8.9 Quake & Tsunami in JApan.

ghost said:
Yes Perry it is.
If you study geology you will find many such cycles and many which were far more dramatic than we are seeing today. The main factor in the "disaster" equation is that the human population has multiplied dramatically and is busy building infrastructure on fault lines and flood plains.
Remove the swarm of humanity from the equation and you really don't have a disaster. Just nature at work.

Can you show up your proof of these cycles in a short time frame? Please present the facts and events in a similar period .

It's because of the supermoon...the papers warned something like this might happen last week.

Just as feared 'White smoke' is coming out of the reactor after a very big explosion.
They have evacuated people in the 20km radius around the reactor.

What is worse, the Quake & tsunami or the potential Nuclear meltdown?

Not good.

EDIT: Update...The JApanese Gov has just announced that the radiation levels are not as high as they thought...people are being told to not go outside..& if they do get exposed the should wash & remove all contaminated clothing...they say if you stand outside the reactor right now that you would get a year's exposure of natural radiation. Cross fingers!

notebook.fix said:
Just as feared 'White smoke' is coming out of the reactor after a very big explosion.

Not good.

EDIT: Update...The JApanese Gov has just announced that the radiation levels are not as high as they thought...people are being told to not go outside..& if they do get exposed the should wash & remove all contaminated clothing...they say if you stand outside the reactor right now that you would get a year's exposure of natural radiation. Cross fingers!

Heard they were using raw sea water for cooling. Not good. I would be packing the old suitcase.

notebook.fix said:

The ability of the Japanese reactors to remain fail-safe through the shocks and tsunami which they were designed to survive is seen as a test case for the credibility of the nuclear power industry, and its future in solving world energy and ecological problems. Obviously the industry has now lost credibility with this explosion and radiation leak.

From the initial news reports on the status of the reactors, they had to get backup generators to run the coolant pumps in place and operating within several hours. Since it's easy to get large backup generators and move them using military transports, my guess is that the initial news reports were carrying misinformation about this being the real problem status.

perry said:
In just one year we have had Russian heat wave , Haiti earthquake, Chile earthquake, New Zealand earthquake, Australian historic floods, Pakistan Floods, and now the largest earthquake ever recorded in Japans history .

I looked for some data, and on the USGS I find "The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average."

So the USGS data is that there's a major quake expected statistically every year. Some years recently have had a lower incidence. If someone looked at a selection of years, they'd perceive an increase, or if they looked at a different selection of years they'd perceive a decrease.

Your experience is that there is a massive increase in these events. And that when you discuss it with people you meet they agree. That's good. No need to debate those facts further. What's next?

Hi Clooz, very interesting point you raise...I also noticed that Germany's Merkel is under some political pressure over their reactors now...

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20110312-33673.html
"In densely populated areas, it is perpetually playing with fire," he added.

"What we are witnessing in these dramatic hours is that even an automatic shut-off mechanism does not protect against a nuclear meltdown," said the organisation's spokesman, Jochen Stay.

Also...just read that now there's a second reactor with serious cooling problems...not meaning to alarm anyone but it has been noted that should the worst case scenario occur..those Japanese cores are many times bigger than Chernobyl's. 'If' the worst happened then it would turn into a serious world wide health hazard....

Edit: Update! Just heard on the news that they are now confirming that a "Partial meltdown May Have Occured" on a second reactor.

clooz said:
The ability of the Japanese reactors to remain fail-safe through the shocks and tsunami which they were designed to survive is seen as a test case for the credibility of the nuclear power industry, and its future in solving world energy and ecological problems. Obviously the industry has now lost credibility with this explosion and radiation leak.

From the initial news reports on the status of the reactors, they had to get backup generators to run the coolant pumps in place and operating within several hours. Since it's easy to get large backup generators and move them using military transports, my guess is that the initial news reports were carrying misinformation about this being the real problem status.

I have a special connection to Japan. It is so tragic what has happened.

I have been living in Buenos Aires with my Argentine family for over five years now. I would like to take this opportunity for anyone who is interested to invite them to my Buddhist temple here in barrio Flores. It is a good opportunity to learn more about everything that is happening in this world.

My heartfelt desire goes out to all people who have family and friends in Japan to be safe and protected from harm.

If anyone would like more information please email me:

[email protected]

Take care!

JulieW said:
...I would like to take this opportunity for anyone who is interested to invite them to my Buddhist temple here in barrio Flores.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I imagine the families in Japan now who are collecting their lives, living outside, keeping warm in the cold, starting to grieve and mend, becoming Buddhists again to prepare cremations. I'll think of your Buddhist temple again when the time comes to dance at O-Bon matsuri.

The epi-center of the quake is right by the Matsushima Islands. Basho's seasonless haiku invokes the emptiness

morning and evening
someone waits at Matsushima!
one-sided love

asa yosa o
tare matsushima zo
katagokoro

Here in Buenos Aires, the joyous dogs bring Buddha nature to everyday life. A puppy lives each moment as it comes, does not look back or forward, nor pine for things it missed. Have to smile at the Rinzai koan, "Does a dog have Buddha-nature or not?"

Back