14 Food Reasons Argentines Are Better At Life

The Japanese know how to make Milanesa - it's called Tonkatsu and I could eat one right now...or two or three....

As with Tempura - the Japanese know how to deep fry with a very thin bread coating - not the rock hard breading of a milanesa. And the worse thing is a Milanesa sandwich - heavily breaded deep fried chuck of meat in bread...

dsc_0678.jpg

vs

ROS0105.jpg

The Japanese know how to make Milanesa - it's called Tonkatsu and I could eat one right now...or two or three....

As with Tempura - the Japanese know how to deep fry with a very thin bread coating - not the rock hard breading of a milanesa. And the worse thing is a Milanesa sandwich - heavily breaded deep fried chuck of meat in bread...

dsc_0678.jpg

vs

ROS0105.jpg

That's not a fair comparison. You choose the milanesa sandwich with the greenest tomato ever VS the japanese thing with nice red tomatoes. Put both on an empty plate and it will look the same to most people.

Only an Argentine could look at those two pieces of meat (tomato notwithstanding) and say they are the same. And even after José specifically pointed out the difference in the breading!

And then Hadrian digs himself into an even deeper culinary hole by trying to compare the lead-laden empanada argentina to the heavenly gyoza. Quit while you're behind dude.

Only an Argentine could look at those two pieces of meat (tomato notwithstanding) and say they are the same. And even after José specifically pointed out the difference in the breading!

And then Hadrian digs himself into an even deeper culinary hole by trying to compare the lead-laden empanada argentina to the heavenly gyoza. Quit while you're behind dude.

Only an Argentine could label mllanesas as "food," but I'll speak up for the humble empanada, whose baked Argentine version generally has a light dough and is small enough to help people to limit their servings. Massive Chilean empanadas, by contrast, are more often fried caloric bombs.

Only an Argentine could label mllanesas as "food,"

If you ever happen to visit Italy and spot a cotoletta alla milanese, don't freak out. Argentina hasn't invaded Italy: it's the other way 'round.
And... yes, they sell also panini con la cotoletta, especially at the Autogrill (toll roads bar/restaurants).
apollo_313x262.jpg

cotoletta-milanese.jpg

The problem with some of our experiences with milanesa is that we get them after they've been sitting around for three hours and then put it into a doughy white bread sandwich. The making of a life long aversion to milanesa.

If you go into a quality restaurant and order a milanesa freshly made, it's good. Not tonkatsu, but good.

Any fried food that sits around for hours is going to be disgusting...

Any fried food that sits around for hours is going to be disgusting...

The one in picture #1 is not freshly made. Is frozen and then heated in an electric oven or microwave.
Besides, the panino con cotoletta is a typical picnic food, so it should be prepared hours in advance.
(while the cotoletta alla milanese is a dish)

I am a fan of the wiener schnitzel, although I still have to master that. My grandma made it with a crispy crust that lifted itself during cooking, so that outside it was crispy and not soaked in butter, and inside there was this soft lining of flour that was just delicious.

Anyway the cotoletta alla milanese/milanesa is done with eggs and bread crumbs, only, and in a single pass (as opposite to the wiener schnitzel, which may allow for 2 passes). The size of bread crumbs give it a different crispy-ness, being the French bread crumbs the smallest and finer, the Italian/Austrian are a little bigger (like grains of salt) or you can go the another way and replace the bread with another cereal which is fluffier.

I am not sure if the Japanese tempura is done with bread, the ones I ate were always with a simple dough (eggs+flour) and without bread (although the one in the picture Joe posted is definitely made with bread).

Being able to fry is not as simple as it looks. The correct oil/butter/lard temperature is extremely important. If a food is correctly fried, it won't be soaked and it will be lighter to digest (compatibly with being fried, of course). I still fail at this :mellow:

The Japanese bread crumbs "panko" are coarser than French or Italian bread crumbs. How do Argentine bread crumbs compare?

panko-japanese-bread-crumbs.jpg

Back