A Serious Thread About Food In Argentina

Amazing how the tone of this forum has changed. A few years ago any criticism of Argentina was aggressively shot down. It's refreshing to see an intelligent and fair minded discussion of this topic. I agree that there is a great variety of food available in the US. AVAILABLE. That is the key word. Just walk into any Whole Foods for example. You can easily find what you want. Not so in Argentina. If you want a varied, nutritious and interesting diet you are going against the grain. It takes a lot of time and effort to find the ingredients, if you can at all. For those who earn in pesos it is expensive as well. What has always amazed me is the widespread notion in Argentina that the food is "rico". When i returned from a long stay abroad a neighbor commented that now I could appreciate the delicious food in Argentina. I didn't want to argue so I just smiled. I guess if you don't travel internationally you don't know that there is something better or if you do and you can't afford good restaurants you leave with the idea that the US, for example, has nothing but McDonalds. On the whole there is a pretty provincial mentality in Argentina that is reflected in the food culture.
90% of americans cant afford whole foods
Lots of things here are awful,food is not
Provincial?75% of americans never had a passport

lol if you don't put spices and herbs in your food when cooking.
I put,bu not in the amount to overpower [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]tas[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]te.[/background].Lived in the middle east for more than 10 [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]years,I know abou[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t spiced foods.[/background]

I have,I value the taste of FOOD not from spices.

What ? No spices in foods? Even on a thick grilled fillet of any beef, you have to at least sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper for the meat to enhance some "Umami" in it, if you dig what I mean..?

When I complained of lack of green salad with the lunch, they all said, "vaca come verduras" nosotros comemos carne !
But no joking, the green veggie costs alot in SA countries so average low middle income family can not afford to mix green
veggies in their diet.
We ea[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t salads wi[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]th all [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]the meals a[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t home,we are no[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t rich[/background]

What ? No spices in foods? Even on a thick grilled fillet of any beef, you have to at least sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper for the meat to enhance some "Umami" in it, if you dig what I mean..?
For mea[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t,jus[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t sal[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t is needed,and chimichuri if [/background]you like,pepper is not needed,I want to taste the excelent meat we have here.

For mea[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t,jus[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t sal[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]t is needed,and chimichuri if [/background]you like,pepper is not needed,I want to taste the excelent meat we have here.
But your "chimichurri" has lot of herbs and spices in it, isn't it not?

I make my Chimichurri sauce adding these ingredients lifted from a pro chef's page:

I don't drink, so can't comment on on the wine or beer.
Street food: Queens is really hard to beat in terms of street food. For a little over US$2, I can buy an authentic street shawarma made by a true Pakistani that blows any Argentine choripan out of the water to the point that is not even fair.

Please seem to forget that although both Queens and Manhattan are part of NYC, they are in virtually different universes in terms of prices.
shawarma better than choripan? :D :D :D :D
BTW shawarma is middle eastern,not pakistani,not authentic at all your friendly vendor in queens,hahah
ButI agree,we dont have a street food culture here

Back