Would you move a family to Argentina...?

Yeah, at the ages of 2 and 4, I would agree that you are much better off than with teenagers, or preteens. Not nearly the worries, particularly if you are only planning to be here for a couple of years.

If you do it, just come with your eyes open, not feeling like a bunch of us are just whinging at stupid things.

As a chance to have a different experience for you and your family i would say jump at this opportunity. It may not happen again.

But consider a few things:
How important is it to save money. If you are earning pesos, and you do manage to save some, it will be next to impossible to exchange to anything else, and even if you were told by your bank/post office that you can change them when you return the fact is you wont be able too as a few people have found out. Even countries close to argentina will not except pesos, or will, but at such a large discount that you will loss alot of the value. I meet alot of travelers in colombia earlier this year who had been in argentina and couldnt change their left over peso when they left the country at the airport/banks/exchanges houses, and tried to change in colombia, but either couldnt, or could, but at a very bad exchange rate - it has since gotten worse.
So dont count of saving any money - unless you can get part of your wages in a foreign currency. And make sure you get at least a 6 monthly review of your salary, that takes inflation into account, but not at the official rate, which is below 10% - i think inflation is probably over 30 percent - at least on food, drink, eating out etc, and most unions are getting 25% or more wage increases at the moment for their members, so it gives you an idea of what real inflation is running at.

If your job comes with accommodation, this will make life easier. You dont have to worry about rent increases, bond (which you may not get back) or a guarantor. But make sure it comes with furniture.

Get your company to provide medical insurance for you and your family- it is expensive (well for a kiwi who have fee hospitals), but have been told by a few people that medical care is good compared to other developing countries, and is pretty much on par with alot of western countries.

Make sure you bring 2 of everything need/want. Any electronics are expensive, and often it is hard to get parts, or even repaired under warranty because of all the import restrictions.

If you plan on travel around south america when in arg, you can pay for your flights with peso if purchased in arg, which are usually more expensive than paying for online. But you wont be able to spend your pesos outside of arg (with the exception or urugary) and again is hard if not impossible to purchase foreign currency in argentina.

It is also worth remembering that things are changing quickly in arg at the moment, and from what i have seen in the last year, i think are probably going to be getting alot worse in the next year - so dont count on anything being said now to be the same in a year or even 6 months time.

My biggest bitches about argentina after living here for 6 years is the ques at supermarkets/banks, the traffic and noise, the hassle of getting anything done or fixed, and now the cost of living and getting money into the country to live on without being ripped off.
However it is a very beautiful country, and diverse.

18,000 pesos a month may seem great now...but most likely be worthless by the time your two years are up....

We moved a year ago. We have two kids, 2 and 4. We are on a foreigner salary so the governing screwing the economy works somehow in our favor. We found living here at least challenging even though I was brought up here as an expat kid so I knew a little what was all this about. You can have a good life, specially with very young kids, but something does not smell well in the air and it is not pollution...

GS_Dirtboy said:
I'd have to concur with a lot of what has been said. I have a family of 4 - (2 kids under 13). We live in Belgrano - one of the more expensive places to live in Buenos Aries and we live well on $4000US per month including rent, food, private school, eating out, etc.

I manage the Argentine subsidiary of USA company. Fortunately, most of our clients are foreigners with Dollars in their hand at the luxury end of the market. We haven't been hit (yet) with a decrease in business. I personally, haven't had the really bad experiences in my business that some people have had but I know for a fact that those things happen.

I came here in 2006 when you could be a total idiot and make money. Those days are gone. If you have a niche that is protected in some way from this economy you could do ok.

Buenos Aires (and the rest of Argentina) has a lot to offer in the way of culture, art, music, tourism, etc. It seems to now have a bit more than it's share of the bad stuff like crime, litter, idiot government policies, and a general negative sentiment.

I need to take an intensuve class on Budget Management , If a family of four can live on $4000 USD per month:D

I'm sure my standards are closer to those of a sewer rat than to those of GS_Dirtboy but I'll make sure not to miss his next economics/politics meeting. :D

Palomar is a somewhat remote and quiet location not subject to the craziness and bitchiness of the City. If you'll be also working there it's a big plus.

Coudn't find where the 18k pesos came from but is certainly NOT an attractive figure and would not bring my kids here thinking it is.

This ship is going down.

Hi,

I am in the same profile as some of the earlier posters. I have 2 young kids and wife, and have worked in several countries regions before BsAs.

I am on an expat package (rent, schooling, admin support) and salary is paid in USD. We also live quite well in a good upper middle class neighborhood but really we live below our means... I think I get by with USD 5K expenses a month (excluding kids school but including rent)...

In general, I do like Bs As quite a bit in terms of weather, wine, food, travel, and people. Also good for my career to experience a new region, language, and all that. However, this is the least safe place I have stayed (over the last 10 years). We do not dress up that much or wear (dare to wear) expensive watches or clothes. I try not to carry a bag lest I get mugged. I take care to watch over our kids while in crowded places. When I see some of the younger or rougher crowds, I keep my iPhone out of sight.... Also, I do get a little irritated that I cannot get all my latest books and gadgets.... Hence, even though I can afford I car, I will not get one, as I think I won't be here for long.

If your package is good, this could be a good short term experience...

I'd say MOST DEFINITELY NOT.

We are a family of 4 (kids under 10) and we came back in late 2007. As others said it was a whole other situation and Argentina offered a great balance between quality of life, professional growth, great food, and obviously the permatourism factor.

Things went down so bad, that even with my wife being pregnant we have considered setting sails and leaving the country (my wife is a local) but the truth is... we can't. Even if manage to sale everything we own I can't exchange that into US$ or Euros or anything other than the local currency. Doing it in the black market would be loosing to much and don't even get me started on our savings (pesos).

I can totally relate to everything Davidglen77 said regarding the economic/work/business atmosphere as it is pretty much what happened to me.

sleslie23 said:
Sorry to be blunt, but only a fool would agree to be paid in pesos right now.

Disclamer: I am paid in pesos.

Even affording a trip back for Christmas is a challenge worthy of Hercules is you are paid in pesos.

P.S: I'm also paid in Kristinian pesos

Back