Xoom Question?

NYCExpat said:
Xoom Update: Successful Transfer
1. I initially tried to transfer money from my US account into a bank account here in Argentina. This request was denied by Xoom and I was informed to transfer the money to myself.
2. I updated the transfer and sent the money to myself. Xoom than advised to cancel the transaction because they did not want to provide my personal information (that was requested by More - the local ARG pick-up service).
3. Xoom did give the option to provide a "release" and state that Xoom was not liable for my personal information. I sent the release and a scan of my Driver's License (NYS).
4. My transaction was confirmed within 3 hours.
5. I went to More to pick up the money. Filled out some forms - occupation, employer, us address, pp# reason for visit, etc. Note: I was playing the extended tourist card with all my answers and I gave mostly bogus information. More provided the exact amount as promised and never asked to see my Driver's License. I only used my US passport.

Xoom Details:
Transfer from: US to ARG
Total Amount: Max of $2,999
Conversion rate: 6.1%
Total Time: 2 days - from initial order to cash in hand

I plan to try again next month and see what happens.

I am trying to transfer some money right now to my girlfriend's bank account and I am having some of the same things asked of me. I was asked to provide a scan of an ID and a release letter stating Xoom can send my information to their "partner in Argentina" (More MT) and that I would not hold them responsible for anything they then do with the scan of my document.

I did receive an email late last night saying I still need to send them these documents...but rather than the authorization letter not being clear enough I think I just am getting the stupid treatment from Xoom as is so common...i.e. I sent my info to one person and another wrote the email asking for the same docs I already sent them.

Does anyone have any valid Xoom coupon codes for July that will work? Last time I sent using "cruz" that waived all fees. Anyone know any current coupon codes that work now?

I will be coming from Peru (just traveling) so that means I will have to do the transaction while I'm there. Do I use my credit card (would this be a cash advance? Prefer not), debit card or checking account from the states? Thinking about U$1000 (or less) for my 10 days in BA. From what I've read I'd need to pick it up from More. Question: how much further in advance would I need to do this? If I do it a week before, will they not hold the funds till I get to BA? Will I need to bring my bank statements just in case they need them (to scan and send while in Peru)? Or should I just do the transfer when I get to BA? I will be staying in san apartment I'm renting for that time.

Or should I just bring $ when I visit?

This will be for a visit in October and I realize things can change tomorrow but would just like to know if there are problems with how I'm doing this given my particular circumstances.

Thanks - I've been following the threads and they've really been enlightening. That said, I'm still looking forward to my visit. ;)

BAvisitor said:
I will be coming from Peru (just traveling) so that means I will have to do the transaction while I'm there. Do I use my credit card (would this be a cash advance? Prefer not), debit card or checking account from the states? Thinking about U$1000 (or less) for my 10 days in BA. From what I've read I'd need to pick it up from More. Question: how much further in advance would I need to do this? If I do it a week before, will they not hold the funds till I get to BA? Will I need to bring my bank statements just in case they need them (to scan and send while in Peru).I will be staying in san apartment I'm renting for that time.

Or should I just bring $ when I visit?

This will be for a visit in October and I realize things can change tomorrow but would just like to know if there are problems with how I'm doing this given my particular circumstances.

Thanks - I've been following the threads and they've really been enlightening. That said, I'm still looking forward to my visit. ;)

I use my Credit Card and it did not register as a cash advance but Xoom warns that it can happen, so I'm not 100% on that. You can also transfer directly from your bank account, the fees are actually lower for bank transfers. I pay more to use my CC to earn miles.

The amount of time can vary, I have done it 3 times, once it was done within 24 hours, the 2nd time, over a week, the 3rd time, it was done in seconds. They told us that they will hold your money for up to a month.

Thanks Irina,

How do they work out the credit card charges? I'm seeing a general fee of U$30.

BAvisitor said:
Thanks Irina,

I would also like to know this. I am a miles addict but using a cc for AR$4.6 vs cash with xoom at AR$6.1 just does not make sense.

If Irina does get around it being a cash advance, cancelling out mileage potential and the fee is constant at U$30, I would definitely start using my British Airways CC to transfer funds.

BXpat said:
I would also like to know this. I am a miles addict but using a cc for AR$4.6 vs cash with xoom at AR$6.1 just does not make sense.

If Irina does get around it being a cash advance, cancelling out mileage potential and the fee is constant at U$30, I would definitely start using my British Airways CC to transfer funds.

I have checked Xoom and the Fee for $2000 is $46--? Also the rate is listed at $6.3... Am I wrong??

Regards

Rich One said:
I have checked Xoom and the Fee for $2000 is $46--? Also the rate is listed at $6.3... Am I wrong??

Regards

Exactly. The fee is $46 to send $2,000 and the rates are at 6.30 which is pretty good all things considered. The rate to send $1,000 and $2,000 is the same so you might as well send the higher amount if you need it.

I used my credit card last time for the miles and it went through as a normal purchase so I got the miles.

BAvisitor said:
Thanks Irina,

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees
Here you can see the fees for Bank Transfers vs CC depending on the amount you send.

I'm not sure when it would register as a cash advance or not, maybe it depends on the card company? I use a Chase Mastercard to earn United miles...if that helps.

irina said:
https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees
Here you can see the fees for Bank Transfers vs CC depending on the amount you send.

I'm not sure when it would register as a cash advance or not, maybe it depends on the card company? I use a Chase Mastercard to earn United miles...if that helps.

I have used Xoom a bunch of times, and every time I use my credit card to fund it...it always comes up as a purchase i.e. I got miles for it.

Just make sure you don't check "cash advance" when making the transfer and you will be fine.

Because you are using your card to get all the cash, you can look at using cash here in BA as using your card for everything...except at the higher "casi-blue rate" of Xoom.

Back