Airbnb payments in USD

El Vagante

Registered
I'm a newly arrived tourist from the U.S. I found a hotel online, but the website I used generates the price in USD by taking the hotel's ARS rate and converting to dollars at the official exchange rate. So I talked to the hotel owner who told me his exchange rate (not quite the blue rate, but okay) and I paid cash USD.
I'd like to use Airbnb to rent a short term apartment but Airbnb doesn't allow cash payment. So the question is, how does Airbnb generate the listed price for an apartment? I tried emailing an Airbnb apartment owner here in BA and asking if I could pay cash, but they said no. I guess I'm still in the dark. Is it possible for a dollar-based person like me to rent an Airbnb and get the blue rate?

I'm a newly arrived tourist from the U.S. I found a hotel online, but the website I used generates the price in USD by taking the hotel's ARS rate and converting to dollars at the official exchange rate. So I talked to the hotel owner who told me his exchange rate (not quite the blue rate, but okay) and I paid cash USD.
I'd like to use Airbnb to rent a short term apartment but Airbnb doesn't allow cash payment. So the question is, how does Airbnb generate the listed price for an apartment? I tried emailing an Airbnb apartment owner here in BA and asking if I could pay cash, but they said no. I guess I'm still in the dark. Is it possible for a dollar-based person like me to rent an Airbnb and get the blue rate?
Alas. Airbnb is in the same boat with the hotels, official rate. Sucks big time as both the owners and the tourists get screwed over and the govt take half, but they can't accept cash - it's against Airbnb rules. The only way you can pay cash is to know the owner and arrange with them outside of aribnb, but you have to know them wel land trsut them and vs versa, which is only possible when staying long term or multiple times in the same place. Look ate craigslist and soloduenos, they take cash and wil lnegotiate

If the owner is getting something like US$ 20 a day , he will charge a monthly rental as stated in most Airbnb adds lets say $480 ... ! So what will you offer him in pesos ? He will want the Blue rate.
The only way has been for me to befriend the landlord and after a couple of month workout a month to month rate in pesos

I think you´ll have to pay using PayPal.

Airbnb is only used by gringos and people with dollars. If you're using it the owner knows you have dollars and will want to separate you from them at a blue rate agreement.

Not sure what the locals use to find rentals. 3 years later and I still haven't figured this out.

Airbnb is only used by gringos and people with dollars. If you're using it the owner knows you have dollars and will want to separate you from them at a blue rate agreement.

Not sure what the locals use to find rentals. 3 years later and I still haven't figured this out.

Argentinians from the interior book Airbnb places in BA in dollars with their CC . Also Brazilians , Chilenos, Uruguayans , etc. Although their currency is not the dollar and pay their CC in local currency
Locals find rentals in zonaprop.com and soloduenos.com plus Facebook and other online pages

Somebody suggested craigslist and soloduenos. I found a guy who owns some apartments just by mooching around on booking dot com and contacting him directly instead of booking through the site. Craigslist has very few BA apartments but I messaged one English-speaking owner there.
I don't know what the locals do, just thought to put in my two cents. Rich One posted about locals. If locals book Airbnb using dollars, maybe it's not the ripoff I feared

Last edited:
Back