$1 Million Usd To Spend In Bsas - How Long Can It Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure there are more interesting things you could be doing with your spare time like coordinating a cheese and wine tasting somewhere or (god forbid) a coffee meet up. (big yawn)

Whoa-hoa-hoa-hoa there, pops, some of us who schedule these meetups are well below your age, according to the post Steveinbsas referenced. I was actually going to respond with a serious and relevant comment, but now, maybe I'll just wait for you to show up at (big yawn) coffee chat instead. Buena suerte, viejo

Hi,

Thank you Ceviche for taking the time to ask that question. My hobbies and interests are the following in no particular order:

1. Music - composing and listening (mainly Jazz, Bossa Nova and Electronica)
2. Contemporrary Art
3. Real estate investment
4. Polo and showjumping
5. Dining out (no restaurants with excessive expat colonies)
6. Buddhist practice
7. Nature

Buenos Aires is full of "jobless" musicians ( including fellow Americans). So you can find lot of company here with them and compose music with them. There are lot of concerts happening. One of the senior posters regularly posts concert schedules in one of the threads.

2. Contemporrary Art

There is lot of high quality Art to be seen/bought in BA. But there are also lot of "jobless" artists in BA whose art never sells. You may collaborate with them or venture on your own to display one of your works in the exhibitions here. Since you have 5000 to spend every month - maybe if you bribe the gallery - they will allow you to display your work right in the front? Money talks!

Last year was the best time for real estate development and perhaps now. Soon, the real estate prices will go up as our beloved new president brings in the right monetary policies driving in trade/investment/tourism. But I would rather hold onto 1 million usd than invest in a volatile market like BA considering you already own a apartment here.

4. Polo and showjumping

BA is the Polo city. November is the Polo month. Polo players love to wine /dine with beautiful women. If you get to the Polo events and flash yr millions..maybe you will get introduced to some Polo players and then you can wine and dine them and try to move into their "inner " circle. BA is also a great place to learn horseriding or Polo. I am not sure what is showjumping.

BA is full of mid and high end restaurants. A good meal for 2 people in a high end restaurant can easily cost 120 ~150 usd with a 3-4 course meals and fine wine of the highest order. But if you are eating in mid/low and high end in a balance,...you could eat out daily and still be within the 5000 usd a month budget.

6. Buddhist practice

I have not seen much of that here in BA. But I am sure if you look for it. You will find it. There are Hindu temples and mosques in BA..so am sure you will find a budhist practice place too.

7. Nature

Argentina is full of nature. You could plan impromptu trips with some beautiful ladies and check out Iguazu or Bariloche or Ushuaia or some places near BA. try not to drive your Ferrari out of BA as it may attract lot of attention. Considering money is not a issue..consider buying plane tickets

"All hat, no cattle."
Texas Exp<b></b>ression

(applies to almost all blowhards trying to be impressive, even of they aren't wearing a hat)
emo32.gif

Dammit, Steve, you beat me to it!

Cool things to do for millionaires here include: counting your money (this will take a while since the highest local bill is only worth USD 6.25), outrunning motochorros (like parkour, only with more at stake) and building a panic room in your apartment.

PS: please could the usual old boring BA expats (generally males and exUSA) refrain from giving me their boring unsolicited opinions. I am not interested to hear the recommendations of old retired Americans. If you happen to be one of those please don't waste your time with a reply.

I would rather hear from younger Argentineans/Americans/Europeans who have a more open mind and less dogmatic view on expat life in Argentina.

I would like to know what actually constitutes a "dogmatic view on (of) expat life in Argentina" that "old retired Americans" apparently have (at least in your opinion).

If I am "dogmatic" about anything about expat life in Argentina, it is that other expats (real or wannabe) shouldn't pretend to be anything they aren't.

PS: I wasn't "retired" when I moved to Argentina and still don't use that term to describe myself.

American? Yes, and always will be (whether I live in North or South America).

Old? Yes, since I became an expat in Mexico at the age of 50.
emo32.gif

Hi,

Thank you Ceviche for taking the time to ask that question. My hobbies and interests are the following in no particular order:

2. Contemporrary Art
4. Polo and showjumping
6. Buddhist practice
7. Nature

If you prioritise differently, then you could put "6" first, which would include "7" and the rest would not matter. One million would last forever as you would spend less than interest will pay you, even at historic lows.

If you really want stuff, check this:

"Historically, Buddhist monks were allowed to own only 8 possessions: their robe (3 pieces of fabric), a begging bowl, girdle, water-filter, a needle to repair their robe, and a razor to shave their head. Today’s monk is often allowed a few more items like a pen or watch, but is still expected to go without the comforts and convenience we’re used to."

Should leave you with over $999k if you shop wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back