Would you move a family to Argentina...?

earlyretirement said:
But not worth arguing over a simple misunderstanding.
An argument (and a truce) needs 2 sides.
I ain't arguing. I'm wondering what s/he's getting so upset about and offering a possible explanation. If s/he is still getting upset, even when I've apologized if I've caused the confusion and then sulks off in a huff....well, maybe they got issues they need to deal with!

demokritos said:
Right, and presumably the mains get shut off in real disaster situations*– I'm just pointing it out because I can't see how it would be preferable to buy 10-gallon jugs of water, or whatever people are thinking, rather than relying on their 1000L water tanks + heavy rationing in a 10-day blackout situation. In a 5-person household, that'd be 20liters of water/day/person. Sorry to derail the thread, I was just curious as to why people would want to stock up on bottled water (canned goods obviously make a lot of sense, on the other hand).

No one expected the part that went TU to do so and the Utilities company had no backup or plan B or ability to interconnect to another grid. What they tried failed so then declared fixing it would take ages, a large replacement unit had to located and imported, so tough luck.

Under normal circumstances when you know in advance that there will be no water SOP is to clean and fill tubs and buckets. No rationing starts until it's too late. Stocks of bottled water ran out fast and even restocking was a big problem. People would not let the distributing trucks unload just the requested stock so they could not even do the normal routes.

Never heard of closed mains.

Also when power failures or surges ruin your hardware and do so in many households, shops etc, then they come up with all sorts of excuses and hoops instead of partially reimburse you.

If I remember correctly, over 100.000 souls were affected, this was in 1999.
http://edant.clarin.com/diario/2000/02/13/e-03801d.htm

:) dont worry be happy! do not make it double!
Never stolen (25 years) wandering around 24/7...i did throw a few kicks a few months ago when two WXXXERS tried to steal my ipad after hesitating for some minutes,but that was all.(weekday almost midnight)
Nevertheless , i wouldnt come here, if i had an "Outside S.American" option.
PS:I am a local.

Bugsbunny

Move to Hurlingham and join the Hurlingham Club. You have 18 holes of golf, ten lawn tennis courts, a bunch of clay courts, a cricket field and a summer cricket league, 5 polo fields, two pools, a kids house, and lots of activities for kids and adults. Did I mention there is boarding for lots of horses and a jumping area too? Lots and lots of members speak English, and if you want, you can send your kids to St. Hilda's College. It has both primary and secondary schools and it follows the English system. Most subjects are taught in English.

Hurlingham is one station away from Palomar on the ex San Martin railroad.

I believe the initiation fee is as little as $4,000 dollars for your family but they may waive it if you explain your short term status and that you, and not your company, would be paying the fee.

Finally, it's got a large wood paneled dinning room, a large reading room, a bar, a bridge room, and a billiards room. and if you want to stay overnight, they have small rooms that they rent out.

It's a wonderful place that would cost you a fortune elsewhere. Google Hurlingham Club in Hurlingham, Argentina and you will find their website. Tell them I sent you! I maintain a foreing membership that allows me to visit once a year for under a month and it only cost $300 or so dollars per year, both for my wife and i.

I grew up in Hurlingham and I absolutely loved the club and all it offered. I am sure your family will too.

earlyretirement said:
Absolutely fifs2! Time flies by so quickly. I think that holds true no matter what country you are in. However, I can honestly say that you can forgot just how inefficient of a place Argentina is after living there for so many years.

After moving back to the USA life just seems TOO EASY now. LOL. I mean everything works so well. You go to the grocery store and everything you could possibly want is there, no lines. You go mail a letter and it's quick and easy or just buy stamps from the machine. You get packages at the door daily with no problems. Traffic is such a breeze with respectful drivers. Banking seems too good to be true after dealing with the horrible banks in Argentina.

Now I wonder how I put up with all the red tape so many years. LOL. Don't get me wrong...I still love Argentina but boy is it an inefficient place.

Are you now in the center of a major city, or in a smaller city, town or suburb?

Doesn't sound entirely like the USA I lived in for 30 years and re-visited last month. Last month, lines in the US grocery store I lived near were longer and slower than in my Coto. The post offices - now privatized are unreliable, slow, rude, overpriced. Read yelp for the litany of complaints. The down-sized police department in Mountain View in bankrupt CA no longer investigate home break-ins. The auto repair shops were sleezy as ever. Bank ATM's were very efficient at dispensing only local currency in 20's. Paycheck lenders are still making a killing. A Starbucks on every corner.

I was considering moving to Bs As with my wife as an early retirement location but the negative posts make me wonder about this city as a safe place. Also considering Santiago, Lima, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Kuala Lumpur.

Basically we're looking for a city that's reasonable cost, nice climate, safe, good health care, fun, good food, yoga/exercise.

Mad Hatter said:
I was considering moving to Bs As with my wife as an early retirement location but the negative posts make me wonder about this city as a safe place. Also considering Santiago, Lima, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Kuala Lumpur.

Basically we're looking for a city that's reasonable cost, nice climate, safe, good health care, fun, good food, yoga/exercise.

I wouldn't consider Buenos Aires a good place to retire to. It's too stressful. And as for reasonable cost - that doesn't exist here - you pay a lot for inferior quality goods, the climate is nice, safety - well that's questionable, there is some good health care, but it's getting expensive, fun there IS plenty of it if you look for it, good food - not really, cuisine is limited, I mean take out is limited to pizza and empanadas, chinese food is expensive and not very good, mexican food, extremely limited, and you even have to search for good ingredients - yoga and exercise are available but not at all the same as in other countries.

Mad Hatter said:
Also considering Santiago, Lima, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Kuala Lumpur.

My retirement location is, for now, in Hua Hin, and have a house on a cliff overlooking the S. China Sea. Hua Hin is south of Bangkok, away from the sleaze of Pattaya, and 2 hours drive from Bangkok and an international airport... Hua Hin is also where the royals have their vacation place.... BKK has good medical facilities.... I like Chiang Mai too but too far from BKK.

KL is good too but not as safe as Hua Hin but I think safer than BsAs.

Mad Hatter said:
Also considering Santiago, Lima, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Kuala Lumpur.

all good choices! I love all 5 of them! If you single, KL could be boring though.

Mad Hatter said:

Dont know Santiago and Chiang Mai but I am not sure here is your answer. Have spent a few days in Lima and reckon its pretty cool, in fact one of the partners in my office was raving to me about Lima the other day (she just came back from 2 years there). Have you been to those cities before that you mention?

Back