Wtf?

Lee said:
This city is the way it is.

The USA is in decline and you think this shit hole is going anywhere else but down like the rest of the world?

I wish I could look at the world thru those rose colored glasses that you have on but I can't.

You must fit in fantastically here. :rolleyes:

Buenos Aires doesn't have to be a recipe for social upheaval if it doesn't want to be. The city is the way it is because people make decisions to guide it that way.

I will tell you why logic doesn't come into the situation.
I'm a foreigner, and 3 years ago I saw some thieves on the subway. I quietly told the passengers around me, but then they started going into the pockets of other passengers so I said aloud : be careful, there is a theif here: Well, when I got off the subte at my stop, so did the thieves and they cornered me quite agressively and said "you will never do that again" (and took my wallet etc of course) For the next 3 years I have seen those thieves on the subte, but I have never said anything to any of the passengers - because I can't. For any of you who take a lot of public transport every day - I'm sure you see the same.
I'm sorry for the people here who wish it to be utopipa - but it's not. I take public transport - maybe 5 or 6 times per day - and i never have my wallet, phone, or anything else of vlaue on me.

Yes, this is a very famous case. Every psychology student has studied it. (Usually in the first year) And I'm a psychologist - so I know this case very well. But wait until you are the recipient of a knife at your throat on the subway (the subway that you take every day) and maybe you will become subservient to the thieves also!

Dolly said:
I will tell you why logic doesn't come into the situation.
I'm a foreigner, and 3 years ago I saw some thieves on the subway. I quietly told the passengers around me, but then they started going into the pockets of other passengers so I said aloud : be careful, there is a theif here: Well, when I got off the subte at my stop, so did the thieves and they cornered me quite agressively and said "you will never do that again" (and took my wallet etc of course) For the next 3 years I have seen those thieves on the subte, but I have never said anything to any of the passengers - because I can't. For any of you who take a lot of public transport every day - I'm sure you see the same.
I'm sorry for the people here who wish it to be utopipa - but it's not. I take public transport - maybe 5 or 6 times per day - and i never have my wallet, phone, or anything else of vlaue on me.

Sorry this happened to you, and I think it's great that you did say something. But of course logic wouldn't enter into your experience because very few people here have the same mindset as you. Those thieves know that they work in a country where the people are too fearful to say or do anything.

As far as their threats, I don't take most of them seriously. The other day I was standing out in front of the U.S. Embassy and two drunks asking me for a moneda (I didn't have any...) told me, "Te vamo a matar, ehhh!" Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

It is not Utopian to suggest that people can behave as a community. In the United States, it's called "Neighborhood Watch." Similar programs exist in the UK and Germany. I'm not saying the same thing would work here, but it's not as if people in Argentina are not human. They can and should work together to ameliorate the effects of this problem.

Of course, this problem goes beyond community policing. The politicians profit electorally from poverty; and the media get ratings from fear mongering, as well as score their own political points.

Some time ago a woman who lives two doors away from me was held up at gunpoint as she was getting out of her car. It was ten in the evening, and the street was deserted. The muggers wanted to get her inside the house, but she lives alone and was terrified of what might happen, so she started screaming her head off.

Her next door neighbor came out on the sidewalk, lights went on across the street, and people leaned out of their windows. The muggers hopped into their car and fled.

This is a settled, stable area; most of my neighbors have lived here for 20 + years and know each other from walking their dogs, etc. We are not chummy-chummy but do watch out for one another. That seems to work.

By the way, the private guard stationed at the corner did not even stir out of his booth. Those guys are totally useless. In fact, I suspect that they tip burglars as to what goes on in their blocks.

I too was deeply shocked by the news of Matias' murder, but strangely not surprised by the news of it, since this is not isolated.
I live very near Benavidez and like many barrios, you have to be ultra careful especially at night.
On one occasion here, we had a tyre blow out at midnight after a meal out.
Whilst I was fixing the wheel, three police cars arrived and stood watch until I had finished. They refused our tip 'for their favourite charity', but simply said 'it's dangerous here at night'
The police are overstretched and under paid.
I have been held up at gunpoint in my shop twice now. The goofs in the little huts and those who stand watch on street corners are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Their only effect is that of a visible presence.
As the security in BsAs deteriorates, people are locking themselves away and building walls.
It's now become a fortress society and I loathe the way it's become like this .

BSS said:
What would I have done in a situation like that? Would I open my door and try to help, or would I hesitate? Would I just assume that the kid was trying to rob me, high on paco? I don't know, and that is extremely sad to me.

For every story that I hear like this, I hear 5 others where this is used to break into someone´s home. This is definitely and "dog eat dog" society and almost everyone is out for their own safety. They will rarely put that at risk and there is a general distrust of strangers. The ones with the guns have all the power. In my experience the police are ineffective and generally suspected of being corrupt. The thieves are better organize and can disappear into the villas to start all over again the next day.

Not trying to be biased here but just report what I have seen in the last 2.5 years.

Back