Word of the Day:

tez said:
I remember asking my Spanish teacher two years ago if "que hora son" was correct and she gave me a 100% no answer.

Well yes, of course it's 100% no. My intervention above was to suggest that if you're going to use the third person plural ie. 'son', then the noun needs to be plural also...."que horas son", which is at least grammatically correct.

Whether it's a form that's used anywhere in the Spanish speaking world to ask the time is another question altogether (to which I don't know the answer - though Manu Chao would appear to think so!).

Que hora es is correct as it/there can only be one time.

Que hora son can never be correct because it implies that there are more than one clocks or times. Even if u were confused about the time time due to too many clocks none of which had the same time, u cannot use it like that.

Now it is impossible to answer a question at the exact same time it was asked but son can never be used in that situation.

Regarding “¿Qué horas son?” (with the s sound slurring together when spoken), I studied in Mexico, and it the common way to say it in Mexico, though not “proper” in the same way many of the words we are mentioning are “not proper.” In fact, it is so common in Mexico, our profs warned us about it. Once, someone made a good case to me that most of the day the answer is “SON las … ;“ only at 1:00 is the answer different, so it is a construction that makes sense. Acabo de “wordferencear” the phrase, though, and found out it is common in other parts of Latin America (particularly a Venezuelan was complaining about it).

It’s great to know correct grammar, but it makes more sense to adapt your speech to where you are so you don’t sound like a book. Just imagine some foreign speaker walking around my native Kentucky pointing out to us that “ain’t” and “ya’ll” are not correct English! You know where we'd tell him or her to go!

@Billsfan, I totally agree. I LOVE “Argentine Spanish!” That’s why I said I love how the passion, color, and really history of the people is mixed in the language. It’s one of my favorite things about living here – as well as the long, diverse history of immigration here from all over Latin America and the world that also color the language and make it unique.

But I can’t help it, that every Argentine that gives me some mini Argentine Spanish vocab lesson prefaces it with, “You know, this is not technically, proper castellano but…” And I think as a second language speaker of Spanish, it is helpful to know what is Argentine lunfardo, Peruvian jerga or a Mexican modismo, etc. so you can differentiate when and how you use it. Case in point, an Argentine friend of my fiancé visited family in Bolivia and referred to their kids as pendejos, which is not offensive here, and caused a family ruckus!

emilyr said:
Regarding “¿Qué horas son?” (with the s sound slurring together when spoken), I studied in Mexico, and it the common way to say it in Mexico, though not “proper” in the same way many of the words we are mentioning are “not proper.” In fact, it is so common in Mexico, our profs warned us about it. Once, someone made a good case to me that most of the day the answer is “SON las … ;“ only at 1:00 is the answer different, so it is a construction that makes sense. Acabo de “wordferencear” the phrase, though, and found out it is common in other parts of Latin America (particularly a Venezuelan was complaining about it).

Thankyou emily!

And I'm in complete agreement with you about Argentinian Spanish...I love the informality and adaptability of it.

Hey Guys, i live you this one for you to find out (im argie, so i already know it !! hehe)

Paga dios

tip: very usefull resource when broke but hungry jejeje :p

enjoy !

-Juan

emilyr said:
@Juan, does this phrase work in restaurants?!? : )

hehe, yes it does although it´s not limited to just restaurants, it can be used in pretty much any place where being broke is a disadvantage ;)

-Juan

Nota de una empresa de USA a su personal en Argentina

It has been brought to our attention by several officials visiting our office in Buenos Aires that offensive language is commonly used by our spanish speaking staff. Such behavior, in addition to violating our policy, is highly unprofessional and offensive to both visitors and staff.
All personnel will immediatly adhere to the following rules:
1. Words like carajo, la puta madre o me da en el quinto forro and other such expressions will not be tolerated or used for emphasis or dramatic effect, no matter how heated a discussion may become.
2. You will not say la cagó when someone makes a mistake, or lo están cagando a pedos if you see someone being reprimended, or qué cagada when a major mistake has been made. All forms and derivations of the verb cagar are utterly innapropiate and unacceptable in our environment.
3. No project manager, section head or administrator under any circumstances will be referred as hijo de mil puta, guanaco, mal parido, es una mierda or es una bosta.
4. Lack of determination will not be referred to as falta de huevos nor will persons who lack initiative be referred to as cagón de mierda, pelotudo or boludo.
5. Unusual or creative ideas offered by management are not to be referred as pajas mentales or pendejadas.
6. Do not say cómo hincha las pelotas nor qué ladilla de mierda if a person is persistent; do not add cagó fuego, if a colleague is going through a difficult situation. Furthermore, you must not say cagamos (refer to item #2) nor nos rompieron el orto when a matter becomes excessively complicated.
7. When asking someone to leave you alone, you must not say andate a la concha de tu hermana nor should you ever substitute May I help you? with ¿Qué mierda querés?
8. Under no circumstances should you ever call your elderly industrial partners viejos chotos.
9. Do not say me chupa un huevo when a relevant project is presented to you, nor should you ever answer sobame el nabo when your assistance is required.
10.You should never call partners as puto de mierda o vieja tortillera; the sexual bahavior of our staff is not to be discussed in terms suchs
as viejo trolo, la mira con cariño or mariquita.
11. Last but not least, after reading this note, please don´t say me la paso por el orto. Just keep it clean and dispose of it properly.
Thank you.

Cáscara is also the word for the skin of things like pea pods and oranges
flippinkittin said:
Hello everyone,

As ex-pats, the language barrier can sometimes be a frustrating one for us; I hope we can all help each other in the quest for knowledge. I was thinking that this thread could be a great place for us all to share the favorite word that we have learned that day. If you have not yet learned a word today, this can be a great place to come and find something useful.

Today I learned the word for shell (for an egg or nut): cáscara

gusgutier said:
Nota de una empresa de USA a su personal en Argentina
It has been brought to our attention by several officials visiting our office in Buenos Aires that offensive language is commonly used by our spanish speaking staff. Such behavior, in addition to violating our policy, is highly unprofessional and offensive to both visitors and staff.
All personnel will immediatly adhere to the following rules:
1. Words like carajo, la puta madre o me da en el quinto forro and other such expressions will not be tolerated or used for emphasis or dramatic effect, no matter how heated a discussion may become.
2. You will not say la cagó when someone makes a mistake, or lo están cagando a pedos if you see someone being reprimended, or qué cagada when a major mistake has been made. All forms and derivations of the verb cagar are utterly innapropiate and unacceptable in our environment.
3. No project manager, section head or administrator under any circumstances will be referred as hijo de mil puta, guanaco, mal parido, es una mierda or es una bosta.
4. Lack of determination will not be referred to as falta de huevos nor will persons who lack initiative be referred to as cagón de mierda, pelotudo or boludo.
5. Unusual or creative ideas offered by management are not to be referred as pajas mentales or pendejadas.
6. Do not say cómo hincha las pelotas nor qué ladilla de mierda if a person is persistent; do not add cagó fuego, if a colleague is going through a difficult situation. Furthermore, you must not say cagamos (refer to item #2) nor nos rompieron el orto when a matter becomes excessively complicated.
7. When asking someone to leave you alone, you must not say andate a la concha de tu hermana nor should you ever substitute May I help you? with ¿Qué mierda querés?
8. Under no circumstances should you ever call your elderly industrial partners viejos chotos.
9. Do not say me chupa un huevo when a relevant project is presented to you, nor should you ever answer sobame el nabo when your assistance is required.
10.You should never call partners as puto de mierda o vieja tortillera; the sexual bahavior of our staff is not to be discussed in terms suchs
as viejo trolo, la mira con cariño or mariquita.
11. Last but not least, after reading this note, please don´t say me la paso por el orto. Just keep it clean and dispose of it properly.
Thank you.
This is hilarious. Is it real??

Back