A Serious Thread About Food In Argentina

What's the weather like in Salta in the winter - thinking of going there next winter. I hate heat and humidity...

Salta: corner of Ibazeta and Caseros, Napolitana for 2: ARS $59. Includes soup, wine pinguïno and dessert.

how much penguin wine? two glasses? it'd be a good deal if they served some lamb or goat meat instead of pizza.
well yes Buenos Aires might be a ripoff but we are comparing the most popular/visited city of Argentina with the most popular or visited city in Colombia (I guess there are three but Cartagena always comes up 1st or 2nd, right?)

Matías: yes food is cheaper here.

Joe: weather in winter is more mild, but Salta Capital is very humid since it's a valley where all the moisture accumulates. You have to go up higher to get out of the humidity (eg Tilcara in Jujuy).

Matt: I was just responding to your question: "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] where outside Asia can you get a complete meal for two for less than 7 bucks?[/background]" I don't know for big cities/capitals. The Pinguïno is 1 litre: it's enough for me and the mila is enough for Mrs Rooney & Rooney Jr. with leftovers. Plus I get soup.

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] where outside Asia can you get a complete meal for two for less than 7 bucks?[/background]" I don't know for big cities/capitals. The Pinguïno is 1 litre: it's enough for me and the mila is enough for Mrs Rooney & Rooney Jr. with leftovers. Plus I get soup.

that's pretty fair. For some reason I thought of pizza when you said napolitana, my bad. and you didn't mention the soup! I suppose one litre is even enough to give Junior some.

True story: I always offer, but the only booze 3 yr old Jr has yet to accept is Jamesons.

Personally I can't fathom how anyone can stomach a milanesa without a hefty dose of alcohol, but somehow the missus and jr manage.

The only remotely interesting thing is the mango juice and the spicy stuff. After that, it looks typically colombian, i.e. boring.

I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. Someone requested photos, and I delivered. (Although I disagree--the flavors aren't what's boring to me, but eating pretty much the same thing day after day for lunch is). On another note, why do people change their user names? I've been a forum member for years, you have more than 2000 posts and yet I have no idea who you are.

Here is a photo of the type of meal you can get if you pay more and don't want traditional Colombian food. It's the restaurant Crepes y Waffles that I linked to earlier. It's a very successful national chain that is now found in other LatAm countries, and popular with everyone. They have great meal salads, soups, juices, coffees, teas and ice cream in addition to all the savory and sweet crepes and waffles. My dining partner got Mexican tortilla soup with chicken with a side caesar salad (the real kind). The presentation was nice, but dining partner started eating before I took the photo. I got the crepe caprino, a vegetarian crepe with mozzarella, tomato, sundried tomato, mushrooms, pesto, olive oil and a balsamic reduction topped with arugula. We're both drinking a limonada de coco. Total bill including optional service charge: COP$50,000. Service charge was COP$4,100. So a little over 20 bucks, currently.

2m819c7.jpg

Ha ha! well said..don't mind me.

I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. Someone requested photos, and I delivered. (Although I disagree--the flavors aren't what's boring to me, but eating pretty much the same thing day after day for lunch is). On another note, why do people change their user names? I've been a forum member for years, you have more than 2000 posts and yet I have no idea who you are.

Here is a photo of the type of meal you can get if you pay more and don't want traditional Colombian food. It's the restaurant Crepes y Waffles that I linked to earlier. It's a very successful national chain that is now found in other LatAm countries, and popular with everyone. They have great meal salads, soups, juices, coffees, teas and ice cream in addition to all the savory and sweet crepes and waffles. My dining partner got Mexican tortilla soup with chicken with a side caesar salad (the real kind). The presentation was nice, but dining partner started eating before I took the photo. I got the crepe caprino, a vegetarian crepe with mozzarella, tomato, sundried tomato, mushrooms, pesto, olive oil and a balsamic reduction topped with arugula. We're both drinking a limonada de coco. Total bill including optional service charge: COP$50,000. Service charge was COP$4,100. So a little over 20 bucks, currently.

2m819c7.jpg

I couldn't give a flying choripan that you and your cheerleader don't know who I am and certainly don't find it particularly interesting to know who you are.

All clear? I'm delighted you like taking photos of your lunch tho. Tis great to have a hobby.

Back