WTF Teatro Colon?!

va2ba said:
I have to say that it makes sense to me to have the resident price be so low. It is Argentina after all and Argentines should be able to enjoy their cultural landmarks just like they should be able to travel around their country with cheaper airfare.

Argentina should be for the Argentines.

Beg it from CFK!

I wasn't expecting so many self-righteous answers about something that increased in price by 186% in ONE DAY! It doesn't seem like this price increase bothered many people but me. Teatro Colon is obviously very historically important and should be accesible to Argentines and whatnot, but the whole point of this thread was about the near double price increase for tourists (and also for Argentines). Please stop judging it as 'cheap' in comparison to the flight etc which was far from the point. EVERYTHING is cheap in comparison to a flight price. Even a night at a hotel in Recoleta is cheap compared to a flight price, but you can stay at a hostel or couch surf and still experience the city. And I'm saying that if something is going up this much in price in one jump then maybe we should look for other things to do and/or start to question these exploitative prices for tourists.

LaurenW said:
I wasn't expecting so many self-righteous answers about something that increased in price by 186% in ONE DAY!

Sorry...

...but your math sucks.

1) The price is 1.83 times what it was. (Not even 1.86 times more.)

...or...

2) The price jumped 83% in one day! (Again, not 86%)

Jumping 186% in one day would have a new price of AR$171.60*.

*(1.86 X 60) + 60= 171.60

Math Tip: "100% increase" = Double

3) But, YES!! we get the point. It's a huge jump for one day. I was shocked last week when I looked up tickets online for some clients and saw the jump. Then I figured it out and realized that it was only US$25.58 (@ 4.3:1) and they had already paid ~US$140 each at the airport, so an extra US$11.63 here wasn't going to kill them.

Many times, like the taxi mafia at the Cruise Ship Port, you are getting held up before you are in the tourism industry. It really pisses me off, but I realize that US$0.50 to US$5.00 is NOTHING to them, so I shouldn't get so worked up when the taxis insist on a flat fee of AR$40 to go 3 or 4 kilometers to Recoleta. The cemetery is free (and I feel that it should be AT LEAST AR$5/person for foreigners), the bathrooms at FREDDO/AROMA are free... as is the wifi there... or across the street at La Biela...

You just have to let it go. Because your mala onda is what people will remember, not paying an extra US$3.81 for a taxi.

with the price of everything else i'd hardly say 110 is exploitative

Argentinians, again, are just seeing the quick buck here. Probably they already feel that in a year or so something bad will happen and want to collect as much money as possible. tourists are an easy target. they think tourists are going to pay it anyway ("prices are going up everywhere, so we go up too!"), but I really really hope that some tourists back away from this, at least the ones that are on a budget. don`t get ripped off.
i`m totally against supporting this price raising politics. i just don`t pay it any more. same with the taxis - although taxis are still quite cheap here, and i can still afford it (even after the third rise within a year) i`m now using the colectivos more and more, because i simply don`t want to support this. it`s my soft way of "protesting"...they just get less money from me, from someone who probably would use and spend more in the long run if it was cheaper...but people just can`t think in longer terms here.

LaurenW said:
My grandma is coming to visit and I wanted to take her on a tour of Teatro Colon. A month ago you could do a tour as an extrajero for 60 pesos (residents 15). I just checked and the new price is 110 pesos (residents 30 pesos).

I just found out that there's an alternative to taking the tour. You could just go ahead and ride the new Teatro Colon RIDE instead!

Buenos Aires at it's FINEST!!: http://vimeo.com/36874836

Quick buck - exploitative pricing increase? Chill.

The price was too low before. They've corrected it to a point that is both affordable to the vast majority of tourists and that contributes towards the costs incurred to renovate and preserve the building.

There are so many free and subsidized festivals and cultural activities here that I think we come to take it for granted. Especially in a non-first world country, these are not free but effort is made to enable access to them. When you think of just how much you can do for free or for very low cost, paying a reasonable fee to see something exceptional is really nothing to complain about.

I think you may be able to purchase a concession ticket for your grandma as a "jubilada" and get it at the reduced price. It's definitely worth a try.

Just to let you know that
the tickets for the first symphony concert of the year is available online now. It's scheduled on March, 8th.

Back