Advice for living in Microcentro

French jurist said:
I'm 45 km north of mini, and 645 north of you, but I'll gladly head towards the south to share a cocktail.

I bet you can drink where you are right now, but you're welcome here anytime.:)

(That is an invitation.):D

Oh shit, I just remembered, you are a lawyer.:eek:

OK, you can still come (just as long as you aren't licensed in Argentina and aren't trying to convert other expats from residency to citizenship).:p

I'm the only expat around here, anyway (I don't count Mormon missionaries, but they try to convert everyone).

perry said:
I have to agree with this poster for the lack of respect of personal space afforded to the stranger. I walk the streets often here and I find the etiquette on most avenues appalling and egotistical to say the least . Woman speaking loudly on cell phones while zig zagging through the footpath . Groups of people all at once just stopping on a footpath oblivious to all sundry behind who have to detour on the street to avoid the melee.

Welcome to BA... :) All I can say is take it easy...

I am finding the egotism of the inhabitants to have become much worse the last years and there seems to be no consciousness of the other.

I've lived here my entire life and I've never noticed any change in people's behavior. To me, it's always been the same rudeness and disregard for others. That's why I find expat comments interesting. As visitors, you are "less involved" in local life and notice subtleties we don't. Too bad you see it worsening... definitely not good news.

This is truly a Porteno thing and is not apparent in other cities or towns of Argentina

It's big city life. New York gave me the same impression while living in Boston.

i just booked a hotel room on avenida cordoba between esmeralda y suipacha..

BROOKLYN said:

That's a fine area to be in if you like being in the center center center. A stone's throw from 9 de Julio, theaters, Recoleta, calle Florida, all kinds of shopping, subte, you name it. Have fun!

MizzMarr said:
As to real life, well, I mean the way that people here just cruise on their path without ever making room for or appearing to think about anybody but themselves on their path. I have seen people run straight into each other and barely take notice. I have had to step out of the way of people ready to run me down in order not to get trampled . Out of frustration I have actually tried shoulder checking someone when standing my ground walking forward on the sidewalk (in case you don't know, that means literally bumping them hard with your shoulder) and the person who I bumped didn't notice or care! ...
The examples could go on and on. It's just very different culturally than what I'm used to, when someone who bumped into you might say "excuse me" or be legitimately sorry (or notice) if they knock something out of your hand, or burn your jacket with a cigarette. Maybe I'm just being uptight and need to work on my mellow "no pasa nada" attitude, but it's definitey something that frustrates me in BA (and I have talked at length with various foreigners about this, so I know I'm not making this phenomenon up! ;)).

snailspace said:
Thanks for posting this.
I started a thread yesterday about the popular elbows-out stance and no one seems to know what I'm taking about. I was recently in Uruguay and it was possible to spot who was an Argie by it. Is it really just a stance they take without thinking, or is there there some 'king of the dung heap' mentality?It's pretty predictable when having to go single-file through a passageway someone will come to a stop at a narrow point and fill the space with their elbows. Gives them a sense of power I guess.
I won't go on about this because so many people who've been here say they never notice it. Maybe it's just an insanity the two of us share, Mizz.

perry said:
I have to agree with this poster for the lack of respect of personal space afforded to the stranger. I walk the streets often here and I find the etiquette on most avenues appalling and egotistical to say the least .
I am finding the egotism of the inhabitants to have become much worse the last years and there seems to be no consciousness of the other.
This is truly a Porteno thing and is not apparent in other cities or towns of Argentina

Hache said:
I've lived here my entire life and I've never noticed any change in people's behavior. To me, it's always been the same rudeness and disregard for others. That's why I find expat comments interesting. As visitors, you are "less involved" in local life and notice subtleties we don't. Too bad you see it worsening... definitely not good news.
It's big city life. New York gave me the same impression while living in Boston.

It has been a long time since I read Dostoyevsky's Notes From The Underground, but I recall the fascinating passages about a poor civil servant obsessing over his plan to intentionally bump into his nemesis on a narrow sidewalk. He did and was flabberghasted when he was ignored.
So, no, Snailspace, it is not an insanity just shared by you and MizzMarr. It was also a preoccupation of Dostoyevsky in St Petersberg and I would venture to guess many others.

I have often observed this lack of pedestrian consideration in Rio as well as Buenos Aires where it is much more pronounced than in other cities in Europe or the US in which I have been. In my opinion, it not just a big city thing, Hache, although it may just be a So Am big city thing.

steveinbsas said:
OK, you can still come (just as long as you aren't licensed in Argentina and aren't trying to convert other expats from residency to citizenship).:p

I got it, my sin was to be too superficial and talk about very high heels tango shoes instead of citizenship, my mistake :D, sorry, I am Geminis.
Regards

BROOKLYN said:

Well, don´t go to a confiteria or restaurant around at night unless you are looking for prostitutes.

On San Martin Avenue, a block and a half from Cordoba, just in between 2 "cabarets" you have Dada, a tiny good restaurant full of girls who are there just for fun (not working ;)).

Regards

steveinbsas said:
I bet you can drink where you are right now, but you're welcome here anytime.:)

(That is an invitation.)

Oh shit, I just remembered, you are a lawyer.:eek:

OK, you can still come (just as long as you aren't licensed in Argentina and aren't trying to convert other expats from residency to citizenship).

I'm the only expat around here, anyway (I don't count Mormon missionaries, but they try to convert everyone).

Hopefully I'm not a lawyer, I've already got enough defects, changed my mind after 4 years studying Law :p
but I might pass the bar exam in Argentina in the coming years (criminal Law) in order to compete with BC :D

adotdotdam said:
So this will be my first time in BsAs. I have rented apartment on Reconquista close to Viamonte.

Going there early in January for a month to dance tango... and maybe hit Uruguay beaches. Depends on tangueras ;-)

I would welcome a few cents of your collective wisdom about living at this locale. So I will not have to discover that the place I was looking for is just around the other corner. Where to get my lunch, dinner? Banks, ATMs? Groceries, I love fruits!

Is Reconquista safe at midnight? at 3 am?
Best place to order custom made tango shoes?
Any other tips?

Your advice will be appreciated! Beer is on me at Krakow bar in San Thelmo. Canadian maple syrup anyone ? :eek:)

In response to your question, "Is Reconquista safe at midnight? at 3 am?"
Unfortunately, I don´t think there is a big city in the world that is safe at midnight, however if you are in a group and just going home at that hour you should be okay. At 3am unless you are inside a club, or restaurant, nobody should take chances and walk around at that hour. If your night finishes late or (early in the morning) while it´s still dark, spend the extra money for a radio taxi and get home safe and sound. Why take chances walking the streets in the wee hours of the night?

im thinking about going to pacha or la diosa. I dont want to be lingering around that area at night when I leave those clubs.

Back