lío.
Quilombo: Prostíbulo, alborotar, perturbar

victoria said:
OK, here's a word I made up for appropriate situations: Poo Poo de Toro.

Pretty self explanatory, nicer than "bullshit" and a private joke between a friend and I.

I'm dying to know what "Las Plantas No Pecan" means (graffiti all over Palermo). Know it's a band (I think) but what is the translation in English? Dictionary no help.

"Las Plantas no Pecan" ( plants do not sin ) must be most likely marihuana related.

tachero/tacho = taxi driver/taxi. I just learned it the other day.

And my current favorite: porqueria. Porqueria - terrible, sucks, awful. Ej: Said I watching a terrible movie last night - La película es una porquería!

citygirl said:
tachero/tacho = taxi driver/taxi. I just learned it the other day.

And my current favorite: porqueria. Porqueria - terrible, sucks, awful. Ej: Said I watching a terrible movie last night - La película es una porquería!

Bare in mind that the word tachero is not liked by cab drivers, so refrain from using the term tachero when you are addressing them ( just in case )

today's word was "mona" as in "sos muy mona" mona apparently means sexy, cool, etc.

Lunfardo is very colorful
Highly recommended Argentine slang dictionary is this one http://argentineslang.wordpress.com/p/
My word of the day is Pedo literally fart but with many meanings.
pedo [m] [taboo, mildly rude nowadays] 1 a fart; 2 an occasion of being drunk, or the state of being drunk; en pedo drunk; ni en pedo lit. ‘not even drunk’, i. e. ‘no way’; 3 al pedo doing nothing, with nothing to do, not busy; useless(ly), superfluous(ly); 4 de pedo barely, just about enough, as in llegó de pedo ‘he was barely able to arrive (in time)’. For the fixed phrase cagar a pedos, see cagar.

Back