Would you move a family to Argentina...?

Hmm. Iznogud, that's one scary-ass scenario.

I do think the economic policies right now are not sustainable but I don't think (just my opinion) the next "collapse" or "crisis" would be as bad as it was in 2001. Isn't the situation much different now than it was before? (not a rhetorical question, I am just asking those who know better ;)).

Now this might be a weird and a naive question Iznogud, but in case things do get bad like 2001 or worse, couldn't one run like hell in the direction of Ezeiza, buy a ticket and "get the hell outta Dogde" (so to speak)? Or was that not even a possibility back then?

On another note: Personally I think things are alarmingly bad. The government's taken away a lot of freedoms. All of them related to how you can spend your money and on what you can spend your money but I believe if you take away the right of people to do with their finance as they please, you take away most of their freedoms.

What I am getting at is, sadly, it may take another crisis for this government to leave the people and their money alone. Otherwise, if things continue as they have been for the last decade then, I'm afraid, we are going to see more freedoms taken away from us in one form or another.

We had no clue back in 2001. There was NO WAY the people could figure out that something like that could possible happen.

A lot of menemistas were so happy and gullible thinking that selling the main national utilities companies for small change was progressive and useful. Foreigners with huge salaries had them runing and making exhorbitant profits in not time. Argies had sold the cow for the price of a small steak and were done eating it in no time.

Lot of denial going around. The large cash flow was a lie, the real money had left the building while the party was on. No one saw or cared.

I had a good year in 2000, with the Y2k and shit. Expecting a baby, bought and payed for my appartment. a good client-friend of mine won the lottery and helped me with morgage. It was great on the surface.
But one day I'm bringing U$D 3k and have plans and the next one I'm barely making U$D 150 and ther banks are holding my cash hostage and the bills keep coming in, Expecting me to still earn 3k.
One can not get rid of an office or appartment lease overnight. What is one to do if you can barely or no longer feed the family?

We carried on for as long as we could but by then our savings and our hopes were exhausted. My business never recovered.

I see the government seeking funds desperately and everywhere. No rock left unturned. But, as usual, I do not get to see the benefits of all that money they're supposed to be investing and managing on OUR BEHALF.

The last time they emptied the large funds (Anses, Utilities, etc) and traded retirement funds for IOUs. They went after the large and valuable institutions. Everybody's money, yet no ones direct concern.

This goverment is pillaging left and right. But now they want to know first each individual's worth to make a thorough job.

I/We have nowhere to run to. We are Dodge.

Scary, uh?

Sorry, this is really depressing. I will not post any further on the subject. My apologies.

All those past things and current events forced me to suggest the money is not worth it. This could ruin the OPs life or marriage, you can get scarred for life.
The time with the family is priceless and the early years make the kids.

I will STFU now.

Iznogud said:
Sorry, this is really depressing. I will not post any further on the subject. My apologies.

All those past things and current events forced me to suggest the money is not worth it. This could ruin the OPs life or marriage, you can get scarred for life.

I will STFU now.

Hope you're feeling alright.

I gotta be honest though, I learn a lot from your posts. And in that, I really appreciate what you have to say.

Iznogud said:

I will STFU now.

I also really appreciate your posts and the insights they provide. I'm sure the OP can work out the difference between the advice and the interesting though traumatic history.

Iznogud said:
One can not get rid of an office or appartment lease overnight. What is one to do if you can barely or no longer feed the family?

We carried on for as long as we could but by then our savings and our hopes were exhausted. My business never recovered.

Always have Plan B.

Have 2nd citizenship/passport , 2nd/3rd residencies ready! Jump in the plane asap if required

Have a apartment in another country ready to move to

Have money in banks outside your home country. Have foreign credit cards ready.

Have some gold stored somewhere outside our country and some with you.

Ensure your internet activity/privacy is secure.

If you could own a peace of land where you could grow your own crops and raise cattle, that would be great too. Self sustainability!

Micro-planning at your own level as they call it!

Hope this helps.

Iznogud said:

I will STFU now.

Well I for one appreciate your input. Is funny how the comments as to what the current situation is would vary from argentine citizen to argentine citizen. Like I said yesterday in another thread... I was a lurker on this forum for about 2 years... but as of late I feel the need to do a reality check with somebody from the "outside"... mostly because peeps around me keep telling me "it is ok, this is normal, nothing will happen, it is just the media selling BS, it is the right wing making you believe the world will end, this is Argentina, this is how it goes here, you don't understand, yadda yadda yadda" and that is not what I'm seeing.

Reading you I find comfort in that I'm not alone feeling the way I do but I can't help feeling somewhat sad for what you had to go through.

Let's hope for the best and try and concentrate on the positive, but just in case I just ordered 10 gallons of water and some other non-perishables

Back