xxx....and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SaraSara said:
Your son would be no problem - I biked everywhere with my daughter in a baby seat when she was little, and she loved it. But going up and down an elevator with a bike is a hassle.

I dont think the biggest concern with having a bike in Buenos Aires is how to fit it in the elevator or your apartment. Especially not when your passenger is the most precious you have..

Cyclists have their own way of getting around - once you know the right streets, it is not hard. I ended up carrying my daughter in a sort of front-pack, a kangaroo-type pouch that kept her close to my chest. Worked better than the bike seat.

almagestos said:
And if I want complain about your complains I will... show me the forum rule saying that argentinians can´t come here to write their opinions...
You are welcome to come and complain about us complainers because we will have more to complain about with your complaints in complaining about our complaints. It will be a symbiotic circle, a complainitorium in fact.

SaraSara said:
Why don't you get a bicycle? My daughter is American and looks American - would never be mistaken for a local. She bikes everywhere and had a wheel stolen only once in fourteen years.
My son had 3 bikes stolen out from under him. Two at knife point, one at gun point. All in San Isidro.

Alzinho - sorry to hear about your attempted mugging. I've been here nearly 4 years and been robbed 3 times. Like you, I've lived outside my country for many years - including Asia and Africa where poverty and crime can be high - so I consider myself very aware and careful. I take several subte's and colectivos every day for my work - and although I've only been robbed 3 times, I see other robberies and attempted robberies frequently. Luckily now, I know the groups on most of the subte lines as they work it every day........and I try to move away, but they have warned me that if I make a fuss or alert others - I'm in trouble.
I'm sure you're careful (like I am) but sadly, I take every trip like it's a potential threat (clutching my bag to my front etc) and it's not a comfortable situation to be in.
I'm glad they didn't get anything from you!

ghost said:
My son had 3 bikes stolen out from under him. Two at knife point, one at gun point. All in San Isidro.

I'm sorry to hear that - must have been very frightening for him. The same thing happened to my nephew, also in San Isidro. Actually, it seems this area is risky for bikers - some of his schoolmates also were held up for their bikes.

My daughter rides in the capital, sticks to streets she knows, and uses two kryptonite U-locks to secure her bike when she leaves it. The bike looks like a wreck but it is actually a very good one, and in top shape mechanically. Protective coloration has worked so far.

BKK to BA said:
Wow this thread really took a huge southbound turn!
I assume you mean northbound considering we are south of the equator.....:)

Alzinho,

So sorry to hear of your misfortune! Double sorry to read the personal attacks against you on this forum. Getting robbed sucks, and I never understand the "blame the victim" crap that many people spew. It certainly is a different type of mentality than I'm used to!

I was thankfully not robbed on the subte today at 4:30pm (Linea D, 9 de Julio), but I was standing next to a normal, not flashing looking, non jewelry wearing, 40ish Argentine woman as she was robbed on the full train. She realized immediately what had happened, and started yelling - and the policia actually got the guy. It helped that the thief was not terribly subtle while he was grabbing at her wallet in her bag. And the thief appeared to be 55+years old, white hair, and well dressed. He could have been my father. He was spotted by others on the train, and many people started yelling for the police, and thus, the thief was foiled. The woman was shaken, and very displeased by the attempt.

My two cents - I'm a native NYer, and in more than 30+ years (and I lived through the ugly 80s! in Manhattan!), I have never been mugged, robbed, attacked, the victim of a crime in NYC ever. Wish I could say the same for my less than 1 full year here.

ghost said:

Cripes! Makes me realize how lucky I've been really...

La Marlina said:
Alzinho,
So sorry to hear of your misfortune! Double sorry to read the personal attacks against you on this forum.

Thanks La Marlina.
It is kind of disappointing when you've been the victim of a crime and then get accused of being at fault. The one idiot has gone so far that he's made himself look pretty stupid, but there have also been several expats who have pointed the finger at me on this thread - pretty bizarre really.

Still, it's just an internet forum - I can ignore them.

:)

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back