Xoom Question?

Meri said:
My transaction was denied recently and I was told it was because of all the sensitive materials the Argentine govt is requiring.

Please check exact wording. It was not "denied". Xoom does not want to take responsibility for providing certain personal information (like scan of passport or driver license) to a third party. So, they suggest you to cancel the transaction.

Xoom can not ask for it for legal reasons, but you can volunteer the information required by Argentine government.

Has anyone managed to Xoom money to their Arg bank account? If not, which is a reliable More Money outlet to pick up cash? What are these places like? They're not just locutorios are they? I don't feel like getting mugged....Thanks!

BednBreakfast said:
Has anyone managed to Xoom money to their Arg bank account? If not, which is a reliable More Money outlet to pick up cash? What are these places like? They're not just locutorios are they? I don't feel like getting mugged....Thanks!
Do a search for "Xoom" and you will find all the answers you are seeking (and more) have already been posted.

Ok, I'm still struggling to find the answers.....I did google and I found 1000 conflicting and meandering responses, could someone please humour me and recap, can I send money to my arg bank account? Does it leave Xoom in pesos? It looks like it does. And if I can't, which more money centre do you recommend? Thanks.

I have succesfully transferred money using Xoom to my wife's bank account without any troubles. Truthfully, I don't believe it is a bank to bank transfer, but rather an agent from More Money that takes the money, and deposits it in the desired bank via self-service machine.

No problems though, of course has not been a lot of money, only a couple of thousand pesos.

BednBreakfast said:
Ok, I'm still struggling to find the answers.....I did google and I found 1000 conflicting and meandering responses, could someone please humour me and recap, can I send money to my arg bank account? Does it leave Xoom in pesos? It looks like it does. And if I can't, which more money centre do you recommend? Thanks.

I think the reason you are finding so many conflicting answers is because we are dealing with Argentina. Many times, the results of some transactions can vary almost as many times as there are transactions. It depends on the day, the person you're dealing with, how tightly they follow regulations that are either published or not published.

I think you should take at face value the comments that have been made in both cases of transferring to a local Argentine bank account using Xoom - some have succeeded and other have not, and that is the story. You can try it and you may have success or you may not.

BTW - the money leaves Xoom as dollars and is converted here into pesos by More Money Transfers, the Argentine partners of Xoom here. What the exact process is behind the scenes, I doubt anyone except those who manage MMT themselves know.

The only MMT center I've heard mentioned that is 100% available seems to be the one at Libertad 1057, which is about half a block of off Santa Fe. It's the one I used to pick up my money.

I did this today. This is exactly what I did and it could really not have been easier.

Transfer under $5000AR to myself, from my US bank account.

I used my cell phone number from AR for the first attempt and I recieved an email that my transaction was cancelled.

I called Xoom and the rep tried to call me, it didn't work, so I gave her a land line, told her dial 54 11 xxxx xxxx, answered, and confirmed my transaction. The rep asked me how long I would be in Argentina ("don't know"), how often I planned to transfer money ("not sure, maybe monthly or to my boyfriend") and that was it.

5 minutes later I did another transaction with the new land line phone listed, and got confirmation.

Then I went to the Libertad office of More, gave them the printed confirmation form Xoom and my passport with a photocopy (seemed unneccesary but he kept it so... not sure). I also had my confirmation of domicilio form the police here but he did not ask for it. He asked what my "activity" here was and I told him "tourist". I signed a bunch of papers, and he handed me my money at the rate published on xoom today, in pesos.

The place is not sketchy at all, is clean, I wouldnt walk around downtown with a ton of money, but it's not a kiosco or anything, more like western union.

Hope that helps someone else do the same as me!

Cheers,
Betha

Great, thanks a bunch guys, I'm going to Xoom myself some money and will update the thread for others!

xoom has still been working for me but they have gotten really much stricter each time i come in. the past time i came in they questioned me for like 30 minutes about what i was doing here. they kept asking for more and more details... i should have just said i was a tourist (im a student). they made me write everything down on a piece of paper including the exact source of my 'funds'... aka she told me 'ahorros' was not specific enough. and this was for an amount of less than 500usd! the fact that they were so inquisitive and suspicious when i was doing nothing at all sketchy makes me think that xoom may be getting cracked down on.

Xoom Update: Successful Transfer
1. I initially tried to transfer money from my US account into a bank account here in Argentina. This request was denied by Xoom and I was informed to transfer the money to myself.
2. I updated the transfer and sent the money to myself. Xoom than advised to cancel the transaction because they did not want to provide my personal information (that was requested by More - the local ARG pick-up service).
3. Xoom did give the option to provide a "release" and state that Xoom was not liable for my personal information. I sent the release and a scan of my Driver's License (NYS).
4. My transaction was confirmed within 3 hours.
5. I went to More to pick up the money. Filled out some forms - occupation, employer, us address, pp# reason for visit, etc. Note: I was playing the extended tourist card with all my answers and I gave mostly bogus information. More provided the exact amount as promised and never asked to see my Driver's License. I only used my US passport.

Xoom Details:
Transfer from: US to ARG
Total Amount: Max of $2,999
Conversion rate: 6.1%
Total Time: 2 days - from initial order to cash in hand

I plan to try again next month and see what happens.

Back