Would Life Here Be Easier If I Didn't Read This Site?

After a trip home my son has rejected media lunas, he just wants proper croissants now! I have never attempted, seems it is probably an awful lot of work to do from scratch.

Me neither, but it does look like an awful lot of work! But the good news is that you can make a ton and freeze them, then use a small oven to cook them whenever you like.
I found two recipes to try, so far: this one and this one. On the last site they also have two recipes (#1 and #2) for baguettes, but they don't look like the ones you have in France!

If you have better recipes that are doable at home, please share!

Life is hard enough just for me without having to hear about how much harder it is for everyone else. Sure, it offers some perspective, thinking "at least THIS didn't happen to me, at least THAT didn't happen to me [yet]" but it also generates a kind of low-lying anxiety that it MIGHT happen to me someday.

Maybe you're right, but I don't take these horror stories too much to heart. What good does it do you to stress about X person you never met who got robbed? I don't really pay much mind, I read the stories on part entertainment value (sorry, it IS the internet) and a little bit to keep abreast of any new things to keep an eye out for (taxi chorros?), but I never take it so seriously as to be constantly stressed in the streets or let it affect me. I've never been robbed (knock on wood) in 7 years here and in Spain combined. Don't take the forum too seriously, it's just the internet....

Perhaps one Must balance the depressing news on one hand with the Valuable info on the other. One can limit eself to read the posts of interest . I have been accused via PM, that I post too many bad news and catastrophic events, inspired by Clarin ? Am I in trouble?

So I will now post news from Tiempo Argentino to counter balance the news in the Forum.

They want a paralityc State with no ability to Control

. The Fear is not the lSupply Law itself, but that the law is applied requiring that the invisible hand
must also comply with the rules of democracy elected by popular vote.

[background=rgb(244, 244, 244)]El temor no está en la ley en sí misma sino en que esa ley se aplique y que obligue a que la mano invisible también deba cumplir con las reglas de la democracia elegida por el voto popular.[/background]

LOL I love you guys. I found the best French-style croissant at a cafe on Pedraza right before the tunnel (the Cabildo side of the tunnel). Scones, cheesy bread, and the funny thing is that they had medialunas too, but I saw the croissant and asked, "is this the French style medialuna?" and the guy said "yeah, it's the croissant" in his cutely terrible accent.

One thing I never understand about this site or other expats is complaining about crime. I found my time in Buenos Aires to be very safe. I frequently took long walks at night. My mom visited me and I walked with her at night for 2 miles. I've never felt unsafe in Buenos Aires. All major cities have crime, but I've found it to be a LOT safer than, say, Rio, and so I really don't get the excessive worrying about crime. If I hadn't lived there to trust my own judgment I'd be quite misled by such reports (and also, to be fair, by what Argentinians themselves say about crime; however, I think the explanation for that is 1) exaggeration and 2) it's risen relative to what they were used to. But I think it's still quite a safe city).

Frenchie, please post your baguettes recipe if you get a chance (are you using a machine?) We're starting to think of getting a machine. For now no machine so I've just been making 18hr ciabatta (no knead) My mum gave me a hand mixer with a bread dough attachment but it has no stand so I'll have to give it a go and see if it's really strong enough to do a dough.

Updated in the food section!

I've asked myself the same question over the years. At the end of the day, no. I can vent here when I'm sitting at home and then in "real life" spend more time having conversations that don't consist of moaning and groaning. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Argentine tradition of nonstop bitching, but I guess I do my fair share here. I started reading here to begin with because all my friends were still head-over-heels in love with this place and after just six months I had already started to believe it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Rather than bitch and moan and bring them down, I started to read here, and felt comforted that others had seen, lived and felt the same things I had. Frankly, if I absolutely loved living here, I wouldn't read this site other than to get information I'm searching for. I actually hear about just as much negative/scary stuff in real life as I do here, so it's not like the forum alters my perception of life in BA. It's pretty spot on, IMO.

If you think the forum is bringing you down, try taking a break for a week or so and see how you feel.

One thing I never understand about this site or other expats is complaining about crime. I found my time in Buenos Aires to be very safe. I frequently took long walks at night. My mom visited me and I walked with her at night for 2 miles. I've never felt unsafe in Buenos Aires. All major cities have crime, but I've found it to be a LOT safer than, say, Rio, and so I really don't get the excessive worrying about crime. If I hadn't lived there to trust my own judgment I'd be quite misled by such reports (and also, to be fair, by what Argentinians themselves say about crime; however, I think the explanation for that is 1) exaggeration and 2) it's risen relative to what they were used to. But I think it's still quite a safe city).

Its maybe relative....as others have said if people are used to no crime, then it can seem bad. I know swiss people who think Geneva is a crime infested city! Its the safest place I ever lived....

However I never heard stories in Geneva like I hear on here, so maybe BA is not so safe. But maybe that does not mean its so dangerous you cannot come here - I used to live in manchester and many stories on here are similar to what happened to my friends there 10 years ago (kidnapped at knife point until atm card was maxed out, attacked in bars randomly, mugged by someone attacking from behind with an iron bar and so on....) - only difference seems to be people here use guns, instead of knives. Yet I only experienced trouble twice in 5 years in manchester, despite it being quite a dangerous city (relative to many other UK cities - right now apparently it is still the most dangerous city in the UK to be a student due to violent crime). So statistically I was not that likely to get trouble (twice in 5 years is not much - though one of these times could have been very nasty, if a group of friends had not saved me). At the time I just thought all this crime was normal, because I had never lived in a city before (its only now I realise its not normal and many cities don't have a lot of violent crime, though quite a lot do)

I'm not talking so much about crime, just about the struggles of day to day life (like the recent thread on the latest crazy bureaucracy story)

Back