WTF Teatro Colon?!

We've taken many of our North American guests to the Teatro Colon tour and they all love it. It is a highlight for many.

Considering the price of a plane ticket down here is $1000+ the investment of $20 in an enriching experience that provides insight into Argentina when it was on its way to becoming the wealthiest nation on earth is educational and enlightening.

It is not only part of Argentine history, it is part of Europe's history and is important to the history of the performing arts. For its opening, and thereafter, many great European talents travelled by steamship to perform here.

The building itself is both opulent and architecturally speaking designed perfectly for acoustics. It's acoustics are ranked 2nd in the world just behind La Scala.

So after investing her time and cash to travel all the way down here I suggest you swing for the for twenty or twenty-five bucks. I am sure Grandma will be happy you did.

hey all thanks for the replies i just wanted to point out that in my original post I said I understand the price differential for argentines. I'm mostly complaining about the absurdly high cost of a 45 minute tour! anyway my grandma wants to do it anyway even though neither of us is very 'rich' nor has an income.

Whether the tour is worth it or not is somewhat beside the point...

60 pesos to 110 in a month is quite the jump! :rolleyes: Where else do prices rise like that? But it seems it doesn't matter since people can justify the price... what's another $25? Or $50... or whatever they feel like charging to walk people through a building. It may be a once in a lifetime experience, but this complacency of rolling with whatever gets handed out is in part why the country is in the shape it's in. "Y bueno, que se puede hacer?"

Part of Argentina's attraction was affordability... and frankly I'm a bit put off by all the state tourist gouging. I honestly wouldn't recommend Buenos Aires as a city to visit... :p in my opinion their money would be better spent elsewhere.

Glad you're biting the bullet and taking grandma on the tour, but one shouldn't have to feel like they're being taking advantage of.

Does anyone, for a second think the tour guide got a raise?

Back