70 Usd For Taxi From Ezeiza?

A general question, has anyone here used on line booking to reserve a taxi from the airport to say Palermo? If yes, have you been offered any discount, and also how far in advance have you made the booking?

As a footnote just thought I'd say that this site is wonderful for practical information on the how, who and what of BA, thanks :)

When I flew in and out 2x per month I would use MTL when travelling light and a remis when travelling with lots of bags. Never had a problem before with MTL. They used to be cheaper than the taxis. This now has me questioning.

I would call back and let the person there know you'll be sharing your experience with everyone :)
Tell the boss of MTL, not some jerk who may get a percentage of the individual take.

Thanks, but the guy who ripped my guests off has my address. I don't want any broken windows so I think I'll just warn all future guests to ask for receipts...

I've arranged transportation between Ezeiza and the city for years for tango visitors. I know that I can rely on a friend in Avellaneda to be there ontime for the flight and deliver them safely to their lodging without incident. He is retired and works for a remis agency. One year ago Osvaldo charged 150 pesos. I spoke with him last night and asked what he charges now -- 200 pesos. On occasion, he picks me up first in Balvanera so I can welcome a tango visitor in person at Ezeiza if they don't know the language and need help withdrawing or exchanging money at the airport bank.

I have always warned visitors not to take a taxi with anyone who approaches them at the airport. This is done, but not safe. Ezeiza is the first ripoff point for tourism to Argentina. They get you when you're jetlagged and unable to make rational decisions. The cell phone rental booth at the airport is an even bigger scam operation. Calls for a dollar per minute?

Three years ago some visitors were charged 250AP by the Marriott Plaza Hotel for a full-size luxury car to Ezeiza. The hotel takes its commission for arranging five-star transportation for its guests. If you can afford to stay at a five-star hotel, you don't care what they charge for a car to Ezeiza.

A few words about Ezeiza:

One of my guests (who decided to make her own way from Ezeiza - I usually book with Taxi Ezeiza for guests) recently took a taxi from Ezeiza, one of the hustler taxi guys in the arrivals hall not affiliated with any stand or company. He took her out into the middle of nowhere, outside of Capital, and demanded all her money and wanted to take her to an ATM. She had $200 USD on her and gave that to him. He then drove her into town and dropped her off in the middle of the Microcentro at 10pm, nowhere near her destination. DO NOT RISK IT.

In my experience, Taxi Ezeiza are the best of a bad bunch for overseas visitors who want to book in advance. The people in the office are often rude and incompetent, but at least it seems like a safe option. I have been told that the guy who takes people from their stand to the car holds out his hand and says "tip" in English, which is obviously inappropriate, but I suppose one isn't obligated to give him a tip.

Another option, if you live here and have a local cell phone, is to call RadioTaxi Premium - there are often drivers waiting in the parking lot for a return fare into the city. I did that once, and it was easy - they send you a confirmation text with the driver's car number and license plate information so you know it's the same car you called for. I waited perhaps five minutes, and I believe he charged me less than Taxi Ezeiza would have - I don't remember.

On another note, another guest changed money at the Banco de La Nacíon in Ezeiza arrivals and was given 300 pesos in fake bills. Just enough (I'm sure the thief thought) for it to not be worth their while to take a taxi back and complain. I contacted the airport police and then drafted a letter in Spanish explaining what had happened (with dates, times etc) for them to give to the airport police on their way out of the country.

Sounds like they left the main terminal entrance without checking in at one of the taxi queues. Probably some lone cab driver looking to easily bilk a tourist.

I've never had any problems using the taxi stand and getting the official invoice that states how much the ride will be.

Sounds like they left the main terminal entrance without checking in at one of the taxi queues. Probably some lone cab driver looking to easily bilk a tourist.

I've never had any problems using the taxi stand and getting the official invoice that states how much the ride will be.

Yep, hence "one of the hustler taxi guys in the arrivals hall not affiliated with any stand or company" and the warning that it's not worth the risk.

I work with tourists and have to book an airport taxi or two a week, at a minimum - Taxi Ezeiza do tend to either forget to cancel bookings or forget to put the person's name up on their stand. As many tourists prefer to have a taxi waiting with their name on it, rather than just going up to the stand when they arrive, it's an issue. The women I've dealt with in their office have been typically rude and condescending, even when they are in the wrong. I have lived here for the best part of a decade and look local (my mom is from here), so while I do not have most of the typical 'tourist' problems myself, I can see where others might have problems and try to help them to avoid them as much as I can.

Just Saturday, I witnessed an American (not naming names, but probably a regular on this forum) offering to buy dollars for the 'wholesale rate' of 4.80/ USD from some tourists - presenting it to them as a good deal as compared to the official rate. I have no doubt that he then sold them at the blue rate for a profit, even though he claimed that he needed them for an upcoming trip to the US. This kind of thing makes my blood boil - I don't know how some people can look at themselves in the mirror!

homeinbuenosaires - where did you see the person buying dollars? At the airport?

I had great experiences with Taxi EZE and have always recommended them. 2x I left something in the cab and both times, I called them right away and they returned it later that day (I gave both drivers a reward of course!) 1 was a brand new netbook that had slipped out of the suitcase and the other was my cellphone so not inexpensive items either.

I do always make sure to tell people to always take Taxi EZE or arrange a remise (I've always used MTL but will confirm prices next time I use them!)

Back