Advice Please

CoffeeExpert

Registered
Hello everyone , I hope you can help me out. I'm looking for some advice as to whether or not it makes sense for my wife and I to move to Buenos Aires. I am a coffee Roastmaster with ten years of experience, I hear you have bad coffee there and I would like to fix that ;) My amazing wife works four part time jobs, is a full time student going to school for hotel management, and she has a nursing degree from Ukraine. We would like to have children, retirement savings, and she would like to obtain a masters degree or more. The problem is that with our combined income, we cannot and will not be able to afford any of those things in America- if you are curious I can break down our expenses for you. The plan I have in mind is to buy a $40k condo in Argentina, go to school there, get medical care and have children. We would spend one full year in each country and rent out either condo the rest of the year. We would all over time obtain dual citizenship. If I found a job at a coffee company in Argentina and she transferred with her employer Hyatt, we may at some point be able to live in Argentina permanently.

A $40,000 dollar condo? That's what a parking space costs here. If you can find a $40,000 dollar condo in Buenos Aires let us know. We all want one. Anyone who thinks that the cost of living in Argentine is lower than anywhere else will be seriously disappointed. It's sad, but true.

Park Hyatt Hotel recently changed most of their employees and hired all knew ones. My friend was lucky enough to get a job there. Check their website and maybe they still something available.

40k won't buy you too much I'm afraid. Have you looked at argenprop.com.ar recently? Its hard enough to find a good plot to build on at that price.

Why Argentina? It is expensive right now.

And even if you found that non existing 40 thousand dollar Condo, a year later when you are frustrated with the incredibly high inflation, crime, and poor paying jobs and want to leave, you will not easily be able to sell it, or easily get your dollars out of the country.

We do have bad coffee here although I'm guessing that its not because of a lack of know how from the coffee roasters but rather a lack of demand from consumers.

That's the current state of things but I think could be on the verge of a big shift towards good coffe culture. Starbucks has taken off like crazy (I mean crazy!) and while most people are still in there ordering frappuccinos, every day it seems like I see more people ordering espresso and drip coffees and bags of coffee to take home. I think ba could really be ready for some good coffee in its historic cafes.

You have specialized skills in a tiny almost non existent industry which may or may not be poised to grow. You'll most likely have to create the opportunity for yourself rather than respond to a help wanted but I'd give you better odds at finding real success than the dozens of would be expats trying to make it with assorted computer system experience.

No 40k condos though.

I would suggest renting somewhere for a few months while you check out the lay of the land.
You make it all sound so easy, but what you really need is some hands-on facts and experience.

Interested as to where you read the $40k figure. A modest condo in a rentable to tourists neighbourhood would cost $80 - $140 K.

Good luck finding anything here in that price range. As for the coffee situation, expats with a little ingenuity simply buy green coffee beans for cheaper than the crappy coffee they sell here and roast their own at home so they have the freshest possible brew everyday. I suggest you peruse this forum to see the nightmare of fees, bribes & insane taxes you will be required to pay to run a business here before you pack up the family and move down here.

Back