Advice for living in Microcentro

MizzMarr said:
I wouldn't live in Microcentro if you paid me. If you can, get out of your arrangement and move somewhere else!

This is good advice but according to the OP it's too late.

It's also too bad that mini and Bajo_cero2 had their discussion about Tango shoes and manners in this thread. It may not stand out in searches using the word "tango" as there are so many threads which include the term and the information they shared had been very interesting.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Interesting, we feel (at milongas) that foreigners don´t respect our personal space and they only think about their self no matter what happens to people around.

In real life, who knows, what do you mean by lack of respect for your personal space?

I would guess that in a milonga (I'm not a dancer so I have only ever watched at a milonga) maybe the problem with the foreigners dancing is that they're learning and focusing more on the process of the steps than anything else? It's too bad, though.

As to real life, well, I mean the way that people here just cruise on their path without ever making room for or appearing to think about anybody but themselves on their path. I have seen people run straight into each other and barely take notice. I have had to step out of the way of people ready to run me down in order not to get trampled . Out of frustration I have actually tried shoulder checking someone when standing my ground walking forward on the sidewalk (in case you don't know, that means literally bumping them hard with your shoulder) and the person who I bumped didn't notice or care! In the grocery stores people will be walking down the aisle with a full cart standing with their hand on the cart handle, but arm extended (possibly even talking on the phone) and looking at something on the other side of the aisle and not notice that people simply cannot get through.

The examples could go on and on. It's just very different culturally than what I'm used to, when someone who bumped into you might say "excuse me" or be legitimately sorry (or notice) if they knock something out of your hand, or burn your jacket with a cigarette. Maybe I'm just being uptight and need to work on my mellow "no pasa nada" attitude, but it's definitey something that frustrates me in BA (and I have talked at length with various foreigners about this, so I know I'm not making this phenomenon up! ;)).

Bajo_cero2 said:
The girl is coming for tango, remember?

The OP asked for advice about two areas. She didn't ask if they were close to places to dance tango. Nice places for lunch and diner as well as good locales to buy groceries and fresh fruit were specified. So was security in the we small hours. I couldn't recommend either of the areas she asked about, especially the one at Reconquista and Viamonte. Good advice was given and it was acknowledged by the OP. She actually asked for additional advice after making a commitment to rent a place, making this thread a waste of everyone's time unless they dance tango and need to buy shoes (good information that should have been posted in it's own thread so more who would benefit from it could see it).

I have friends who come to BA to dance tango. They never rent in the Microcenter. One of them bought an apartment near Plaza Italia after staying in Recoleta where he thought he could walk to places to dance. He abandoned that idea rather quickly (given the late night hours he goes to dance).

I was in a real nice building but there was a homeless guy took ownership of the archway / shelter in front lol and every night around 2am he would start screaming

Was scarey

Then he attracted some more homeless screaming friends

steveinbsas said:
This is good advice but according to the OP it's too late.

It's also too bad that mini and Bajo_cero2 had their discussion about Tango shoes and manners in this thread. It may not stand out in searches using the word "tango" as there are so many threads which include the term and the information they shared had been very interesting.

Are you the thread police now? :p

adotdotdam said:
Going there early in January for a month to dance tango... and maybe hit Uruguay beaches. Depends on tangueras ;-)

Best place to order custom made tango shoes?
Any other tips?

Tango shoes & tango manners are perfectly relevant to the OPs original post. Thank you very much. Never mind the fact that you also discussed tango in a reply to the OP. :confused:

Anyway, I didn't talk about manners. That was someone else. I only talked about shoes. If you want to "call out" people than it would be nice to call out the right people. ;)

mini said:
Are you the thread police now? :p

If I was I would have busted Bajo_cero2 for posting as a lawyer trolling for clients and dominating a thread I started about "Argentine citizenship for foreigners" when I specifically only wanted to know if any expats had actually applied for citizenship and could share their experience.

Other Argentine lawyers who are members of the forum showed more self control.

The individual who started this thread asked for advice, got good feedback, ignored it, then asked for more advice when it was "too late" to take it.

I used the "Tango Map" to find the name of the barrio she was asking about (San Nicolas). This map is also useful to see how to get to the places to dance from the better areas to stay (while avoid the "less desirable" areas). I never used it for that purpose as I never had any interest in the (vertical) tango. It's a great "pocket" map that shows the subway lines in addition to the streets that run above them.

All that (good) stuff you and Bajo_cero2 wrote about manners and shoes will only be read by the few who bother to read a thread with a title about living in the Microcenter, and that's unfortunate.

adotdotdam said:
I gather that the Reconquista at this point is a pedestrian zone. So, how to call a taxi? Meet at the corner of Viamonte?

When you call a taxi they will sometimes call you to tell you they are outside. You'll have to work out how they will deal with your location.

If you want a shoe shopping partner, get in touch! ;) It really a lot of fun.

& now that I've been chastised by Steve for not giving you recommendation to eat:

Filo (yummy pizza), San Martin 975 (& Paraguay)
Sipan, Paraguay 624 (+/- Maipu)
Dada, San Martín 941 (& Paraguay)

mini said:
& now that I've been chastised by Steve for not giving you recommendation to eat:

Where did I say anything about you and eating?

Back