YPF Nationalized

mulderfox said:
the price is important but it is not all. in venezuela gas is ridiculously cheap, it`s cheaper than water!. and people use old cars that burn gallons and gallons what will happend when the price gets restored to international prices?. also think of the enviroment :D

I am sure the environment is important but I don't know if you noticed or not, camberiu mentioned that "milk" prices and basic products' prices were increased because of higher oil prices, putting unnecessary pressure on the poor of Brazil.

It might be hard for us to imagine but I am just guessing that when one isn't sure whether they will be able to have 3 square meals a day (or sometimes whether they will be able to eat and feed their families at all), they are less concerned about the environment and which car takes more gasoline and destroys more environment than they are about their and their loved ones' survival.

Perspective people, come one. For a lot of people this isn't fantasy land where you feel good about things because you "care" for the environment.

willwright said:
It's a little tough to figure this out logically. If they want to increase production and eliminate imports this action is likely only to make the situation worse. The government simply doesn't have anything close to the funds necessary to develop the existing resources. Excessive government involvement, price controls, etc. have led to the steadily falling production over the last 10 years. Don't see how more of the same is going to make things better. There's plenty of oil in Argentina, enough for them to become exporters but its going to take billions to develop it. My guess is the net result will be continued falling production and more imports. Maybe there's a secret plan that will answer all our questions in a few weeks, or the people making these decisions are really as dumb as they appear. My guess is that Cristina is surrounded by sycophants that basically tell her what she wants to hear. It would be very interesting to find out how this decision was made, if there was any real discussion of the consequences, or how many people where involved(my guess its a very small circle).
After finding that most of the other South American leaders (la Cumbre de las Americas) weren't dancing to her tune (Malvinas) she storms out early, in a huff & runs back to Argentina...next morning she announces the expropriation of YPF.

She imagined that the Spanish were conspiring against her & she had one of her tantrums....most probably forgot to take her medication that morning.

notebook.fix said:
After finding that most of the other South American leaders (la Cumbre de las Americas) weren't dancing to her tune (Malvinas) she storms out early, in a huff & runs back to Argentina...next morning she announces the expropriation of YPF.

She imagined that the Spanish were conspiring against her & she had one of her tantrums....most probably forgot to take her medication that morning.

Yeah I thought it might have something to do with that.:D

nicoenarg said:
And again, it does not matter whether YPF will be successful or not. I do not know, neither do you, what will happen to YPF in the near future. And I don't think anyone here, except you Karla, is talking about the future of YPF to begin with.

Yes, it is clear to me now that almost all the posts on this thread having nothing to do with whether or not YPF will perform better under state contol than it did under Repsol control. The posts are almost all about how a few of you expats hate the CFK gvmt basically because the gvmt isn't making decisions according to your US-centric view of how things ought to be done (and by that I mean that CFK isn't making BsAs into a Manhattan with tango and cheap steak and wine). Since you hate the CFK gvmt, then every decision the gvmt makes is interpreted by you as dilusional or childlike (exactly the same sentiment the anti-Obama right wing fanatics exhibit in the US). I'm sure the irony is lost on you.

nicoenarg said:
The reason Saudi Arabia has not done so swell in the last 20 or so years is directly related to their nationalizing of Aramco ....

Please stop about Aramco, you are embarrassing yourself with your ignorance. Saudi Arabia is doing vastly better now than it was 15 years ago. In case you don't remember, the country was deeply in debt 20 years ago and was considered a basket case. There has been massive development of industry, debt paid down, vast improvements in training programs for citizens, etc. over the past 15 years. All this in the in face of explosive population growth and basically an internal rebellion against the Saud family. Before you get all gushy about UAE, take a look at the size of the economies of KSA and UAE. to make an analogy, the UAE is to Monaco in size and relationship as KSA is to France.

nicoenarg said:
Oh and to wrap it up, I have heard the "government was dealt a sh**ty hand" argument before. It has been 10 years already. I would assume if they really were trying to make things better, the economy would be on the up and up and not trying to go back to the sh*thole they just crawled out of in 2002.
Yes, it only takes 10 years to turn around a bankrupt country with 50% poverty, in which all the commanding heights of the economy have been swindled off to private investors. Surely you can't truly believe what you wrote. Think of the least encumbered gvmts in the world (Singapore comes to mind), and they can't even make the changes you are asking for in 10 years. Are things really the same in Argentina as they were in 2002? Come on, for 95% of the population, things are vastly better. And remember all this was done without credit; no gvmt borrowing and no private borrowing. That is very impressive to be honest. Even Brasil can't make this claim.

dennisr said:
China? Interesting

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/sinopec-repsol-idUSL3E8FH4KD20120417

Looks like trading of YPF has been halted since opening:NYSE

Seems like there are some leaks about the backroom deals that have been percolating for some time. Why would Repsol be interested in selling to China? This obviously did not just happen in 24 hours. Pretty cagey response by CFK with nationalization, for a variety of reasons. The sale of YPF to a chinese firm would be a huge political problem for CFK, so throw it to the congress to take the heat if it ends up Chinese.

KarlaBA said:
Seems like there are some leaks about the backroom deals that have been peculating for some time. Why would Repsol be interested in selling to China? This obviously did not just happen in 24 hours. Pretty cagey response by CFK with nationalization, for a variety of reasons. The sale of YPF to a chinese firm would be a huge political problem for CFK, so throw it to the congress to take the heat if it ends up Chinese.
If you are implying Argentina is not too interested in having China as a partner in YPF and this has been in the works for some time, then nationalization kind of makes sense. Coonc of China did make an offer for Pan American last year and the deal collapsed, no AR government approval. Plot thickens.

Well. After hearing Hilary Clinton speak, it's clear that Argentina has succeeded in isolating itself even more. Maybe Cuba, Venezuela, and Bolivia will help them out now.

Meanwhile, does anyone find great irony in Cristina's rants (YPF..yerba por favor) about how she won't STAND for the price of the YERBA to be so high and has threatened to import YERBA from other countries? This is the equivalent to someone ordering 7 fernet/coca's and then getting mad about becoming drunk.

KarlaBA said:
Yes, it is clear to me now that almost all the posts on this thread having nothing to do with whether or not YPF will perform better under state contol than it did under Repsol control. The posts are almost all about how a few of you expats hate the CFK gvmt basically because the gvmt isn't making decisions according to your US-centric view of how things ought to be done (and by that I mean that CFK isn't making BsAs into a Manhattan with tango and cheap steak and wine). Since you hate the CFK gvmt, then every decision the gvmt makes is interpreted by you as dilusional or childlike (exactly the same sentiment the anti-Obama right wing fanatics exhibit in the US). I'm sure the irony is lost on you.

Aw, we don't all worry about the same things you do, how mean! Look, the thread was about what's going to happen to this country. No one asked for definitive answers about the future, everyone gave their opinions. All you have done is argued against a strawman (your assumption that we were talking about YPF and how bad it was for YPF) in a condescending manner which is neither constructive nor relevant to the thread.

As for my US-centric views and whether CFK wants to turn BsAs into Manhattan or not, I don't know...I have never been to America, so I wouldn't know about Manhattan to begin with. So much for your personal references about me. I would suggest you stick to the topic being discussed at hand.

KarlaBA said:
Please stop about Aramco, you are embarrassing yourself with your ignorance. Saudi Arabia is doing vastly better now than it was 15 years ago. In case you don't remember, the country was deeply in debt 20 years ago and was considered a basket case. There has been massive development of industry, debt paid down, vast improvements in training programs for citizens, etc. over the past 15 years. All this in the in face of explosive population growth and basically an internal rebellion against the Saud family. Before you get all gushy about UAE, take a look at the size of the economies of KSA and UAE. to make an analogy, the UAE is to Monaco in size and relationship as KSA is to France.

Lol. Right. And you would know this because of your first hand experience in Saudi Arabia? By the way, the country was considered (and to some extent is still considered) a "basket case" throughout its existence, that is a fact. It is also a fact that Aramco's takeover left a sour taste for potential and present investors, leaving most international investment at bay. That is why Saudi Arabia is trying to attract foreign investment any chance they get.

Last time Saudi Arabia did great was during the oil boom of the 70s, and Saudi Arabia has amassed wealth again in the last 8 years (oil prices started rising again because of the cartel that is OPEC the end of 2003). That is all fine and dandy but I specifically mentioned the unemployment problem, f**ked up infrastructure and reduced foreign investment, issues you completely overlooked. But I guess we all have our own ways of looking at things.

The funniest one was when you mentioned "internal rebellion". I don't know what specifically you're referring to. The eastern Shiite rebellion that they have been dealing with for years or the joke that the authorities in Saudi Arabia had to deal with during the so-called "Arab Spring". If its the former, it reached its height in 1979 when the seige of the Grand Mosque (where the Kaaba is) was blamed on Iran and the Shiite minority of Saudi Arabia. And the latter never panned out because eventually only 50 people showed up to protest, and they were rounded up by the police very discreetly and peacefully. As for terrorism, that has never been a major problem in Saudi Arabia's economic, and oil centers. And they have been dealing with it in different forms for a very long time, thanks partly to Osama bin Laden and more importantly to the Mutawwas of Saudi Arabia who have always been against the Saud family.

KarlaBA said:
Yes, it only takes 10 years to turn around a bankrupt country with 50% poverty, in which all the commanding heights of the economy have been swindled off to private investors. Surely you can't truly believe what you wrote. Think of the least encumbered gvmts in the world (Singapore comes to mind), and they can't even make the changes you are asking for in 10 years. Are things really the same in Argentina as they were in 2002? Come on, for 95% of the population, things are vastly better. And remember all this was done without credit; no gvmt borrowing and no private borrowing. That is very impressive to be honest. Even Brasil can't make this claim.

I guess you have a way of misinterpreting and misreading things even when you quote it in your post. But anyway, what I said was that they would be constantly getting better. Or at least trying to. Not crawl back into the hole they came out of. Now, that in no way implies that the economy should have been completely turned around. If that is what it means in your world, I am glad I don't live there. And you said, even governments like Singapore's can't make the changes that I am asking in 10 years, what changes would those be exactly? Because I can't remember asking for anything specific. However, I would love to hear your assumptions on what I am thinking. :rolleyes:

nicoenarg said:
Look, the thread was about what's going to happen to this country. No one asked for definitive answers about the future, everyone gave their opinions. All you have done is argued against a strawman (your assumption that we were talking about YPF and how bad it was for YPF) in a condescending manner which is neither constructive nor relevant to the thread. However, I would love to hear your assumptions on what I am thinking.
Sorry, didn't realize that the thread was about your musings on the direction of the country, whatever that might mean. I guess i was thrown by the fact that the title of the thread was "YPF Nationalized" and that almost every other thread in this forum is about 'the direction of the country' as viewed from the eyes of a group of people who spend their entire days on this forum and have little understanding of the world outside of that. Stupid me for thinking that this particular thread would be about something slightly different. I guess it is my fault for intruding into your little world of Argentina loathing therapy.

As for my assumptions on what you are thinking, given what you have written on this forum I can only assume that you don't.

P.S. You don't have a clue what a strawman argument even is.

Back