Advice On Buying A Used Car Please

Can not drive out of the country, period

Not quite true. Several years ago, in Puerto Octay, I met a Swiss family who purchased an SUV in Bariloche with the idea of driving the Carretera Austral, but Argentine customs refused to let them take it out of the country because it was a "vehículo nacional" (rather than private property, apparently). They returned to Bariloche and obtained a power of attorney in favor of the seller's brother, who drove the vehicle across the border, whereupon they bought him a bus ticket back to Argentina (yeah, you got that right, they couldn't drive it across the border, but they could authorize someone else to do so).

I did that once, many years ago, with a vehicle purchased from my father-in-law, but we left the car in his name for that reason. Now, though, I own a Chilean car because the chilenos don't care whether or not I'm a resident, or whether I take it across the border.

I own a Chilean car because the chilenos don't care whether or not I'm a resident, or whether I take it across the border.

For a moment I dreamt to be able to import my EU car to Chile and then drive it here. You're a dream crusher!

For a moment I dreamt to be able to import my EU car to Chile and then drive it here. You're a dream crusher!
Why not buy a new Fiat 500 here using Blue Euros?

fiat500c.jpg

Why not buy a new Fiat 500 here using Blue Euros?

FIAT cars are shit, and FIAT got so many government funds (paid by ALL of us Italians) just to EXPORT its production to Brazil and Eastern Europe.
They should rot in hell and won't have any more euros from me.
There is people killing themselves because they are left unemployed by this bunch of criminals, you know...

And I have a nice BMW waiting for me in Italy. If only I could bring her here!

FIAT cars are shit, and FIAT got so many government funds (paid by ALL of us Italians) just to EXPORT its production to Brazil and Eastern Europe.
They should rot in hell and won't have any more euros from me.
There is people killing themselves because they are left unemployed by this bunch of criminals, you know...

And I have a nice BMW waiting for me in Italy. If only I could bring her here!
That's the reason Italy's economy is in the crapper, because Italians are buying all the German stuff. I bet you would drink a Riesling with your sushi instead of a fine Italian made Fernet! It's because of people like you that Italians have to take orders from Frau Merkel!

That's the reason Italy's economy is in the crapper, because Italians are buying all the German stuff. I bet you would drink a Riesling with your sushi instead of a fine Italian made Fernet! It's because of people like you that Italians have to take orders from Frau Merkel!

I have been hoping for Germany to invade Italy and instillate some reason in my people (both at higher levels and commoners), but unfortunately it is not gonna happen anytime soon.
Meanwhile, I buy Bosch, BMW and Braun.

I had to buy a Candy washing machine here and I felt ripped, at least I bought it second hand. We couldn't take our Bosch with us.
We just brought the Dishwasher (of course, Bosch) and iron (should I repeat myself? Bosch).

Two kudos to the English for our Dyson vacuum cleaner and Kenwood kitchen robot.

Italians? Let 'em eat cake.

Yes you can import then register it to Chile,as long it is a current year model and with very few km on the odometer.
Then can cross into AR but doubting if able to register Chilean car to Argentina..?

Yes you can import then register it to Chile,as long it is a current year model and with very few km on the odometer.

It's a 2010 model with almost 50,000 km.
I cannot import it to Argentina because its value (incl. shipping) is over 15,000 USD. I cannot import it to Uruguay or Chile because they don't allow importing used cars.

It's on sale in Italy, now, but there are too many scammers out there to deal with this remotely. They all want to pay by check and on a Friday!

Not quite true. Several years ago, in Puerto Octay, I met a Swiss family who purchased an SUV in Bariloche with the idea of driving the Carretera Austral, but Argentine customs refused to let them take it out of the country because it was a "vehículo nacional" (rather than private property, apparently). They returned to Bariloche and obtained a power of attorney in favor of the seller's brother, who drove the vehicle across the border, whereupon they bought him a bus ticket back to Argentina (yeah, you got that right, they couldn't drive it across the border, but they could authorize someone else to do so).

I did that once, many years ago, with a vehicle purchased from my father-in-law, but we left the car in his name for that reason. Now, though, I own a Chilean car because the chilenos don't care whether or not I'm a resident, or whether I take it across the border.

The same works with a tarjeta azul. So you own the car as a tourist but have an Argentine (significan other, buddy etc.) with a tarjeta azul for your car do the paperwork at the border. The only issue I could see in both cases is when you continue the travel without the Argentine in Chile and get pulled over by the Carabineros - as the permit from border has the Argentine's name on it and not yours.

Back