Would you move a family to Argentina...?

bugsbunny

Registered
If you were a family of 4 with a stable career and a happy family (2 young children) life in the UK but also looking for adventure, would you move to Argentina?

Having been offered a very good job in a relatively leafy part of BA with excellent conditions but almost all in pesos we've started to research the lifestyle of BA and found this excellent forum. However when I read the posts here it's a bit like researching a medical condition on the Internet. Before you know it you've got six months to live and everything is futile!!

Will my wife be able to go out on her own with the children, as she does here, without fear of being robbed or worse?

The way I see it is that there are quite a few embittered people here on the forum who seem to have large amounts of time on their hands to run everything about Argentina down, forgetting that it is a developing country and therefore not like their home country where everything is milk and honey...

There must be plenty of positives of life in Argentina.. and it would be great to hear from those who have made the leap and not regretted it

Any levelled reasoned response would be great.

Many thanks!

Here's my opinion, I am a native new yorker and have lived in Argentina for 6 years. When I first came here, I really loved just about everything about it. There are still things I like. However in the past 2 years the political situation has worsened, and discontent of the general population has increased significantly. People who I knew who have had families similar to yours have left. Argentina is a great place if you have money outside the country, have a large network of family and friends, and don't have to depend on a local business or the local economy to survive. When I first came here I got an okay job, where I worked for a year, I then opened a business which was difficult, but did well economically but then the corruption took over, inspectors asking for bribes, being held up at gunpoint, difficult employees, bursting pipes that nobody would fix, merchandise unavailable to sell, people wanting kickbacks to deliver goods to my store, and it goes on and on. Since I closed my business I've had 2 jobs, the first one lasted for 5 months and that company closed and went back to the USA, and the 2nd company I worked for cancelled the project I was working on for Argentina and now only focuses on markets outside of Argentina. I found a short term temp project which ends this month, and then I will be unemployed again. As far as safety it's definitely safer than some other places in South America, however if something does happen, and there are more and more crimes each month, the scary part is that there is no effective police or security force to intervene and if there is a tragedy the justice system is also next to inexistant and highly corrupt. This is a very unstable time here, I personally would keep Argentina on my list for a place to visit at some time in the future but I would not relocate here with a family at this point in time. Cheers and good luck.

I'm an argie in my 50's with two young teens. I'd say now is not the time.

There are dark clouds in the horizon and it would not surprise me one bit if in the future, when things really start to go south, the Rulers play the Gringo go home! card to divert the people's anger. They divide to conquer often enough. They also follow Chavez (and Fidel's) path
Income in pesos does not make any sense for foreigners with other options. Who can assure you you'll see those pesos or will be able to use them? Been there already when my youngest was just a baby.
Do not want to play the alarmist but would certainly not bring my family into this turmoil. Being a brit is not a plus, I'm afraid.

bugsbunny said:
However when I read the posts here it's a bit like researching a medical condition on the Internet. Before you know it you've got six months to live and everything is futile!!

lol, 6 months may be overstating it.

as far as adventure goes, this is a place where you can have hundreds. some positive, and some negative.

there are many safe areas, but like any other big city you just have to be careful. crime seems to be increasing as the "crisis" get worse, but for the most part so far it's 'hand over your goods' robbery and not violent. But this too is changing.

most expats (and even some locals) I know are leaving or have left. It is not the Argentina it was even a year ago. Personally I'm staying to see through some of my projects for at least a few more years, but I don't have kids.

I think If I did, I wouldn't be here if I had a choice. sorry to be negative, but thats just my humble opinion.

either way good luck.

I have a similar situation, wife plus 2 kids 8 + 4. We have lived in London, Singapore and Hong Kong because of my work for over 10 years.

While Buenos Aires lacks many of (most) of the things you will find in large cosmopolitan cities, we still find it a pleasurable place to live. We are fortunate to have a nice apartment in one of the better neighborhoods. We have affordable staff (maid + nanny) and eat out most nights. I never feel worried should my wife go out alone with our children, but then again she would have no reason to go to any part of the city where she would be in danger.

If you shop for groceries like a normal person you will find that proteins, vegetables and fruits are available the same as they would be in any supermarket. If you hanker for 'finds crisp pancakes' and processed foods considered typically western you may struggle to find them.

We live on approx 4000 euro p/m not including rent and utilities. You could live on considerably less, but, as I mentioned previously we eat out most evenings.

The one thing you will notice is that you spend a lot less money unclothes here as they are typically not available and people tend to be simpler in their choice of day to day fashion here.

Good luck with the move (should you go for it)

I'd have to concur with a lot of what has been said. I have a family of 4 - (2 kids under 13). We live in Belgrano - one of the more expensive places to live in Buenos Aries and we live well on $4000US per month including rent, food, private school, eating out, etc.

I manage the Argentine subsidiary of USA company. Fortunately, most of our clients are foreigners with Dollars in their hand at the luxury end of the market. We haven't been hit (yet) with a decrease in business. I personally, haven't had the really bad experiences in my business that some people have had but I know for a fact that those things happen.

I came here in 2006 when you could be a total idiot and make money. Those days are gone. If you have a niche that is protected in some way from this economy you could do ok.

Buenos Aires (and the rest of Argentina) has a lot to offer in the way of culture, art, music, tourism, etc. It seems to now have a bit more than it's share of the bad stuff like crime, litter, idiot government policies, and a general negative sentiment.

No. Armed robberies are on the up. We had one last year and my toddler saw it all. Not good.

bugsbunny said:
If you were a family of 4 with a stable career and a happy family (2 young children) life in the UK but also looking for adventure, would you move to Argentina?

Absolutely NOT. In fact, many with families (especially young kids) are moving OUT of Argentina. Not in. Good luck.

after five years, i'm leaving for many different reasons but the bottom line is the pesos i earn are worthless. if you're offered a job in pesos, don't bother, because it's very unlikely you'll be able to change them on your way out. Thus, saving money is pointless.

i'll let the others detail the problems with insecurity, poor quality and expensive products, lack of variety of food, the persistent challenges of daily life, etc

Back