14 Food Reasons Argentines Are Better At Life

Living here for nearly 8 years, I often hope I can find a really good place to eat something different.

My place, when I'll get one.

For now you could try this one in Belgrano: https://www.facebook.com/MauroitRistorantinoItaliano
I have never been there yet, but this guy used to run a nice place in the town where I grew up in Italy. He married an Argentinian and moved there 5-8 yrs ago. I don't personally know him, I got to know about his BsAs venture because a friend in Italy mentioned him when I told I was moving to Buenos Aires as well.
He should be making paniscia and risotto, which are typical northern dishes and not so commonly known outside Italy (maybe the risotto is, you tell me).

I don't know what has happened to all the people of Italian descent. They have just lost the knack -- part of it is poor quality ingredients but part is lack of skill.

I am in awe. Are you my alter ego?

They served me this: I still have to recover. It was called pizza milanesa o milanesa de pizza - I can't remember that nonsense. It is a milanesa as big as a pizza, but the meat is 2 mm thin (this leaves you with 4 mm of fried bread crunch). Seriously?!

zjh4j9.jpg

I know, don't have milanesa unless someone who knows tells you it's OK. They call anything they put marinara sauce and cheese on a la pizza or some crap.

Ugh, it is not Italian food, it is not Spanish or Japanese or Chinese, it is Arg Italian, Arg Spanish, Arg Japanese and Arg Chinese. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Just like Italian American, tex Mex, etc. I bet if most Americans tried the real deal they would find it very different to their taste, and that is fine, but Args do not cook Italian, very few do.

I know, don't have milanesa unless someone who knows tells you it's OK. They call anything they put marinara sauce and cheese on a la pizza or some crap.

I don't eat milanesa under any circumstances - literalmente, ni muriendo de hambre.

I don't eat milanesa under any circumstances - literalmente, ni muriendo de hambre.

Unfortunately I am staying as a guest in a home where they absolutely crave for this food, and even think it's genuine and healthy. I have had milanesa, milanesa de soya, milanesa made of fish, that milanesa pizza I posted earlier.... I don't order my food and after a week I watched fruit at the supermarket just like the way I watched red meat in Italy. They have amazing fruit and veggies on display here, I can't yet figure out who buy them.

I should be getting a place in a couple of week and I think i will go veg. Seriously.

Unfortunately I am staying as a guest in a home where they absolutely crave for this food, and even think it's genuine and healthy. I have had milanesa, milanesa de soya, milanesa made of fish, that milanesa pizza I posted earlier.... I don't order my food and after a week I watched fruit at the supermarket just like the way I watched red meat in Italy. They have amazing fruit and veggies on display here, I can't yet figure out who buy them.

I should be getting a place in a couple of week and I think i will go veg. Seriously.

My Argentine family knows I don't eat it, and they're OK with that.

My biggest frustration is the lack of consistency. You can order the exact same thing from the exact same place the very next day and end up with a completely different version of the same thing (both in quality and preparation).
BANG!!!!! You just nailed it for Argentina in general. Lack of consistency.

Back