Would you move a family to Argentina...?

18000 pesos is GBP 2400 more or less at official exchange rates - sounds a lot but it isn't really - if there was an easily accessible "blue" pound , you are really looking at the value being between 1600 and 1700 GBP.

the way inflation is going I reckon you wont save too much , even if you are getting all the benefits like accommodation and schooling.

I would really think about unless your salary was guaranteed and paid in dollars or euros.

I would take as much advice as possible. Maybe even sound out your employer.
Sorry that much of the opinion here is a tad negative mate, but many of us live here and earn in pesos, so the pinch is even harder in that respect.
I think it's the earning in Pesos that will be tricky.
Oh and I haven't detected any anti British sentiment whatsoever and I'm British.
That is and will always be a purely political matter.

Gringoboy said:
I would take as much advice as possible. Maybe even sound out your employer.
Sorry that much of the opinion here is a tad negative mate, but many of us live here and earn in pesos, so the pinch is even harder in that respect.
I think it's the earning in Pesos that will be tricky.
Oh and I haven't detected any anti British sentiment whatsoever and I'm British.
That is and will always be a purely political matter.

i second that, the only time the islands are brought up are by politicans in sticky situations. it has proven to be a very helpful smoke-screen.

another brit, never really had any hassle re: malvinas.

I would push for wages to be paid:
a. in dollars/euros
b. into home bank account

one or other. As someone else said, 18,000 pesos will be 40-50% less thanks to inflation by the time two years is up.

Inflation is currently c.25%. Who knows where it will be 18 months down the line....might be 40%.

Noelle said:
Absolutely not. Not the right time, not with small kids, no being a Brit...sorry, I rather be blunt but honest...someone before me in this thread mentioned a strong "go gringo home" sentiment, that cant be more true.

That might have been me but I didn't mean it as a persistent kind of general mood but as a nasty card I can foresee the Gubermint playing at a not so distant future.

Everything is hunky dory with the Brits (individuals) and suddenly you find out in the papers that there's a lot of animosity between our respective Leaders over the southern islands... ??? That was the case the past two years at certain dates.
If the Chavista rhetoric gets inflamed once again it might aim in all directions. We had our absurd diplomatic rash with the US over a plane's content. Preposterous!

By gringo I ment mostly "americans" :D but truth is any will do when we're looking for "têtes de Turc" (scapegoats)
Just sayin'

Hop said:
after five years, i'm leaving for many different reasons but the bottom line is the pesos i earn are worthless. if you're offered a job in pesos, don't bother, because it's very unlikely you'll be able to change them on your way out. Thus, saving money is pointless.

i'll let the others detail the problems with insecurity, poor quality and expensive products, lack of variety of food, the persistent challenges of daily life, etc

If you really feel your pesos are worthless, I'm happy to take them off your hands. I'll even come over to your place and save you the trip of bringing them to me. :D:D

Can you all stop the rhetoric about how the peso is worth nothing? The peso is worth $0.15 USD. There are thousands of Argentines who will change your pesos for dollars. The problem is that a lot of people on this board think they should be getting the official exchange rate for their pesos and that is why they run into so much trouble.

If you go into this job with the awareness that your $18,000 peso salary is worth about 1750 GBP, you'll be just fine.

el_expatriado said:
If you go into this job with the awareness that your $18,000 peso salary is worth about 1750 GBP, you'll be just fine.

Exactly. Just as long as you know that it's only 1,750 GBP right now (and could drastically change in the short/long term) and you are comfortable with it.

There is some good advice on this thread. Just go into the move with your eye wide open.

You mentioned that your kids are younger. I agree this will be easier now before they started school and developed friendships with other kids. It's easier uprooting kids when they are that young. But once they start school (even Kindergarten) it's more difficult to make big moves like this.

None of us can factor in how much this could help your career. Just out of curiosity, how would this help your career? Is it because no one else in your company would take this move? Just ask yourself the important questions like what the odds of you getting ahead in your job if you took it?

Also, compare how much you are currently making. No offense but £1,750 with 2 kids is NOTHING to write home about. Even with rent covered, I'd consider that a very tiny amount. No way I could survive on that with my two kids.

You mentioned traveling around in South America. That isn't a big salary to travel around in South America with a family of 4. Traveling within South America is NOTHING like traveling around in Europe on super discount airlines like Ryan Air or Easyjet. It's quite expensive here.

So you probably need to ask yourself how much of this is you wanting an adventure and exploring South America and how much of this is actually the possibility of you getting ahead with your job. The key is just be honest with yourself.

Also, what does your spouse think about your plans and this move? Typically in a huge move like this it's always tougher on the spouse. Is she on board with this move and does she know the realistic situation of Argentina right now? You have to honestly answer those kinds of questions before you even think about a big move like this.

And someone else brings up a good point about how many times do you plan to go back to the UK for holidays? I'd assume at least once a year to visit family/grandparents, etc.

Because I have two young kids and just a simple flight back to Europe with 4 can be over $6,000 US dollars in coach class. So I'd also see how much of savings you have built up.

Just go into the possible move with as much information as possible and stay realistic. I'd also recommend making a pro/con list for staying and moving.

From the outside looking in, it sounds more like you are looking for an adventure vs. doing it for a possible career advancement. And that is still ok as long as you're being honest with yourself about it.

bugsbunny said:
Interestingly I asked at our local Post Office whether they accepted Pesos. They said no problems at the going rate. So can you take Pesos out of the country?

Absolutely this will NOT be true. Despite what any post office or bank abroad might tell you when you inquire, it's just not true that you will get the official rate. No way. I've heard this from other people that swore on them and I told them it's impossible and sure enough when they went to actually try to do the exchange they were told it's not possible.

What post office is this where you were told you'd get the official rate. I'm quite sure with certainty there is no way you will be able to exchange at the official rate so definitely that isn't true. Go back and try to actually exchange and see what they say.

el_expatriado said:
Can you all stop the rhetoric about how the peso is worth nothing? The peso is worth $0.15 USD. There are thousands of Argentines who will change your pesos for dollars. The problem is that a lot of people on this board think they should be getting the official exchange rate for their pesos and that is why they run into so much trouble.

I think you've missed the point.

bugsbunny said:
I'd be earning in the range of 18,000 pesos per month with accommodation , bills, childrens education and excellent holiday time included. As such this is a big motivating factor to go! The chance to travel throughout South America is a tempting one.

Interestingly I asked at our local Post Office whether they accepted Pesos. They said no problems at the going rate. So can you take Pesos out of the country?

18000 pesos isn't much for your plans of traveling, even if that is after rent/education etc. Flights are super expensive compared to flying around Europe, and int'l flights are even more so. Oh and you'll be working here right, so I guess you'll be like the rest of us that have to get approval from AFIP (revenue services) to buy int'l currency before you travel. So you won't be able to dump many of those pesos abroad on your trips.

And as to the post office taking pesos, watch out. There's a big difference between them accepting 500 pesos left over from your last trip to Argentina and 40,000 pesos (or whatever you manage to save, which frankly won't be worth much anyway). When I asked various banks and exchanges in Canada if they would buy any of my husbands life savings I actually had a couple of them laugh at me; one was nicer and said, sorry I don't think anyone will want your pesos, and another offered me 10-1. No exchange house (or post office) wants to be weighed down with thousands of pesos of a worthless currency if there's not enough people that are going to come into buy them.

Come if you're willing to burn every peso you earn locally - that's what the govt wants us to do anyway. Think of it as two years lost income. If you're happy to lose two years of income, come, enjoy. But don't come if you're hoping to take even a penny of savings home with you, odds are you will not be able to.

@bugs bunny,

You could save the pesos and exchange it with dollars at the blue rate. Many expats will exchange it for you.

SO its not impossible to exchange but it would pinch you for sure to buy in the blue rate to save.

If you dont want to handle dollars here..Their are many expats who would take your pesos in BA and out dollars or euros in your a/c abroad at the blue rate.

Back