7 Years In Buenos Aires, C.f. Here Now 45 Years Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for going on about some of my own beliefs in a situation like this, but to me, this is an example of a microcosm of a governmental situation. Imagine if I were tell all of you that I am going to come by and take money from you at gunpoint in order to help these people. The only people that would be happy would be the recipients and those who wanted to help anyway. The rest would feel robbed at best probably. Those of you who believe in social contracts (something which, BTW, I've never signed even while being required to fulfill the terms!) that require everyone pay to help the unfortunate are, indeed, supporting many of the same people you are thinking that Michael and his wife are. No, I'm not saying even the majority of unfortunate people are fooling people for profit or help, but there are enough to annoy me with the whole system. I know people in the States who are much better off, and with apparently better ability to work, than Michael (taking his statements at face value) who receive food stamps and other welfare money that I simply do not agree with - but if I'm going to be legal I have to pay taxes and either like it or lump it.

To me, this situation is a primary example of where people should make their own choices to help or not to help, with each person's conscience clean according to their way of looking at the world and I don't think at all badly of anyone here who doesn't feel comfortable helping in this situation.

I respect and understand each person's thoughts on this. Michael has his own story. Perhaps he could have managed things better Perhaps he could have communicated better. But I suspect many would still have suspicions no matter how he communicated, and with good reason.

As far as judging based on the way he writes - I know many, many smart,and/or wealthy people who can't communicate worth a crap. I know a guy who is as rich as Crassus, who earned his money over his lifetime himself, who has a horrible time putting together two sentences that make any sense. In fact, he has been on the rampage against the Mormon Church for decades and he sends a prodigious amount of emails to lawyers, judges and political folk decrying how they've harmed him with their ways. It's terrible trying to understand what he's even going on about. But he's actually a great, warm-hearted, honest guy. You wouldn't know it from how he communicates with the written word, however.

I know other people who can communicate just fine but are not people worth knowing. I know people who believe that many people in positions of power throughout the world (George Bush, Jr is one, according to many of them) are sentient lizards from another world disguised as humans (I'm serious, not being at all facetious). These people have both idiots and smart people among them, nice people and horrible people as well - they just don't see the world the way I do. And just because the majority of the world believes in a supreme being in one form or another that few have even claimed to see - well, is sanity measured by the beliefs of the majority or by the implausibility of those beliefs? Seems to me it's all relative and cumulative on an individual basis. Many people think I'm absolutely bonkers for not believing in any form. Hell, many people here on the forum think I'm nuts because I'm a Libertarian.

When I spoke to Michael on the phone I let him know that his posts were a part of the issue as to why people don't trust him, obviously mixed in with other things such as experiences that we've all had throughout our lives. I wouldn't ask that anyone else do anything that is against their own beliefs or feelings - I can understand why people would be be suspicious of Michael, and I, personally, don't even know for sure if he's trying to scam us or not. I don't think so, but I have never met the guy in person, much less have been able to know him long enough to know what kind of person he is.

The fact is, there are enough people in this world that will rise to the occasion when needed. I know there are times when I have not, and others have helped. There are times when I will and others won't. But isn't it nice to have the choice of who we feel comfortable helping without dire consequences if we don't "do our part"?

BTW - Michael did offer to me to work in exchange for help, during our phone conversation. I don't know what he can do, or how much he can do, given his declared disability, but he made the offer. That counts quite a bit to me. Maybe it was part of a scam, but that remains to be seen.

Another thing - just because someone makes some poor decisions in their life (and we don't know enough about how or why Michael came to be here, apart from him declaring to me that he came here to be with the love of his life, in a time when inflation wasn't anything like it is now and many people thought that $1000 USD would be enough to live reasonably well - and who hasn't done something stupid for love?) doesn't mean they don't deserve help as well. Just because others can live without many of the conveniences most of us are used to doesn't mean that they should.

If I had my way, I'd help everyone I could to avoid living in poor conditions - well, my wife and I already do with a large number of Paraguayan immigrants, some of whom have screwed us but many of whom have left their shitty hovels for something better. In Michael's case, supposedly, he is living in a partially burned-out apartment and simply doesn't have the means to correct that issue and feed himself and his wife at the same time. Those who live here on 13K a month often have family members to help them out, loan them money when they have a disaster, help with the repairs, and so on. Michael turned to the expat community, which should be a family of sorts. If he's a scammer, I'll be among the first to cry foul and warn everyone away.

But many of us are one step away from disaster in our lives. Maybe some don't deserve help, certainly some do. It's up to each of us to make those decisions who to help and how much to help.

Well, I've written long enough - now I have to return to repairing my own fire mess. Thank whatever-power-that-be (or pure luck, as the case may be) that I can afford the repairs even without insurance (some help that was!) and that I am whole of body in order to complete it :)

Amigo Yes the Fire was real and i did not come To Expats To Get free money I was born in Boston Usa And live in a bad Barrio in Capital federal for 7 years! if our situation happenned to you So overwhelming You Would post Much differently(Ok I am Bieng Cynical now 5 Years If you are disabled FROM THE USA AND They Give me less tan all The argentines Around Me?? You made me Laugh though because some Very Nice caring Real Ba Expats have telephoned me Personally and we spoke like gentleman 2 men no names and they have helped a Little Ty for your kind Post You wanna chat a Little friend They had The Courage and care to call me my number while i still have a pone is in capital federal paternal Barrio it is 4588 0803 my real name i have some courage to be honest is Michael Stanly Smith thank you sir (Juevos) My t2 new VETERAN BA expat Friends care and have Juevos!!!!! :)

You sould ELQueso is n honest caring human bieng and people can insult accuse me of everyting he is a true caring human bieng!!! and all he wrote is true!!!! he is my frind even if he did not help he called me would you???

I've had trouble following this entire story. I'm sure that these people are not prisoners of Argentina and can leave if they choose to do so!

I've had trouble following this entire story. I'm sure that these people are not prisoners of Argentina and can leave if they choose to do so!
But not if it's convenient not to leave at this particular juncture.

El Queso -

I have no problems with what you say about me and - a couple of years ago, even - my participation in this thread would have been very different.

Despite my comments, I offered my time to go and check if the situation was legit (via private message last night with someone else in this conversation, who mentioned that a couple of people might go). I made it clear that I would not be contributing financially, and why (partly, I don't have the money! I don't even get my own meds for recurring cancer and autoimmune disease here, so I need to save up for that. Which I do by cleaning toilets and living on less than these people do after bills etc per month most of the time, and it's not a guaranteed income but there are many, many unexpected expenses. For YEARS, I put others first in many situations and accordingly went without the medical care I need, including even basic tests to regulate dosages (private is the only option, I have no insurance - which wouldn't help much anyway - and the meds are from abroad. I haven't been able to afford to leave even for a night for eight years now).

In addition to offering my time - which I value but actually do have a bit of - I made the practical suggestion that they go to Defensa al Consumidor, who should be able to help or make suggestions (as long as they have some kind of documentation in writing from the landlord, a contract, receipt, whatever). I found it baffling that they took the approach of fundraising + ranting rather than asking which legal resources - for example - might be available to them. I myself have asked a question of that nature on here and had a great response.

These two things that I offered might lead to 1) him getting donations from others once they know it's legit (no idea the status of the expedition at this point) and 2) getting a resolution to his problem. I feel that these might help him more than pretty words.

Yes, I've become a bit of a bitch since my own experience of trying to help the Alabaman, sorry about that. I'll definitely own it. Maybe one day I'll find the middle path, but I'm still living the aftermath of that - she even still harasses me and other clients of mine - so today is not that day.

Bradly Could you Resend i checked the message Box here And just 1 message Welcome to BA expats!

El Queso:

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]As far as judging based on the way he writes - I know many, many smart,and/or wealthy people who can't communicate worth a crap... [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I know other people who can communicate just fine but are not people worth knowing. etc etc"

I think I've made it clear in two separate comments already that while the grammar was a bit off, I believed he could be from the US (not Nigerian), and that I was not even talking about grammar - or possible issues related to dyslexia etc - as being the main issue. For me, what sent up every single color of flag + set all alarm bells ringing at once was this:

"
[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The Loco HOMBRE EX GUARD CIA? FOR EX President MENEM SPECIAL TREATMENT FOR A ARSONIST WITH CHRISTINA AS PRESIDENT HE IS IN A MENTAL UNIT SOMEWHERE!!!"
___________________[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Michael did offer to me to work in exchange for help, during our phone conversation. I don't know what he can do, or how much he can do, given his declared disability, but he made the offer. That counts quite a bit to me."

Firstly, it seems that they are just fine at social media, for example (maybe Polina could proofread and edit). People earn money via PayPal doing that. Secondly, I'm glad he made the offer, but I cannot fathom - as I cannot imagine doing such a thing and have been in very dire straits at times (a now-repaid loan got me out of my own scrape, which is actually a small part of a much bigger mess), with very serious health issues as well - why this offer was not made front and center? I guess it will remain "The Secret".

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]If I had my way, I'd help everyone I could to avoid living in poor conditions - well, my wife and I already do with a large number of Paraguayan immigrants, some of whom have screwed us but many of whom have left their shitty hovels for something better."

I have explained my own family background many times and it is similar.

"In Michael's case, supposedly, he is living in a partially burned-out apartment and simply doesn't have the means to correct that issue and feed himself and his wife at the same time."

Been in a very similar boat now for a years with a terrible mold problem that has really made my autoimmune condition worse and may lead to a recurrence of cancer. Can vouch it sucks.

"Those who live here on 13K a month often have family members to help them out, loan them money when they have a disaster, help with the repairs, and so on."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Some of them do, I've heard! Most of them also seem to make shopping and leisure trips at least annually, have health insurance etc. Must be nice. Most of my friends here who are from other countries are from poorer countries, have lived in villas, work at laundries etc. While I am originally from the world you speak of, this is my current world and I feel comfortable in it, and in many others besides. Would love to travel and see my friends and meet their husbands/ kids etc and a little material comfort but keep working and figure my day will come.

"Michael turned to the expat community, which should be a family of sorts. If he's a scammer, I'll be among the first to cry foul and warn everyone away."
[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Totally agree! That's why I offered to help that other person and try to offer suggestions on here - usually staying out of these conversations, which is an approach I think I will return to after this. Once again: it was the style. They are not the first expats I've seen with marketable skills to ask for money rather than offering to work for it, or maybe even a loan. I can't get my head around it.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]But many of us are one step away from disaster in our lives. Maybe some don't deserve help, certainly some do. It's up to each of us to make those decisions who to help and how much to help."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Very true! Some of us even a bit closer at times. I've offered to help in two concrete ways, which I refer to in my other post which is now in moderation. I've been a bit of a bitch here and won't give them cash, true! I don't have it to give right now to this cause, sorry.

I know you love words, but as they say talk - both flattering and unflattering - is cheap. I've offered as much help as I am able to provide at this time. My time, and a suggestion of where he might get help. Maybe some ideas as to how to live on such a paltry monthly sum, even. Recipes. Got lots of those![/background]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back