8.3 Earthquake in Chile - Felt Here

I was awake when it happened and I didn't feel a thing, but then I live on a 2nd floor.
My internet went down because fibertel routes a lof of its traffic through links in Chile and the earthquake either broke a fiber link or there's no electricity to power the link.

esllou said:
wrong. There are on average 18 7.0+ earthquakes per year...that's 1.5 per month. We're now in the third month so you'd expect anywhere between 3-5 so far. And there have been four.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

smack bang on the line of statistical probability. For this to have been outside the range of standard probability variations, we would have to be on about 7-8 by now. We're not.

so I ask again, why do people think there have been more?

1-1.5 7.0+ quakes per month on the average...we agree on that.

However,I stand by my original,pre-spun statement,which was 3 major quakes in one month time is not normal.That is double the typical amount.Further 2 of them devastated populous areas,again abnormal..
If you want to equate that to being "smack bang on the line of statistical probability" then I agree to disagree with you.

well, we can agree that you understand little to nothing about statistics. 2010 is on course for being a perfectly normal year. But it doesn't fit into whatever bizarre "theory" you have so you choose to ignore that. I can now choose to ignore this thread.

esllou said:
well, we can agree that you understand little to nothing about statistics. 2010 is on course for being a perfectly normal year. But it doesn't fit into whatever bizarre "theory" you have so you choose to ignore that. I can now choose to ignore this thread.

I know stats just fine..I said "month",and NOWHERE did I ever mention any "theory"conspiracy or otherwise.You chose to spin it to a year and put words in my mouth...we can agree that you cannot comprehend written word and cannot accept your mistake,so I will choose to ignore the ignorant.
Have a nice day

This thread took some truly bizarre turns.

1) Comparing less than 1,000 deaths to over 200,000. :confused:

2) Conspiracy theories over earthquakes. :confused:

3) Castigating someone who regrets not being able to share a traumatic experience with others. This feeling is extremely common.

-I encountered often living in LA while there or while outside of the city.
-I've heard or felt the same regarding Thunderstorms/Tornados in Texas and/or Hurricanes all along the Gulf Coast.

It's sad that so many people were effected (or is it "affected"?) by this earth quake. Strangely enough, I think that is about the only thing that everyone can agree on.

earthquakes until March 1st, 2009 and 2010.

Fact: 2010 is less earthquake active so far than 2009 was.

I don't seem to remember all "the sky is falling down" chicken little threads last year. Odd.

1. 2009/01/03 - 7.7 - Near the North Coast of Papua, Indonesia
2. 2009/01/03 - 7.4 - Near the North Coast of Papua, Indonesia
3. 2009/01/15 - 7.4 - East of Kuril Islands
4. 2009/02/11 - 7.2 - Kepulauan Talaud, Indonesia
5. 2009/02/18 - 7.0 - Kermadec Islands region

1. 2010/01/03 - 7.1 - Solomon Islands
2. 2010/01/12 - 7.0 - Haiti region
3. 2010/02/26 - 7.0 - Ryukyu Islands, Japan
4. 2010/02/27 - 8.8 - Offshore Maule, Chile

BKK to BA said:
I know stats just fine..I said "month",and NOWHERE did I ever mention any "theory"conspiracy or otherwise.You chose to spin it to a year and put words in my mouth...we can agree that you cannot comprehend written word and cannot accept your mistake,so I will choose to ignore the ignorant.
Have a nice day

it is this quote that proves you know absolutely nothing about statistics. "Spin it" to a year?? Shall we just look at the february 27th and say this year was 314 times more active than a normal February 27th? Bizarre. When you look at trends and probability, you ALWAYS take the long view, otherwise your stats are going to be skewed - and the result is that you come onto public forums and start saying things like "there have been loads of earthquakes in 2010 - far more than normal" when it's patently untrue.

please read this before posting anymore on this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

esllou said:
it is this quote that proves you know absolutely nothing about statistics. "Spin it" to a year?? Shall we just look at the february 27th and say this year was 314 times more active than a normal February 27th? Bizarre. When you look at trends and probability, you ALWAYS take the long view, otherwise your stats are going to be skewed.

please read this before posting anymore on this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Not only can you not comprehend written word,but you also type things"I choose to ignore this thread" that you do not mean...Do you have a link to refute that as well..

gonna call me Hitler now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

See I can dig up nifty links too

Ellsou do you work for the CIA or are you so ignorant to see that most people share a different view to your right wing dictatorial attitude that you take to everyone who dares have a different opinion to you. I am sure that you would lock us all up and throw away the key because we still have free minds and for those who support you this is a great threat and your narrow minded vision of the world.

Your own claim to fame is screaming loud and using skewed statistics . There is a great saying damn lies and statistics and that is so true of who you are...

well done, 100% of your response ignored what you began talking about. Those facts sure hurt, don't they?

Back