8-N Protest - Ultra Right Wing Pot Bangers?

Calling them radicals, fanatics, ultra right wingers, fascists... these are all words meant to delegitimize the protesters.

It's shamefully disingenuous and does nothing except polarize people and create class warfare. The people on the streets aren't evil people. Close to 50% of the population didn't vote for or doesn't agree with Cristina... that doesn't make them golpistas. Since when is peaceful protests a bad thing? Whether you agree with them or not, these people just want a better country for themselves and their children. This is democracy; freedom of speech and the right to assemble stating their grievances.

I don't know if anything will come of it, but I'm glad to see the people at least speaking out. I think the country is at a crossroads and it's important for the people to let the president and legislature know that they do not support the changing of the constitution and do no agree with her running for a third term. I don't know how big of a threat that really is (Cristina herself has been rather ambiguous... saying what she wants doesn't matter), but now is the time to nip those plans before they come to fruition. Hopefully Cristina gets the message.

And if she has no plans for a third term, then why doesn't she just come out and say it and put these people's minds at ease? This re-re stuff shouldn't even be a concern and frankly it's frustrating to not get a straight answer.

Security and economics are probably lost causes at this point - at least under this administration. I expect no change there.

Edit to add that I like the festive atmosphere in the video above. :) Yea, sure looks like a bunch of golpistas... :p

Sure, it's the ultra right wing super rich in barrio La Boca :D

Cacerolazo en La Boca http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEpcL88AA4

[font="Arial""]Now, I know I don't live there, and I suppose this might get up certain people's noses, but I just want to point out that this form of protest is legitimate. Regardless of whether these people be from the left or right or anything in-between they have the right to protest. The same applies to Greece, Spain, UK, in fact anywhere where people have grievances. I would be the last person to support the politics of the right, but I support their right to protest. I don't see any guns, violence etc. so what's the problem! [/font]

[font="Arial""]Just to add I live in a country where the last decent protests took place over 9 years ago (we haven't had a good one since!), demanding that the Australian govt not participate in the war in Iraq. Over a million people participated in marches across the nation, at the time our then Dear Leader, John Howard, referred to us as a mob! Thankfully the mob gave him a taste of redundancy at the next opportunity. Perhaps Argentines will get lucky and have, at some point in the future, the same opportunity with CFK and her cadres. [/font]

[font="Arial""]On a lighter note, have any of you thought of going into the pots and pans business? ;) Could be a nice little earner :p I might look into it when
I'm there!
[/font]

CFK dismissing the protests reminds me of Romney's 47 percent comment. Fortunately for the Argentine people her arrogance, will make it hard for her to change the constitution to stay in power. If she were a better politician she could really, really be dangerous. Nestor would have never made these missteps.

I'm amazed by some of the comments here trying to portray the protesters as ultra right wing fascists.
We were there outside the quinta in Olivos for the duration and the anger and resentment was tangible.
What most people find abhorrent, is being treated like ignorant third class citizens. This was a march OF the people, FOR the people.
What this government is doing, is cooking up a recipe for serious social unrest, but consistently looking the other way.
Judging from the comments made by Anibal Fernandez today, in that he 'fails to understand the message the people are trying to send (sic)', they will continue to view the unrest as merely a sensation.
That should worry all of us.

Agreed,

A local Kirchnerite politician attempted to disparage anti Kirchnerite (authoritarianism) protests (duh)

I went to the Obelisco last night for several hours (Trying to pick up chicks, You know that they can cook if they have pots and pans!)

All I saw were 100's of thousands of families old and young and many children. I dare say there were more women than men as well. And not to shabby looking either...:)

All of the signs that I read spoke of Liberty, Corruption, insecurity, maintaing the constitution and maintaing the republic for rights for all.

End of discussion.

I've just read the BA Herald's so called 'report' on last night's events and to say it was written by a badly educated toddler, would be understating it.
And to think that the Herald actually asks you to PAY to subscribe to their rag.
Unbelievable!

Wish I could read all these posts before posting but I can't. I live in Palermo and I know a lot of people who took part. In fact, most that I know here were involved and tried to get me to go. I didn't. But they are quality people and I cannot see any "right-wing pro-dictatorship" characteristics in them. If all of Argentina wre like them there would be fewer problems I think. .

Reactions: Joe
Back